Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
ok, cool!

I remember when car phones first came out and people were selling fake stick-on antennas lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Small update on the phone battery: it doesn't last very long. It self discharges in about 1 day with the phone powered off. I need to look into getting new NiCd battery cells and figure out how to open the battery case without damage so I can replace the cells.

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
interesting, i didn't know the phone had it's own battery, i just assumed it hooked up to accessory power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It hooks up to 12v vehicle power too (or a cigarette lighter adapter, or a 12v A/C adapter). The "portable cover" has a battery and charging circuitry, so the phone will run off of 12v power supply while also recharging the battery, then run off of the battery when the 12v power supply is disconnected.

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
ok, I had a Audiovox "car phone" installed in my 1987 Dodge Daytona back in 1988. I thought it shut off immediately when the car was off, but that was long ago and my memory is not very good lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
More parts acquired!

The Mitsubishi Model 1500 turns out to be very similar to DiamondTel Model 92, and many parts are interchangeable. I got a complete Model 1500 with vehicle install kit:

I scanned the entire Model 1500 Owners Manual to PDF.

Download here (15.1 MB): https://www.uselesspickles.com/files/3000gt/Mitsubishi Model 1500 Owners Manual.pdf

I'll be able to make use of:
  • Vehicle power wiring.
  • Hands-free microphone.
  • Transceiver mounting plate.
  • Cigarette lighter adapter (better condition than the one that came with my Model 92).
  • Spare battery (need to experiment with non-destructively splitting the case to replace dead NiCd cells).
I thought I would be able to use the wires for the handset cradle in case I found a handset cradle for the Model 92 without wires, but the wires do not disconnect from the cradle for the Model 1500. I'm hoping the same is true for the Model 92 cradle so that I'm guaranteed to get the wires I need if/when I find the cradle. Unfortunately, the cradle for the Model 1500 does not work with the Model 92 handset.

An extra bonus: this phone came with the optional "Data Interface Kit". It's an extra circuit board with an RJ-11 port used for connecting a fax machine to the phone. I was able to transplant it into my phone. If I ever succeed with my custom bluetooth adapter, I'll be able to connect a fax machine to send/receive faxes from my car (because who doesn't need to do that?).

Successfully installed and enabled the RJ-11 port!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I now have almost everything I need to complete at least a generic vehicle installation. I still need:
  • Cradle (with wiring) for the Model 92 handset.
  • A mounting bracket to mount the handset cradle next to the center console.
Before I get a mounting bracket and proceed with any installation work, I'm still trying to find information about how this was installed as a "factory authorized accessory".
  • Was there a "factory authorized" install kit with specific recommended install instructions? Specific locations to mount the transceiver and route the wiring?
  • Was there a specific handset cradle mounting bracket?
  • How was the wiring connected to the vehicle? I still haven't found any explanation of the sales brochure's claim that "complete pre-wiring is already provided". One person in a Facebook group claimed to have seen phone-related wiring in a 3000GT wiring diagram, but he hasn't responded to my requests to point me in the right direction for such diagrams.
  • What are the "one-touch steering-column mounted auto dialing" controls mentioned in the accessories brochure for the 3000GT?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I found evidence of "pre-wiring" for the phone in the car!!!

This is from "1992-1996 Service Manual - 3000GT Vol. 2":

Does anyone know what this connects to? I'll continue digging around in the service manual for any more references to this connector.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I found someone that has the parts I'm looking for. Waiting to find out if he's willing to sell. Either way, I at least got some more pictures and information.

Here's the hands free module:

Part number MB876733. Google finds nothing for that part number :(

Here's how his phone and "hands free controller" are installed in the trunk:

I'm a bit unsure about the wiring. That sure looks like a factory wiring harness, but how is it reaching all the way to that area? Either that wiring is normally tucked up out of the way somewhere, but with enough length that it can be re-routed to this location, or the phone install kit comes with an extension wire harness.

The wires come through this hole in the storage bin:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have acquired a cradle!

I had to over-pay for a pile of mostly garbage phone parts to get it, and the condition of the cradle isn't as nice as my phone, but at least I have a cradle now.

I also now have a spare transceiver and transceiver mounting plate in good working condition. By the time I'm done collecting parts, I might be clsoe to having a complete spare set of everything.

Still looking for the hands free module and controller, but I think I'll be able to install what I have in the car without those parts, and with minimal custom wiring.

Based on the photo in the sales brochure of the handset in the center console, and the description in the Diamante TSB of the handset being located in the center console, I'm beginning to believe that there was no particular official bracket for mounting the handset/cradle beside the console near the passenger foot-well area. Any installations in that location must have used whatever off-the-shelf brackets were available at the time.

Still having a hard time deciding between following the "official" inside-the-console installation, or a non-standard beside-the-console location. In the console is more "correct" for originality, but hides the phone so that no one will know it's there unless I open the console and point it out.

This (or similar) is probably what I'd use if I go with the non-standard mounting option:

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
Cool! Awesome project! Thanks for posting updates! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey! I made an account here just now because I saw this interesting conversation and I just recently bought my own Caracas Red 93 VR-4 with sunroof and decided to add a tidbit if you can find it helpful. My family has owned two and does still own one white 92 VR-4 with this option installed from the dealer! Just missing the cradle and phone as far as I am aware... If you want, I can take detailed pictures of the car to show you just how the dealer installed the phone on our 92 3000gt all that time ago ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
To add more, I can confirm that the mounting bracket for the cradle is housed INSIDE the center console storage area. That and the stock glass mounted antenna, as well as the handsfree module located on the steering column are all still there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you want, I can take detailed pictures of the car to show you just how the dealer installed the phone on our 92 3000gt all that time ago ;)
Sweet! Please do share any info you can. Pics of where all the components are installed would be great, routing of wires, etc.

Do you happen to have the original install instructions for the phone parts kit that explains exactly where/how to install the components? How about the operating instructions for the hands free controls?

And finally, I gotta ask... would you be willing to sell me the parts I am missing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sweet! Please do share any info you can. Pics of where all the components are installed would be great, routing of wires, etc.

Do you happen to have the original install instructions for the phone parts kit that explains exactly where/how to install the components? How about the operating instructions for the hands free controls?

And finally, I gotta ask... would you be willing to sell me the parts I am missing?
I was actually wanting to copy your/the dealers install on my gt as well! That said I've already asked my brother (current owner of the 92) if he would like to fork over all related carphone parts and wiring to me so I can get a good head start on my install :) , I will be able to send pictures as I remove them saying he doesn't ask 800 for the parts and doesn't ask me for my back glass due to the glass mount antenna possibly leaving a hole behind. I am willing to help with your install as much as possible too! So if I can get at least some pictures before it gets too cold tonight, we can figure out just how much you're missing besides the handsfree module (I'm already trying to scope one out for you) and anything I might not need, we can possibly work out!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts