Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my cylinder ready 85, with a little oil got up to 100 WOOT.. Looks like i got some blow by... what should I do?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do i do a leak down test? ohh btw.. oil comes out of the oil cap when i get on it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You have bad rings if oil comes out fo the dipstick. You can try a crank vent if you just wanna get by, or you can do a qucik fix and just put in new rings.

You will ahve to pull the head and the oil pan and remove the piston and the rod.

Then you need to hone the cyl walls and clean everything really really good.

Then put the new piston and rings in... might ass well do all 6 if one went bad.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A leak down test is done at a garage (you need an air compressor and special guage). They are very accurate for diagnosing engine problems before you go to the expense of tearing the engine down.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just went out.. the dip stick dont leak but the oil cap does and I replaced the seal on it about 6 month ago.. I did call mitsu and get a new seal ordered.. I might double stack it for a tight fit. I dont see smoke behind me when I drive so I dont think I'm burning that good expensive mobile 1 oil. I might put some Marvlin (sp) stuff in it.. not sure... I DONT WANTA TEAR MY ENGINE DOWN... waaahhhhh if do, When i replace the rings and hone it out the wonderful cylinders can I use the stock pistons back in it.. Do i need a machine shop on any of this. hmmm i wonder if jeff's site has a step by step on this...

·
Registered
94 Posts
If your cylinders are in reasonably good shape, you can hone the walls so the new rings will seat. This can be done with a drill hone. The stock pistons can be reused. Depending on your car's mileage it might be just a temporary fix before you have to rebuild the motor anyway.

If the car isn't burning a lot of oil or fouling the plug, just leave it till it gets worse. Sometimes getting accurate compression readings at home isn't that easy. What I'm saying is, I would double check, before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the plug is fouling, its all black.. its on the back bank but when i change the spark plugs and compression test it I notice it was black...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Rebuild

How much would that cost to replace the rings without pulling the motor? That sounds like the same problem I have.

·
4,613 Posts
If oil raises the compression on a compression tester ie wet test higher than dry it is rings, wet test would do nothing to raise compression if it were the heads (valves)

Stock compression test should show 150psi or so not 120psi, last test I ran looked like this

1,2,3,5 - 145+/-
4 - 135
6 - 100

:(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brainfood. do you still drive your car everyday with the compression so low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.