Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok need some help here not good at ready electrical diagrams. In the pic there is a white plug that screws to the key cylinder area right under the key. Can anyone tell me it does? I noticed on our car the white plastic is broke and the wires attached to a little circuit board are just hanging.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
One thing that may help when looking for especially electrical information is to include year and trim of your car, because there are a lot of differences by year and how car is equipped. Best place is in profile so that information will always be available by a simple glimpse to the left.

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opps thought i put it. Its a 96 3000gt base model automatic

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
Can anyone tell me it does?
Opps thought i put it. Its a 96 3000gt base model automatic
OK… that helps…. I haven’t dismantled a steering column on one of these and your picture is not close enough to see detail. Going just from your description sounds like that might just be for ignition key cylinder illumination light, allowing it to be found easily when dark.

Looking at prints for ’96 model, if it is a 2 wire connector with 1 wire being Red wire with black stripe (R-B) and other wire being Red wire with green stripe (R-G), then that is exactly what it is.

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look or if i can get my phone in the right postion ill take a pic of it. Im not good at looking at wire prints.

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i went and took a pic of the actual spot on our car there are 4 wires 2 black 1 red/black 1 yellow/green

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So any clue what it does? Is it for the anti theft system? Asking because we are trying to see if it will turn over and start with out the ignition in it since i have to order it. But there are 2 different ones listed one for non anti theft the other is for anti theft. Not wanting to have to tow it to a dealer to have new switch programmed since we dont even know of ot turns over or starts. Only paid 500 for it

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
Ok i went and took a pic of the actual spot on our car there are 4 wires 2 black 1 red/black 1 yellow/green
I can barely see what looks like wires at top of broken plastic, but tell where they go or if they might have been attached to broken plastic part. I mention this because I can’t find that combination of wire colors to any component in any print including thief system. Can you check wire colors at first connector those wires would connect to near dash, reason being often manufactures buy components from outside vendors to be used during assembly and vendors often don’t use same color wires as the manufacture shows in prints. So during assembly wire colors don’t match print until after first connection to chassis harness.

I’d expect to see 4 wires which is all shown in prints but they would be (2) R-B (1) R-G & (1) B-L (L=blue). That would be (2) for key cylinder illumination light and (2) for key reminder chime.

But there are 2 different ones listed one for non anti theft the other is for anti theft. Not wanting to have to tow it to a dealer to have new switch programmed
I also can’t find anything showing in prints about an immobilizer in switch area which confuses me about two different ones or why a dealer would need to program anything.

Is you alarm system after market or factory? Seems strange that base model would include a factory alarm system.

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if it is factory or after market. Havent found a after market box any where as of yet. Im just guessing it must have a anti theft system since if it didnt i should be abke to turn the inside part of the switch to get it to turn over yet it doesnt all lights on dash come on but a siren is constantly going off

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
Bingo…. Factory alarm doesn’t have a siren it has a third horn. So I’m guessing that aftermarket alarm has you blocked out from starting and factory prints are not going to help.

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks....so where should i start looking for the after market alarm....i didnt see anything mounted thag looked like a alarm box under the dash or kick plate on drivers side. Not sure if i would fit under where the stereo is. Ive had a alarm on my old b2200 mazda truck that i added do kinds know what the box should look like. Any ideas of where one could be mounted would help never had a 3000gt so never had interior about to know where one might be mounted. I did find a fuse that when i pulled it made the siren shut off but still car wont turn over...going to check all fuses tomorrow to make sure it not just a fuse blown for starter that i may have over looked.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
Might look in area forward of ECU, there’s little room in there between it and the TCU on top of transmission hump.
1603070952490.png

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just went and looked there...nothing there. I put the fuse i pulled out to stop the noise back in and its not a siren sound....it sounds like the horns going off from the front of car. I seen where someone had posted about grounding a wire by the trunk lock and since that panel is easy to take out i did. But there isnt any wire except for the one to make light come on back there...so im at a loss.

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just thought of something its late here but during the day tomorrow ill shove fuse back in and take a small vid to post of the sound its making. Ive only worked on way older cars without all the computer crap. But in those old cars if you pulled the ignition out because it was busted or lost a key you just used a screw driver at the back and turned the area at back of switch to start car. Was hoping to do that with this car to see if it runs before i go spending tons of money on parts that may not even help.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
..it sounds like the horns going off from the front of car.
If horn could be factory alarm, if so should be a theft alarm horn relay just above fuses on left side that can be pulled to stop horn (see attached), but that might not change if starter will work.
1603114756262.png click on to enlarge

·
Registered
96 3000gt automatic base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok just got to looking and under the hood is a fuse box. I see where it says starter listed on the lid but when i opened that up and look that spot is empty i assume there is suppose to be a relay in that spot.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
Ok just got to looking and under the hood is a fuse box. I see where it says starter listed on the lid but when i opened that up and look that spot is empty i assume there is suppose to be a relay in that spot.
The automatic trans cars don’t use a starter relay like manual trans cars do, they also don’t use the extra theft-alarm starter relay to disable regular starter relay like the manuals. However IDK about an automatic with a factory alarm installed because when I look at factory electrical prints of theft-alarm system on pg. 54-234 dealing with “STARTER RELAY ACTIVATION CIRCUIT” I see M/T & A/T both shown passing thru the normal starter relay. This is more confusing than helpful :confused:.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts