Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Today I removed the driver side interior trunk panel to find the factory phone connections back there.

Good news: I found it!

Bad news: The power supply connector for the phone transceiver is not the right connector to plug directly into the transceiver. I'm guessing the dealer install kit must have included an adapter/extension harness. I sent an email to Sheridan Engineering asking if they can identify/supply the connector I need to make my own adapter. I have the pigtail harness of the phone from the "mobile mounting kit", so it's easy if I can get ahold of the correct connector to plug into the factory wiring. Worst case, I'll have to splice the phone's pigtail into the factory wiring.

There's a total of 4 connectors coming out of a long bundle of factory wiring that is folded up a couple times and tucked behind a vertical support next to the left rear strut tower. I haven't un-taped and unfolded the wiring yet. here's where everything was...

This is 2 connectors that would plug into the "hands free controller" to integrate the phone with steering-column-mounted hands free controls and the factory audio system. The white connector has a 2-wire jumper to complete the circuit to the front right speakers when the cell phone option is not installed.

This is the phone cable that runs to the center console in the front to connect to the handset:

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

And this is the stupid power supply connector that won't plug directly into the phone transceiver :(. You can also see part of the entire wiring harness folded up and tucked behind the vertical support. That wire that splits off and runs down to the lower right is wiring for the CD changer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I now have a mounting stand for the handset cradle:

This is a PanaVise Model# 727-06SF. Link to manufacturer page: https://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=510

I'm impressed with how sturdy the stand is when the adjustable joints are tightened. It takes a decent amount of force to clip the phone in/out of the cradle, so I was concerned that the adjustable joints would move slightly. I no longer have any concern. I think the stand will stay exactly positioned as I want it.

Tomorrow I will try installing it in the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Handset successfully installed in the car!

Here's what I did. First, prepare the handset cradle by removing the included wiring (won't be needing that; the car has its own wiring), and mounting it to the pedestal mount:

Then move to the car and experiment with where to mount the base of the mount on the passenger side center console carpet panel so that the phone can be positioned nicely without blocking the glove box from opening, and where there's going to be space behind the panel for the end of a bolt and a nut for all 4 mounting holes. You'll see the location I settled on soon...

Now remove the center console armrest/storage, and the passenger side center console carpet panel (I won't go into those details).

Drill holes for bolting the foot of the mount to the carpet panel. Here's a few different views of where mine ended up:

Notice how I avoided mounting to the lower more vertical section of the panel because it is tucked in closer to the center console and wiring. Mounting to the slanted part allows the bolts/nuts to protrude at an upward angle into an empty space behind the panel.

And here's the hardware I used:

I was very lucky to have the perfect hardware in my stash of random spare hardware. The black screws are size 8-32 x 1/2", with appropriately sized nuts and washers.

I maxed out allowed pictures per post. To be continued...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Handset install continued...

Re-install the carpet panel with the mount base:

Attach the rest of the mount to the base, and install the phone cable into the cradle:

Position the cradle as desired and tighten the knobs:

Keep it tidy with a zip tie:

Admire the glory of early 90's technology:

The mount is very sturdy there. The carpet panel supports it well, and the phone can be clipped into/out of the cradle without any feeling of flexing/movement.And the pedestal mount itself when tightened up is rock solid. It stays locked into the position you set it at.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
My previous posts describe a non-official mounting location for the phone handset. The official location is INSIDE the center console armrest storage, and would have used a special bracket. It's very unlikely that you'll be able to get the OEM bracket for the cradle, but I did confirm that the PanaVise mount I used could also mount the cradle in the same location.

There appears to be enough room below the storage compartment for ends of bolts and nuts.

The phone cable would be routed through the hole that is blocked by this removable panel:

You could keep it clean by cutting a notch in that panel for the phone cable and re-install the panel to block off the large hole.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
And a quick test of the factory phone cable for the handset! I plugged the other end of the phone cable in the trunk into my phone base/transceiver. It has the "portable" cover with battery, so I was able to test without wiring up to the vehicle power.

And it works!

Next challenge is to install the transceiver in the trunk and get it connected to vehicle power. I'm still waiting on a response from Sheridan Engineering, who believes they can source the connector I need to build an adapter harness between the factory phone power supply connector, and the power supply connector for the phone itself.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,777 Posts
And a quick test of the factory phone cable for the handset! I plugged the other end of the phone cable in the trunk into my phone base/transceiver. It has the "portable" cover with battery, so I was able to test without wiring up to the vehicle power.

View attachment 287029

And it works!

View attachment 287030

Next challenge is to install the transceiver in the trunk and get it connected to vehicle power. I'm still waiting on a response from Sheridan Engineering, who believes they can source the connector I need to build an adapter harness between the factory phone power supply connector, and the power supply connector for the phone itself.
Amazing job so far. Also like what you programmed the number to be.

As for the new handset, did you have an older one? That might let you experiment with a non-mint one if you wanted to make it Bluetooth capable somehow.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I don't know why but I enjoy following this thread. It's cool to see old technology like this. I remember my grandparents had a Cadillac when I was a kid and they had a bag phone in the back. I rode with them to pick up a family member at the airport. We went early so we could go up in the observation tower and watch the plane land. Then on the way home I called and talked to someone for the first time ever in a moving car. This was back in the mid-90's. Now 6 year olds have cell phones that can stream movies and play games so the technology excitement for them probably isn't there. Curious to see what you can do with it. If the bluetooth phone doesn't work out I bet you could easily turn it into the mic for some kind of loud speaker. At the very least just sitting there will spark conversation at any car meet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Amazing job so far. Also like what you programmed the number to be.

The number on the display is because I dialed that number. I have it programmed with my own real cell phone number.

As for the new handset, did you have an older one? That might let you experiment with a non-mint one if you wanted to make it Bluetooth capable somehow.
If the bluetooth phone doesn't work out I bet you could easily turn it into the mic for some kind of loud speaker. At the very least just sitting there will spark conversation at any car meet.
Any attempt to adapt it to bluetooth will be non-invasive via a device that connects to the coax antenna connection on the transceiver. I don't want to lose original functionality of the phone. It's all or nothing: either it will be fully functional as originally designed with phone calls being routed through a modern phone via bluetooth, or it remains as a non-fully-functional novelty (but with access to all original features on the phone as if it is simply out of service range). I'll be happy either way.

I do have 2 spare transceivers that I can use for testing in case I mess up antenna circuitry and let the smoke out :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Great job! I need a picture of it at night with your original radio and phone lights lit. Believe it or not I noticed one in the local pick a part a few months ago.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Great job! I need a picture of it at night with your original radio and phone lights lit.
Thanks! I'll get a night picture after I get my climate control display fixed. I need all the 90's high tech displays lit up!

Believe it or not I noticed one in the local pick a part a few months ago.
Do you happen to remember if it had either of the components I'm still looking for?

Any chance you could see if the car is still there and check for those parts?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Brad at Sheridan Engineering is awesome! He was able to identify the connector in the trunk that supplies power for the phone and point me to a website that sells it (and more importantly the mating connector) with no minimum quantity.

Here's the connector in the trunk again for reference:

And here's a drawing of the Yazaki 7123-8345 connector:

And the corresponding mating connector (which is what I need to make an adapter harness) is the Yazaki 7122-8345:

I ordered a few from AutoClick in the UK: 7122-8345

I also ordered one of the female connectors (the one in the trunk already) just to get some spare pins: 7123-8345

Here's why I want the spare pins...

The factory connector in the trunk is a 4-position connector, but only has 3 wires connected (ground, +12V battery, and +12V ignition). The power supply wiring pigtail for the phone has 4 wires (4th wire goes to horn relay to beep the horn). I'm going to use all 4 wires in my adapter harness, and the spare female pin will allow me to insert a 4th wire into the factory connector and run it to the horn relay.This will only be worth doing if I can actually get the phone fully operating to the point that it can receive a call, though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I gotta say, as "stupid" as something like this is, I love this kind of crap. Performance mods? Nah, lemme spend months tracking down and getting that obsolete phone option. Keep it up man.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get that thing to work by Bluetooth......awesome

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,777 Posts
Can confirm my 92 came pre-wired for this option as well. ;)

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,777 Posts
Sounds like there's more to this story. Please elaborate: do you have the full phone system installed?
Nope. All the wiring is pre-installed though. That's all I was getting at. Got the 3 pin connector driver rear. I think the jumpered one is for that relay you were talking about as well.

I wish I had the whole system. I'd have rigged it to work via Bluetooth by now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
I identified the connector that plugs into the phone transceiver to supply power. It is Molex part number 39-01-3045 (0039013045):

This connector uses female pins (sold separately) that are Molex part number 39-00-0208 (0039000208).

Combining this with the Yazaki 7122-8345 connector and some wire is all you need to build your own adapter between the factory vehicle wiring and the phone to supply power, without needing any donor wiring harnesses/pigtails.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Potential good news!

I'm in contact with someone that has a partial factory phone installation in their 3000GT, and he intends to sell the parts to me. He seems to have everything except the handset-related components (handset, cradle, OEM mounting bracket for the cradle). Not a problem for me, because I already have my handset/cradle situation covered. Most importantly, he has the hands-free module and controller components I'm missing. He's very busy and has been making some progress about one day a week uninstalling the parts from his car, so I'm not sure when he'll be able to ship the parts.

Meanwhile, I made some progress on preparing my trunk for installing phone components.

Factory phone wiring has been pulled out of its hiding spot behind the strut tower. I had to remove some tape that was holding it folded up onto itself, then wrestle it out.

Testing how to route the wires:

There's a channel on the bottom of the storage tray for the wires:

Driver side interior panel reinstalled:

Trunk interior fully reassembled with wires routed:

I'll have to pull that storage tray out again when it's time to install the phone transceiver, but I'm waiting until I have a way to connect the transceiver to power. I'm still waiting for the necessary connectors to arrive.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts