Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 vr4 and I have a intake and a blitz super sound blow off valve installed. I plan on adding more mods such as downpipe, exhaust, gut cats, boost controller, and eventually bigger turbos. The question that I have is I have heard cars whose blow off valves are really really loud. I can hear mine but I want it to be louder. How do I make my whoosh sound louder? I know that with the blitz I had to leave the stock blow off valve and just bypass it. It is still on there though. It is open atmosphere and not close loop. Would taking off the stock blow off valve make it louder or is it even possible. I have heard that it can cause the car to stall out sometimes. Does the screw on the top of the blitz blow off valve have anything to do with how loud the whoosh is? I need some help on this whole blow off valve thing. I have heard a mr2 with just the stock blow off valve and it was extremely loud. Please help

·
.5 Man .5 Dinosaur !!!!!!
1,340 Posts
bov

Ok, take your stock out and plud the intake with an vitamin bottle cap, or something like that. The screw on your BOV is to make the spring tight or loose.
I had this same prob, so i called Altered Atmosphere and one of the techs told me to take toe stock out. It is nice and loud now. I capped it with engine caps sold at Autozone.
Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

·
Registered
856 Posts
redgtvr4 said:
Get an Open Atmosphere. My Apex-i is loud!
Ever get weird idling? You know open atmosphere blow off valves are blowing off metered air, right?

.jon

R

·
0 Posts
this would not be a problem on idle. Remember, open atmosphere only messes with a/f ratio when air that was allready metered is allowed to be blown off. This only occurs during shifts when the BOV releases air to the atmosphere. During idle the BOV is not blowing off allready metered air. It is on the closed position.

My vr4 idles smooth as hell at 750rpm

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sweet - makes sense. I've just heard of people having idle trouble w/o open loop bov's. Nice to know she's runnin well :)

.jon

·
Registered
467 Posts
I tried running mine open and the only problem I had was stalling when coming to a stop. If it started Idling, it was fine.
You do know you can take the silencer out of the stock valve, right?

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
silencer out of the stock valve>?......no, please explain!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks I will try to make it louder. I will let you all know what happens. Thanks again for the information

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
what silencer and how do ya do it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
bov

I used a SAAB 9000 compresor by pass valve. It cost me 45 dollars. It holds high boost and the internals are not plastic. Its o.d. is a little smaller but it is the same configuration. It vents back to intake and is very loud at 10 psi! Soon to be louder when I install my 550 cc injectors and turn the boost up!

·
blingalicous
940 Posts
if you have the older blitz type, with the horn attached, try taking out the metal grille inside the horn. when i got mine new, the instructions said to install the grille, but after having the same problem, i took it out and it was pretty loud.

·
Registered
467 Posts
there's a silencer inside the intake. pull the MAF off and you'll see it. It's basically a plastic tee. take the stock BOV out, reach inside the intake (the big hole where the MAF connects and yank it out. Easy as anything and makes it a lot louder.

·
Vr-4 Evr
2,027 Posts
redgtvr4 said:
this would not be a problem on idle. Remember, open atmosphere only messes with a/f ratio when air that was allready metered is allowed to be blown off. This only occurs during shifts when the BOV releases air to the atmosphere. During idle the BOV is not blowing off allready metered air. It is on the closed position.

My vr4 idles smooth as hell at 750rpm

redline first gear real fast then come to a quick stop and watch how it idles=)

R

·
0 Posts
nytemyst said:

redline first gear real fast then come to a quick stop and watch how it idles=)
do, and she still runs..hmmmmmm

mayby all new motor helps?

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
I run an HKS SS BOV and have never stalled. My car idles just fine at around 700 rpms. I even adjsuted the screw all the way in and back out without much difference. I think the way HKS uses the pull type system is what allows HKS users to run open with no ill-effects.

The Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve (SSQV) is a pull type relief valve. The SSQV is actuated by pressure alterations only, ensuring quick valve response and complete closure during idle. Typical blow-off valves utilize large valves in order to accommodate high boost/high hp applications. However, these large valves react slowly and require high activation pressure to open. Smaller, fast reacting valves, do not permit the air flow required for high horsepower. The SSQV incorporates both for maximum performance. It is engineered utiliizing a small primary valve and a secondary valve for additional relief capacity. The SSQV is made of billet aluminum and emits a unique aggressive sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
redgtvr4 said:
do, and she still runs..hmmmmmm

mayby all new motor helps?
just because your ecu is trained since it's been like that for awhile, their still hurting their cars like that unless they convert their MAF to speed density

1 - 17 of 17 Posts