Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 2002 vette with an auto, vertible. Here's the results...

Well we did 3 runs
1 from a 3500 1st gear roll, 1 from a stop, and 1 from about a 5mph roll.

the first i pulled 2 lengths at the jump and they stayed there thru 1st and 2nd and we let off.

2nd race from a stop... they counted as i was stopping, i should have been ready. I ate them off the launch by about 4 lengths but burnt the clutch a bit. I had them at my 4-5 lenghts thru 1st, shift to second they pulled about a length, and about 5000 in 2nd its as if i let off. My car quit pulling as hard, they started gaining, and 3rd was completely dead. They said they were doing 90 when they caught me, and at about 100 i was at their bumper :(

3rd run from a 5mph roll, i had aboug 2-3 lengths before it evened out, and about the same speed as before they passed me :(

Its like my car loses ALL power above 5k in second and in every gear after that

DANG I GOTS TO GET IT FIXED!

i have let you down... sorry guys

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
good job getting atleast one out of 3. Corvettes are sweet cars and it sounded like you would have beat him all three times if your car was 100 percent. I really haven't heard or know anything about cars losing power after second gear. But yeah i would get that fixed too, its gotta suck to have a weak 3rd gear. Good luck with it

·
Registered
103 Posts
You DID NOT let us down. It's a C5! You held up just fine. If it were a civic or something then thats a different story, but considering what he payed for the Vette...you did great. If you put in the same amount of money into your car as he did, you'd kill him...guaranteed!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, my third gear pulls best. Somethins wrong somewhere.

Still, one outta three ain't bad.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Killing a C5 from a stop is very repectable. But the other 2 loses are where the C5 is pretty decent at. Those extra 2 cylinders help out alittle bit ;)
You still make me proud if that counts :D
Rich

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
No power in 3rd gear has got to be horrible. I think my car is deffinately strongest in 3rd gear. I don't know what I'd do if it went limp on me. (Because that's where I usually drop it when I'm on the interstate and start a race)

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
is something wrong with it, or not? The drop-off in the stock turbos is most evident in 3rd gear, might just be that.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but 94 mph traps? does that sound right... see my mods, and it was on a fresh tune up

·
Jack Stand Driver
978 Posts
To me it sounds like you might have a boost leak some where...but i cant tell you for sure.
sorry man :(
But like everyone else you didnt let us down!...like naughtyTTsaid...
think about how much money they spent for that C5...and how much you spent!;) well hope you find out for sure what is wrong.
latez'

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
me $5500 for car, 350 for clutch, free bleeder, $50 for used K&N conical, $50 for boost gauge afmeter and pod.... i'm looking pretty good at that :)

This weekend i'm putting on KYB's and Eibachs :)

·
3,903 Posts
94 mph traps = ugh
you've done compression tests I assume?

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Sounds like you might be overpowering your clutch, especially if its bad. I had major slippage in third gear when running hard with a very good factory clutch, that when I pulled it, had lots of life / material left. And you and I are at about the same power level.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Fastrnyou!!!

I think I may have some insight to what described as power dropping off. I have a '91 also. My only mods have been a bleeder valve and a test pipe.

My best 1/4 was a 13.73 at 95 mph.

I believe the problem is the bleeder valve. I think that it is a cheap way to up the boost but definitly not a permanent mod.

On my car I have it set to as close to 15psi as i can get. But under full throttle I will peak at 15 or close to it and then the power drops off... In every gear. I don't think the bleeder valve system works very well at maintaining a specific level of boost (therefore, power drops off.)

Does this make any sense to anyone else. I plan on getting an electric boost controller that will control the boost level and also prevent from over boosting.

Question: I noticed that when I am going anything more than 45- 50 mph and floor it, my car will way over boost, like to 16 17 18 psi. Does your car do this?

Later,
Jon

·
Registered
291 Posts
Bleeder valves are bad. They have a tendency to spike too much and drop boost at higher rpms. Get a EBC you'll love it. Won't spike and will hold boost much better. Even a good MBC is way better then a Bleeder.

·
3,903 Posts
but you should trap at about 100 mph completely stock, as long as the engine is healthy

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I will be getting an EBC soon.

The Bleeder valve was just a quick fix. For 5 bucks I picked up like 4 psi.

You get what you pay for. Somethin' you pay 5 bucks for is not going to work as well as somethin' you pay $300 for..

·
Registered
291 Posts
I thought the 91s only had 280hp. Will they trap 100mph like the 320hp cars do?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
91's have 300HP at 9.5 lbs of boost, the 94+ had 320Hp at 12lbs of boost.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
kay... so since I have been off this for a while... lemme congratulate Dave. A 2002 C5 is a mean beast.

2nd. I had the same problem. He is using my old bleeder. It isn't the spike nor the drop off... he is overpowering either the clutch, or the BOV.

He has a 1st gen DSM valve waiting on an adapter. The clutch however is the most likely bet.

He put in an O'Reilly's clutch. OEM replacement. That much boost and at BPU level (which he is nearly at) should be putting out nearly 300-330WHP... that will overpower a stock mitsu clutch... with that parts store replacement... he's bound to be losing it.

It will be evident in the top of 2nd (full load and once you hit full boost in 2nd the clutch will slip slightly and you'll have a massive power drop. In 3rd you have full load from the word go. You'll feel like you hit a brick wall. I had a 125shot and decent mod stang rape me because of this a while back- 1st and 2nd gear I gained very well... by 90... I was 4 cars back. That is nearly 7 lengths that he made up in nearly 10mph!!!!!!

I would bet the farm it was the clutch. The BOV doesn't help... it IS leaking some- and that means that once it gets fixed- the clutch will slip just a little more!

Good luck dave- the Stealth is still in Tulsa at mom and dad's awaiting the FMIC getting welded fully. Should be done later this week or early next.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts