Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't tell if my car is losing oil or not...but are our cars prone to anything that might lead to this? It's a 94 SL with 70,000 miles on it.

V

·
0 Posts
My 94 SL usually loose about 1 quart every 3,000miles.It has
120,000 miles on it.
My VR-4 consume more oil than the SL.Maybe around 2.3 quarts
every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
557 Posts
yep,higher milelage mitsu's like oil.....yum!:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
3/S cars are prone to loosing oil two ways: leaks from the cam an/or main seals or burning it from bad valve guides and/or seals at around the 100-120 K mi mark. BTW, 1 quart in 3000 mi is normal oil consuption.

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car is LOSING OIL, I had an oil change about 300 miles ago....maybe 500. The car sounded funny the other day and I checked the oil and it was low already. Before the oil change I went to check the oil one day and it was EMPTY...or close.

The car isn't leaving oil puddles anywhere, and there is no smoke to be seen...what gives?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been burning 1 qt. every thousand miles since I've had the car. No smoke, no leak, passes smog everytime.

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
Priscoj said:
I can't tell if my car is losing oil or not...but are our cars prone to anything that might lead to this? It's a 94 SL with 70,000 miles on it.

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47678

Having no oil at all?

Since that last thread post you have only put on around a 1,000 miles kinda strange that you are losing it all that fast.

have you tried running the car in a stationery position for about 5 minutes. to see if anything pools up?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Is sounds like your loosing oil at about 2 -3 quarts in 500 miles, so the oil has to be going somewhere. Double check for leaks as stated above and check coolant for oil. Check the engine block, valve covers for oil residue. Bad valve guides create oil burning when the engine in under high vacuum such as idling or deceleration. I have heard of a couple of cases where smoking was found only under deceleration and not idling. Rev the engine a few times and immediately check the exhaust for smoke. Also, check the inside of the exhaust pipe for oily residue.

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts