Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sweet! Please do share any info you can. Pics of where all the components are installed would be great, routing of wires, etc.

Do you happen to have the original install instructions for the phone parts kit that explains exactly where/how to install the components? How about the operating instructions for the hands free controls?

And finally, I gotta ask... would you be willing to sell me the parts I am missing?
as for the documentation, I am afraid the car came with none. It was either misplaced or completely disregarded by the previous owner(s). Shame really.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I was actually wanting to copy your/the dealers install on my gt as well!
I seem to be creating demand and competition for the very parts I am seeking simply by asking for them and raising awareness that this factory cell phone option was a thing. Quite a catch-22. :unsure:

...saying he doesn't ask 800 for the parts and doesn't ask me for my back glass due to the glass mount antenna possibly leaving a hole behind.
Don't let him rip you off :). For reference, I paid (including shipping):
  • $25 for the complete portable Model 92 phone with leather bag, instruction manual, and cigarette lighter adapter.
  • $30 for the complete Model 1500 phone with vehicle wiring, cradle, transceiver mounting plate, instructions, hands-free microphone, and cigarette lighter adapter.
  • $45 for another nearly complete but very junky Model 92 with transceiver mounting plate and handset cradle. Currently requesting a partial refund because condition of some parts was mis-represented and one part was missing (but listed in the auction)... but at least I got a cradle.
As for the antenna on the back glass, there shouldn't be a hole. I would expect it to be a "through glass" style antenna where the base with the wire sticks to the inside of the glass and the antenna mast part sticks directly on the other side of the glass. The signal passes right through the glass between the 2 parts. It should just be a matter of un-sticking the parts (some heat from a hair dryer and some fishing line or thin plastic scraper?), then clean the adhesive off the glass.

I am willing to help with your install as much as possible too! So if I can get at least some pictures before it gets too cold tonight, we can figure out just how much you're missing besides the handsfree module (I'm already trying to scope one out for you) and anything I might not need, we can possibly work out!
Thanks!

Let's compare inventories and see if we have anything to trade.

Some options to consider:
  • I happen to have a Model 1500 handset and cradle in good condition that is 100% compatible with the Model 92 transceiver, wiring, etc., and same bolt pattern for mounting the cradle. A workable option if you don't need to have the exact correct handset.
  • If you are aiming for authenticity with the Model 92 handset, then it's not hard to find the phone itself. Search ebay for "mitsubishi phone", "diamondtel phone", and "diamond tel phone". Between those 3 searches, you'll find a couple Model 92s for sale right now. The hard part will be finding the cradle. I bought the only one I've seen since I started looking 2-3 months ago.
  • If the pre-wired connectors in the car are what I hope/expect, then I believe the phone transceiver and handset+cradle can be installed and be fully functional using factory wiring without the hands-free module and controller. This is what I plan to do If I can't get those parts, then keep looking and add those parts if I eventually find them. If the hands-free controls on the steering column are of minor/lesser importance to you as long as you can get the phone itself properly wired with power, then maybe some ? can convince you to part ways with the hands free module and controller?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here are some images I just took, forgive the visibility on some as it is pretty dark (might do more tomorrow). I just quickly took pictures of the stuff you can see pretty easily. The box that mounts (to my knowledge somewhere in the trunk) that controls the phone (think its called transceiver box?) cannot be seen by just lifting the spare tire cover. I'll have to find it later.

You'll notice also that there are wires coming around the mounting bracket, these are from an aftermarket stereo that was installed by my brother. (I don't completely agree with aftermarket audio for these cars). The original phone wires came through this drilled hole, I assume they are just laying on the floor inside the center console now. You may also notice there is no bracket for the phone in the trunk trays.......................................................................Gosh I hope this formatting is readable...................................................................................................

·
Registered
59 Posts
upon talking to my brother, he seems to recall seeing the controller box mounted next to the power antenna (probably visible by unscrewing the viewing hole on the drivers side in the trunk). I will inspect this in the future.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That antenna definitely appears to be just adhesive on both sides; no hole in the glass.

Someone else has told me that their transceiver was mounted hidden behind the plastic panels somewhere. You'll be looking for 2 different modules hidden somewhere on the driver side of the trunk area. Maybe even further forward near the rear strut tower.

The transceiver will be a dark grey box like on the right of this photo:

That's the transceiver with the "portable cover" removed. If the transceiver is buried behind plastic panels, then it's unlikely to have the "portable cover" attached to it, because there's no reasonable way to easily pop it out, and it would just take up extra space. With the trunk storage tray installation I showed in earlier posts, it's easily accessible to grab it out of the trunk, connect the handset, and carry with you.

The other part is the smaller light gray box that is the "hands free controller" that integrates the hands free module and stock radio together with the transceiver and handset:

I don't understand why the hands free controller is installed in the storage tray in this person's trunk. It seems like that part should be hidden behind plastic panels even if the phone transceiver itself is mounted in the storage tray.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You'll notice also that there are wires coming around the mounting bracket, these are from an aftermarket stereo that was installed by my brother. (I don't completely agree with aftermarket audio for these cars). The original phone wires came through this drilled hole, I assume they are just laying on the floor inside the center console now. View attachment 286126
That is not at all what I expected to see for the phone cradle mounting bracket. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the cradle would mount to that. I feel like something important is missing there.

Also, agreed on the radio. I'm very happy that my car still had the stock radio. The 93 stock radio is my favorite of all the stock radios:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ahh the hands free controller is what he may have seen in his car, as for the transceiver, we will have to look for that sometime, I imagine that will most definitely require some disassembly of the plastics around the trunk area to expose the rear strut towers. I will update you when I can get in and do some exploring!

Also, is it just the one connector that goes from the transceiver to the phone located in the console?

PPS, HOLY CRAP, I've been looking for the digital eq. with aux radio option! They are upwards of 500-700 dollars on Ebay. My car originally came with it but the previous owners wrecked absolute havoc by replacing it with an aftermarket one. Was that already in your car when you purchased it?? You must have the 6-disc changer in the back too then?

edit nevermind, you covered that, I just need to read more carefully. You are super lucky!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a better picture of the mounting bracket, it seems to just have a square hole in it. By my guess, it looks like something slid over the 'wings' of the bracket and that square hole is used as a place for a clip to prevent the thing from slipping out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Also, is it just the one connector that goes from the transceiver to the phone located in the console?
Not quite.

One connector under the center console for the handset. It's basically and ethernet cable/connector.

Back in the trunk area is the other end of the phone cable (ethernet cable), which would plug into the hands free controller, along with 2 other connectors.

Two cables come out of the hands free controller (one phone/ethernet cable, one mono audio microphone cable) and plug into the transceiver.

A 4-pin power connector/cable in the same trunk area of the car's wiring also plugs into the transceiver.

Was that already in your car when you purchased it?? You must have the 6-disc changer in the back too then?
Yes. The car is almost completely stock. No molested intake hoses/pipes, no aftermarket blow off valves or boost controllers, no vacuum hose or cruise control deletes. Only mods from previous owner(s) are aftermarket wheels, re-upholstered leather seats (OEM-like style), and window tint. Trunk mounted CD changer option included. Yes, it works, and yes I use it :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not quite.

One connector under the center console for the handset. It's basically and ethernet cable/connector.

Back in the trunk area is the other end of the phone cable (ethernet cable), which would plug into the hands free controller, along with 2 other connectors.

Two cables come out of the hands free controller (one phone/ethernet cable, one mono audio microphone cable) and plug into the transceiver.

A 4-pin power connector/cable in the same trunk area of the car's wiring also plugs into the transceiver.

Yes. The car is almost completely stock. No molested intake hoses/pipes, no aftermarket blow off valves or boost controllers, no vacuum hose or cruise control deletes. Only mods from previous owner(s) are aftermarket wheels, re-upholstered leather seats (OEM-like style), and window tint. Trunk mounted CD changer option included. Yes, it works, and yes I use it :)

View attachment 286136
I am unbelievably jealous! It's on my list of things to get for this car once again. I think I've found some on Ebay that would work (although I can never find the carpet that goes on top if it?) In any case, its nice to know that once I finally get it, I have someone I can reference to install it completely stock :) . Anywho, I will try to scrounge up what the bracket in the center console attached to back in the day, but I believe you of all people know how much documentation is out there for this feature, HARDLY ANY.

I can't wait to have enough money to start throwing parts like the stock radio and 6-disc changer at my car to restore the poor thing (Has had 8 owners before me). These are my dream cars after all, and although I'm 21 and in college, I will never again own a car that is as important to get as close to perfect as this one. I'd much prefer the first gen Mits. 3000gt VR-4 to any modern day supercars.. Call me old-fashioned ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I will try to scrounge up what the bracket in the center console attached to back in the day, but I believe you of all people know how much documentation is out there for this feature, HARDLY ANY.
I found someone on a facebook group that also has the factory cell phone parts (but also doesn't want to sell them), and even has all original install/operation instructions. He was going to share details of the install instructions with me, but quit responding to me over a week ago. Hopefully he'll share photos of install instructions eventually, which should shed some light on some details like the bracket in the center console.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know how you wanna go about that, but I would be very interested in that group photo copying the relevant documents for a digital archive! To have at least something to reference that is second to the actual booklets is still very valuable to me as the previous owners of my car managed to lose every bit of original documentation such as owners manual and related pamphlets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I don't know how you wanna go about that, but I would be very interested in that group photo copying the relevant documents for a digital archive!
Any useful info/photos I gather will be posted in this thread. At some point when I have confidence in understanding everything involved, I'll start a new thread with a more organized presentation of the phone system, pictures, install options/instructions, links to PDF scans of documents, etc.

If you didn't see it already, I have a complete scan of the instruction manual for the phone in this post: Looking for OEM Cell Phone info/parts (DiamondTel Model 92)

Also, check your private messages.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't see that manual! Thanks!

As for the bracket, no luck finding even a picture that I can reference that makes sense to look at. I don't know what it is about these things that makes it seem like they almost never happened. I guess where you are at you have the booklet that gives you detailed instructions about what the dealer would have followed to install this feature, and with the white 92 having this feature mostly preserved in his car, I'd say that when I can finally get into it and find out what goes where, the only problem will be you trying to figure out how the cradle was mounted, correct (saying that the transceiver and hands free boxes are located where we expect them to be and follows the wiring diagrams you have obtained more or less to a 'T'.)? After you can get your hands on a hands free module and a glass-mount antenna (if you decided you wanted to go that route) the next step would be making it work...

TLDR: I'll try to rip into our 3000 so I can take detailed pictures of what goes where ASAP.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
One more minor piece acquired: An AC/DC power supply for the phone. This won't be useful for installing the phone in the car, but will be useful as a steady power supply when I start developing/testing my bluetooth adapter. This is the only AC/DC power supply for this phone I could find anywhere for sale.

Part: AD-92
Model: FZ-1035A

Also compatible with the Mitsubishi Model 1500 phone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks to PrIsMaTiSm, I now have the first piece of hard evidence that there really is factory phone wiring in the 3000GT:

That happens to be the same exact connector that is used for the phone handset jack inside the handset cradle:

So the phone cable under the center console would need to be re-routed to wherever you mount the handset cradle, pop open the cradle, and install the end of the cable directly in the cradle. No additional wiring needed at this end to connect the phone/cradle to the factory wiring.

BTW - I realized that the factory service manual I found diagrams in is for 92-96 3000GTs; not the 91. The factory phone wiring only exists in 92-93 model years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
After having many of these cars apart - sometimes down to the bare floorboard - I can say with absolute certainty there is no pre-wiring for the cell phone.
I finally got my car out of winter storage today, and look what I found...

Factory wiring for the cell phone handset, tucked under the center console storage mounting bracket, wrapped in foam.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Check out what I acquired... a new-in-box mobile mounting kit for the Model 92 phone. This is the complete generic kit for installing the phone in a car, so it doesn't have the hands free controller/module I'm still looking for. But I will make use of the handset cradle, transceiver mounting plate, and hardware, all in perfect condition.

I have an aftermarket bracket arriving in a few days that I'll use to mount the handset cradle to the passenger side of the center console. I also have my car out of winter storage, I've been furloughed for 2 weeks (no work, no pay), and my entire state is under a "stay home" order due to Covid-19. I'll have plenty of time to work out my options for installing the phone in the car :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The original battery packs for the phone are very old NiCd battery packs that are pretty much completely destroyed from age and self-discharge, combined with whatever amount of original use they had. My battery pack would hold a charge for a short while, but only if charged at higher rates than the built-in charging circuit of the phone. It would then completely self-discharge in about a day without even being installed in the phone.

Rebuild time!

Splitting the case open was very tedious and slightly destructive. The 2 halves are glued together all around. All original connections to the cells were spot-welded, so I had to carefully pry apart the connections that needed to be reused (connections to terminals on the pack, connections for the temperature fuses). Here's the case split apart with one "bank" of cells removed.

New battery cells and nickel strips for connecting cells together:

I don't have equipment/skills for spot-welding new connections, so I used solder. It was a bit sloppy because this was my first time ever soldering a "blind" connection where the solder is sandwiched between two parts. I definitely had too much solder on some joints that squished out the sides.

One "bank" of new cells assembled, complete with the temperature fuse transferred over from the original battery. If the battery gets to hot, this fuse breaks the circuit until it cools down again.

New cells all installed:

Side note about the design of this battery pack: It's actually 2 separate 6V battery packs in one case, with 2 separate pairs of contacts on the outside of the case. I believe this is due to the phone being design to run on 12V DC (car electrical systems) combined with the fact that a battery charging circuit must be able to produce more voltage than the battery that it is charging. When connected to vehicle electrical system, the charging curcuit has 12V to work with, and can charge the 2 6V batteries in parallel. When the phone has no external 12V power supply, the phone can draw power from the 2 6V batteries in series for a total of 12V.

SUCCESS!

The battery is fully charged after charging overnight via the phone's own charging circuit and AC/DC adapter.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts