Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Alright well problem solved. Turns out the vacuum line from the boost controller to the waste gate T connector was completely undone. Idles back around -9psi now. Now the real question is why I was making full boost without my boost controller hooked up lol.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Alright well problem solved. Turns out the vacuum line from the boost controller to the waste gate T connector was completely undone. Idles back around -9psi now. Now the real question is why I was making full boost without my boost controller hooked up lol.
Um, maybe i am reading wrong, but if you did not have any pressure reference to the waste gates they would not open at all unless they are getting blown open from back pressure alone? I am surprised you didnt massively overboost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Um, maybe i am reading wrong, but if you did not have any pressure reference to the waste gates they would not open at all unless they are getting blown open from back pressure alone? I am surprised you didnt massively overboost.
Wastegate pressure is like 7psi on stock turbos I thought, so without a boost controller to hold them shut the would open at 7psi.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, but didnt you just say that the line that goes to the wastegates was disconnected? What you said is true if you put a boost reference (vacuum line) directly to the wastegates with no MBC in between. But if the line from the MBC to the wastegates was open to atmosphere, you would have no boost reference for the wastegates, so nothing would be pushing them open at 7psi.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,002 Posts
It is kind of a catch 22 lol. As mentioned, without a reference, the turbos should be working their heart out... BUT that same open line is also a massive boost leak heh (further noted by the severely low vacuum reading at idle)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts