Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I get an oil smell sometimes when I am driving. It seems to be about half the time I am driving, but I really don't use much oil at all. Now about 4 to 5 months ago, I pulled off an IC line and there was a large amount of oil accumulated at the bottom of the line. So I pulled off all IC lines (from turbos to plenum) and cleaned them out. I also pulled off the passenger side IC and cleaned it (could get the driver's side one off). Today I checked again, and 4 or 5 months later the lines are completely clean. I figured there would be a pretty good film of oil, but it almost seems like there is no oil in them whatsoever. I'm am really quite amazed b/c I just figured my turbo seals were going out and that would explain the oil smell, but guess not. Furthermore, the area directly around and below the oil filler cap has a thin layer of oil. Now, my oil filler cap fits very tight, I added a new gasket to it, so now it has the old one and a new one on it. Kinda scaring at first, but when the oil cap is removed while the engine is running, there is no noticeable air coming out of it. So how can I keep oil from coming out of the cap?
Also, quite a while back, I had backed my car up to our garage door, and after sitting awhile, I started it up, then rev'd it slight a couple times, and to my surprise, the garage door had all these little black spots on it. (I am preparing to see if it will still do that here shortly).
Also, about 3 months back, I stopped in a parking lot and talked to one of my friends, leaving my car idle for about 30 to 45 minutes, then when I took off, he said that I had some oil smoke come out of my exhaust (keeping in mind this was after cleaning my IC's and IC lines, and they are still clean).

My questions are-
Where is my oil getting used at?

and If you don't know-
how can I tell?
under certain problems, when should I smell the oil, or when should I get oil smoke from my exhaust?

Now remember that I said that it seems like I'm using large amounts of oil, but I am surprised evertime when I check the oil, because either it hasn't used any, or it hasn't used very much. I'm gonna make a good guess here; maybe using a quart of oil per oil change, and it seems like it get slightly worse with the more miles on the oil. Any help would be wonderful!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, just check my exhaust. I place a big piece of cardboard behind the exhaust, started it up and reved it a couple times, nothing on the cardboard. Let it idle for about 5 minutes, reved it and it splattered water all over the cardboard (two round spots about 2.5 to 3 inch in diameter, and water ran down the cardboard in places. There was a lot of water sitting in the end of my pipe, so I ran my finger through it and it made my finger black, but didn't smell like oil at all, (just carbon?) Can I get smoke from my exhaust from this water that came out? And I know water smoke is blue, and my friend said it looked like oil smoke, but I'm beginning to think that I'm not actually burning oil, maybe its just leaking onto the exhaust or something. There is a lot of grime along the bottom of the car. Any ideas?

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Oil is bluish smoke. Water is white "smoke" - vapor really. Unburnt fuel (carbon) is black/dark gray smoke. Water is normal and expected in the exhaust. The black crud in the tail pipe is normal and is carbon from a rich fuel mixture - normal for the most part when boosting.

It sound like like you are not really burning oil. Turbo seals do not repair themselves. So since your IC pipes are clean after the turbos, the turbos are probably fine.

If you smell oil - like burnt oil? - then there may be a leak on your engine somewhere. Inspect everywhere and see where the oil is at. Sometimes when adding oil I spill a little and this causes a smell for a while - oil cooking on front turbo heat shield and front manifold.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it will still use oil, it just seems like it doesn't go down at all until one time when I check it and its down a quarter quart. I check my oil twice a day. Its just kinda weird how it all disappears all at one time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts