Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 1995 3000gt dohc and every time I start my car or turn it off I hear a loud lower pitch droning go wah wah wah for a few seconds and then it stops. I thought it might of been the fuel pump but I’m pretty sure the pump is more in the back. The noise is in the behind the drivers side rear over the tire and it vibrates that area too. It gets louder and quieter sometimes but it’s been concerning since I’ve bought the car. This car has been really taken care of and I wants to keep it that way so please let me know what it is and if I can fix it. Thank you

·
Curmudgeon
5,737 Posts
Does your car have active exhaust? If so the actuator is right in that area, behind a panel in the hatch space.
A bit of noise is normal and it does cycle when you start the car, but it shouldn't be so loud that it's all that noticeable.
Try flipping the switch to see if that changes the noise and to verify that the active exhaust is working.
Another thought is that If the exhaust has been replaced it's possible that the actuator cable was disconnected and left dangling and is rubbing on something..
Oh! And congrats on your new car! Welcome aboard and Happy Motoring 😁 👍

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,197 Posts
Welcome! My guess would have been the power antenna, if applicable. That would/should be pretty obvious though.

·
Registered
95 VR-4 Spyder
142 Posts
Actually yeah, having a spyder, I forgot the antenna is back there on others, if it happens right when you turn the key to on or off, that's probably it. Turn your radio on and off and see if you hear it.

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your car have active exhaust? If so the actuator is right in that area, behind a panel in the hatch space.
A bit of noise is normal and it does cycle when you start the car, but it shouldn't be so loud that it's all that noticeable.
Try flipping the switch to see if that changes the noise and to verify that the active exhaust is working.
Another thought is that If the exhaust has been replaced it's possible that the actuator cable was disconnected and left dangling and is rubbing on something..
Oh! And congrats on your new car! Welcome aboard and Happy Motoring 😁 👍
Well I don’t think i have active exhaust, I got the SL model and it does it with and without sport mode on

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually yeah, having a spyder, I forgot the antenna is back there on others, if it happens right when you turn the key to on or off, that's probably it. Turn your radio on and off and see if you hear it.
It’s a weird noise like it’s pumping something becasue it does it in pulses , like a coffee maker, as for the radio I just got an after market radio so I’m not sure how to turn it on or off yet but I will try that

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! My guess would have been the power antenna, if applicable. That would/should be pretty obvious though.
How would I check that, I don’t think it works but how would I be able to check for that

·
Registered
95 VR-4 Spyder
142 Posts
I'd say find the fuse for the Radio, pull it and see if you hear the sound anymore, probably the easiest way to check. Unless theres some weird wiring here and there. Looks like it's number 3 on a 1997, not sure if it's the same for a 95. I don't think our radios are cross fed, but someone else might be able to verify.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
459 Posts
I would say the same thing
what it sounds like to me
When your antenna fully extends or retracts it will make this sound for about another 3 or 4 seconds and then quit .... turning car on or off won't matter it will still make this noise
instead of pulling the fuse.... try turning your source options if able to anything other then AM or FM ..... bluetooth .... CD or AUX.... should see the antenna retract and and turn off.... making the noise your hearing

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say find the fuse for the Radio, pull it and see if you hear the sound anymore, probably the easiest way to check. Unless theres some weird wiring here and there. Looks like it's number 3 on a 1997, not sure if it's the same for a 95. I don't think our radios are cross fed, but someone else might be able to verify.
You know what after paying more attention and going outside it sounds like it’s right under the antenna so I think your right, even when I plug the antenna hole with my finger it gets quieter. As for the radio fuse, I want to keep my radio on since it’s after market and whatnot but I just want to power off the power antenna then, how would I go about doing that. Would I just need to go ahead and make my way to the antenna motor and unplug it?

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say the same thing
what it sounds like to me
When your antenna fully extends or retracts it will make this sound for about another 3 or 4 seconds and then quit .... turning car on or off won't matter it will still make this noise
instead of pulling the fuse.... try turning your source options if able to anything other then AM or FM ..... bluetooth .... CD or AUX.... should see the antenna retract and and turn off.... making the noise your hearing
So it’s always on Bluetooth, I was told the antenna was broken by the car toys when they put the radio in. Although one time I think the electronics restarted themselves and the radio came on but I quickly changed it back to Bluetooth. Is there a fuse that would only be for the radio because I can’t find any fuse direction that’s just for the antenna

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
459 Posts
If you wanted to get rid of the noise I would unplug it directly at the antenna motor behind the left rear panel

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
459 Posts
Mine always makes noises and still works fine
Mostly makes the noise when I flash tune to my chrome ecu .... and every once in a while turning car on just before cranking car up sometimes

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine always makes noises and still works fine
Mostly makes the noise when I flash tune to my chrome ecu .... and every once in a while turning car on just before cranking car up sometimes
Yeah Im probably just gonna have to disconnect it, lotta work just to do that tho. It doesn’t even go up and the very top is gone but the noise happens every single time and for some reason it got louder.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
459 Posts
I've taken every panel out of my car do to at least something repair replace..... ther is no need to rush really just tedious work
Our cars teach patients

And a few lovely words spoken.... !! Haha
[email protected]$%..... *....!!!!

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
459 Posts
If your running bluetooth constantly .... I wouldnt worry bout the antenna at the moment... just unplug it .... if you ever go back to the radio .... with antenna unplugged.... best be a good radio station ....

·
Registered
1995 3000gt SL
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your running bluetooth constantly .... I wouldnt worry bout the antenna at the moment... just unplug it .... if you ever go back to the radio .... with antenna unplugged.... best be a good radio station ....
Thank you for the advice man, really had me thinking. I’m probably gonna take a weekend to fix that and a belt replacement. Honestly I think radio stations play garbage so if there’s Bluetooth I will always use it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is a picture of my Radio Antenna Motor, '93 3000GT, N/A, DOHC, Manual Gearbox.

I believe that the antenna motor is the connector at the bottom. I added the bronze looking thing to my turn signals so that using an LED bulb the turn signals flash at the correct speed. It's a resister that fools the car's flasher unit into thinking that the turn signal bulb is an old incandescent one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts