Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I went out today armed with my bumper and lights and new hood with the understanding that is all it takes to go from first to second gen... well not exactly, on a stealth anyway:

you see what happens is the crash bar must be mounted a different way or be a different size or something on second gens, because what happens is the bumpers air ducts and what not hit it on a second gen, but a first it sits perfect... It is impossible to get the bumper on (like physically bolt up) without cutting out parts of the bumper or cutting and moving the crash bar. niether of which I was going to do. So here are the pics of what the problem is. Any ideas I will gladly take them AIM Screen name tiballz

Anybody need a 2nd gen bumper, headlights, and turn signals?

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
actually I was wondering if someone can look on there 2nd gen R/T if the bumper itself goes under the light bucket to bolt on or on top of it like mine. if it bolts under i might give me a little more room, but would require me to do a lot of rigging to get it to bolt up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1st to 2nd Gen

I have a 95 RT/TT and I can tell you that the bumper on my car is up higher and is flushed with the upper two openings. You bumper is mostly 3" lowered than mine.

Email me if you need pics

sAm,

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean the bumper is higher, do you mean that the new bumper I show on the car sits lower than yours? if it had to go higher the bar will be over the air ducts completely. The bumper isnt all the way on in the picture, it could never reach the mounting holes misses them by about 1.5 inches.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Simple fix: Leave the bar off.

2nd fix: get a bar from a 2nd gen. Hint: the fog lighs are part of the assembly.

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't understand how the bar would mount... is it any different? you would think it would mount up higher on the frame. i could always leave it off... especially if i want to see how far in the motor will come if another person cuts me off. Thanks for your help drew, i appreciate everybodies replies.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
The same reason the rear bumper on R/T's mounts 3" higher than on a base/ES.. it's just different..

ditching the reinforcement would be the easy thing..
try the reinforcement off a 2nd gen.. maybe its different.

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked in caps, the reinforcement is the same all years, it is just where it is mounted, decisions, decisions. I am going to call Matt at dynamic. They have the 91 r/t with a 99 front bumper and find out how they mounted the reinforcement bar, knowing him though he probably just scrapped it.

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
How big of a hazard is it to just leave it off? What would the outcome of a front-end collision be? And, how much would you be willing to sell the stuff for if you did? I'm first on the list if you decide to sell it! Thanks-

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i am going to try something before I call it quits and sell off my investment. If you are in an accident front end... well there are supports and bracing low by radaiator, but that is just to help spread the impact to the frame. front end at say 20 mph I think you would look at a new radiator in the least, depends what you hit, now faster than that... i'd be worried... I never wanted a mid engine stealth, did you?

now what I am going to try is to take the crash bar off. It has 3 channels top and bottom are the ones that bolt into the shock parts. i am going to drill a hole in the middle one and mount that at the top holes spot and see if I can just rig it to get the bottom bolt in, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't. what do you think? if i move it up one hole does anymody think that would be high enough to get it on? safety wise for this, I just like to think of it as a reason to be a little more cautious.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Are you doing teh conversion just for a change or was there a problem with your first gen front fascia? If there is no problem with your first gen front end, and you go with a conversion, I might be interested in buying your old first gen front from you...

EricB

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no there was a problem, I was in an accident. i got cut off on a highway ended up nosediving under a miata, miata's exhaust pipe pierce old fascia and rolled back my hood.

·
2,994 Posts
If you decide not to do it, let me know about what year the headlights are and how much you want. Thanks
Dan
PS hope everything works out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
EASY FIX cut your losses give me all your second generation stuff, and im sure it will bother you less than seeing that ugly bumper :D . Seriously I would trim the bumper before I took it completely out. or you could just paint it since so much is sticking out.

·
Banned
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if I could paint it i would, but that bar keeps the bumper from going on at all... not even close... needs like another 2 inches. So what does everybody think? I am going to go through with it either way what should i do:

1.) Remove the bar completely and drive safe
2.) cut it in half
3.) try to move it up by a bolt and see if it fits then (i think this will be my choice than go from here)
4.) say f' completely and just drive around with a busted up bumper and a f'd up hood and just keep my new bumper, hood, and headlights as decorations for my dorm room.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts