Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i bought my car the emergency brake has not worked right. It is really hard to engage because it seems very loose. If I park on a hill it will usually not engage enough to hold the car in place so I have to leave the car in a gear along with the brake which i hate to do. Is there any was to tighten the thing myself or am I going to have to get it fixed at a shop? I was just wondering because it really annoys me to have to fight with the thing just to have it barely tighten. Thankx to all suggestions.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If you have a manual transmission, then leaving your car in gear when you park is actually a good idea, and not at all harmful. It does no damage to anything, and you get the extra braking power of 6 high-compression cylinders helping to hold you in place.

Forget all that, though, if you have an auto tranny. Shift from drive or reverse to neutral, apply your brake, and only then shift from neutral to park.

The cable *can* be tightened up a bit, as I had my Mitsu guy do mine while he had the car for the day, but I'm sorry to say that I cannot tell you myself how to do it, as I didn't do it.

One other note: even after the tightening, the cable seems to be slowly going slack again within just a few months. I can't keep tightening the thing forever, so the answer may be a new cable.

Which is strange, because bicycles have taught me that a cable stretches most when it is new, whereas the Stealth parking brake cable seems to be stretching most now that it's old.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much would a new brake run me? How much would it cost just to get the thing tightened. Maybe I could pay attention while the mechanic tightens it so that I could just do it myself from then on. Thanx man.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Sorry, but I can't answer you for the labour costs either. My Mitsu guy was putting on new struts and shocks, and I got him to throw in the cable tightening as a freebie.

(and I'm strictly guessing here, because I'm at work and the shop manual is at home) It's likely that, where the cable joins the bottom of the brake handle, there is some mechanical mechanism for tightening the cable. For example, one of those thingies with the name I don't know that looks like a piece of threaded stock, threaded on both ends, and something screwed onto either end, and you just thread on or off one of the end pieces in order to tighten or loosen.

If you can jack your car up high enough, get underneath it and see if the brake handle is visible. Since the cable has to run externally to the rear brakes, there's a good chance it is. Maybe you can see whatever it takes to tighten it up.

I'd have to think that tigthening a stupid brake cable is going to be easy - it's just the getting access to it part that will be a cow.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
why don't u just tighten the nut underneath the console...all you have to do is remove the console (4 screws) and you should be able to see the nut that holds the brake pedal cables...that's it!!!!

·
Curmudgeon
5,542 Posts
You should probably pull the rear brakes off and check the emergency brake shoes. You could have one hanging up in there, or they could be all worn down. Tightening the cable without checking the brake could lead to bigger problems latter. If everything looks good there's an adjustment at each wheel, as well as the one Fastboy mentioned under the console.
Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts