Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

loud engine knocking

698 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  lvbike
Help!
Today my engine ('91tt, 100k) started this awful knocking noise!Not on idle but around 2000-2500 rpm in first and second gear ,sounds like something got loosen . It comes from under the plenum picks up around 2500 rpm and last till 3500-4000 and dies , only if i push the gas pedal if it's reving down nothing.I hope it's not the rod , but if it's how much would it cost , can you do it yourself,and how to do it !
Thank you guys ! I need help now don't wanna drive the car , but no other !!!
Lajos
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Just to make sure, do a search on lash adjuster tick and see if some of the descriptions sound like what you have. I hope it nothing bad man. Good luck.
I did search for hours before posting the thread .This noise is too loud and comes on higher rpm instead of idle. i'm affraid it's a spun rod, but hope never dies and don't want to take it to the service yet bc the f^%&$.you up!
Thanx anyhow !
Still need input !:confused:
Thanx guys !
LAJOS
If it's a knocking sound then it's doubtful that it's lifter tick.
I know this will sound strange, but I had something wierd like that as well, and it went away when I poured a bottle of that Chevron Fuel Injector cleaner in the tank... it kinda faded out and has never returned.

ConFed
Can't hurt so i'll try the injector cleaner.
The worst thing is that i wasn't driving the car hard and this noise just came up .When i checked i noticed that the oil was low about 1 liter , but the oilgauge didn't show any different ( i really watch those gauges and there was no sign of running low in oil)
I hope i don't have to remove the engin eto replace the rod bearins and crank !
Thanx guys!
Still waiting more experince with simular problems!
Lajos
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.