Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda want to upgrade to 550 injectors, but I'm really temped to just go with the 660's or even 750's. Now I'm very unclear about anything with the fuel controllers. Apex-i AFC or HKS Super AFR, these prbly would work, b/c the can't go as high. What would be my options and the ups and downs of each option.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
First off, you need to decide eventually where you want to end up with your car. That will determine which injector sizes you should buy. If only upgrading to 13G turbos or staying stock, then 550s are fine. Anything more and you might want to think about going higher. Depending on what injector size will determine what a/f controllers are best for you.

R

·
0 Posts
most shops say 550cc are good for 15g's but nothing bigger.

That said, you could go with Apex-i SAFC or HKS Super AFR to control them. But if you go to 660-720cc then you will need ARC2 ($1100)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what boost could i run with the 550's and 15g's, and alky injection? How much do the Apex-i SAFC or HKS Super AFR cost? Thanx for your help.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
The S-AFC is much very cheap compared to some other fuel controllers (about $300-350) . From what i've learned of it, you get your money's worth! Personally, i think the ARC-2 is way over priced ($1200). If it were around $800, then i might start considering it.

There are also other options available. Theres the VPC, which is specially fit for 550cc. Many guys will add the S-AFC to that to fine tune it. I think its a great idea. There's also many piggy back computers available. Most of those should be done with access to a dyno, though.

I dont have any info on the AFR. Sorry.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
F27Corsair- very good info, thats what i was looking for. So I could get the S-AFC and 550's, and then later down the road, get a VPC as well? Is it the SAFC that can only support up to 540 injectors?

I'm also kinda interested in that afcMASC that was discussed not too long ago. If I went with 550s, what would be the most inexpensive way for fuel control. I'm thinkin SAFC for now, and then later maybe add the afcMASC or even a VPC if I have the cash. Or could I just get the afcMASC for now, without the SAFC? or do I have to get the SAFC anyway you look at it? Like I said before, I have very little knowledge about fuel controllers, and exactly what to use under certain applications.

Also, another concern is gas mileage. I of course know that under heavy acceleration it will suffer quite a bit more than it already does, but in everyday driving, if I were accelerating just like I do normally, would my mpg suffer? I kinda figured that at a set amount of airflow, your using the same amount of fuel no matter what size of injectors your using.

Anyway, thank you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about this.

15g's, 550 injectors, Supra fuel pump, an SAFC, and Alky injection.

These would work together, correct? I figure this would cost between 2600 and 3000. What kinda of boost could i run with the injectors, and what boost could I hold until redline. I assume around 18 psi off of the fuel system. Anyway, tell me what ya think.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I have that setup and push 16.4psi 24/7 on pump gas. 473-493HP depending on weather conditions...

You can push 20psi to redline staying rich the whole way with 15G's and 550's. You just need higher octane fuel.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
Dragon-
From what i've gathered, the VPC is not something that "tricks" the ECU, it is rather a replacement for the stock MAS that sends different signals specific to 550cc. People buy an S-AFC for the use with this for the same reasons some guys buy them for stock 360cc; it fine tunes them. You could buy an S-AFC first, but i think it might be better to buy a VPC or whatever else first. BTW, i havent heard of the afcMASC...where was it discussed?

R

·
0 Posts
HKS Super AFR

The HKS Super ARF whoops the Apex-i's a$$ see it here

It is the ONLY fuel computer (except stand alone computers of course) on the market that actually has an ON BOARD COMPUTER. Instead of just pasing along the MAS signal it actualy has the brains to monitor and adjust it in real time. IT is more adjustable, more acurate, and can reacte to real time fluctuations where as the apex and others are set by the user at rpm points and is totaly static.

Air/Fuel Ratio Correction Function · Controls air/fuel ratios through airflow meter or pressure sensor
· Range - 50% rich to 50% lean from factory baseline setting
· Output can be adjusted in 1% increments
· Eleven points of adjustment between 650 to 8000 rpm, these points can be arbitrarily moved in 50 rpm increments throughout this range

Response Correction Function · Engine response can be adjusted through airflow meter/pressure sensor
· Range - 1 m/sec. to 100 m/sec
· Six points of adjustment between 650 to 5000 rpm, these point can be arbitrarily moved in 50 rpm increments
· First in the industry to offer this function in a simple airflow correction device

Idle Correction Function · Idle mixture can be adjusted 50% rich to 50% lean in 1% increments within the idle range (650 to 1500 rpm) from factory baseline setting
· This adjustment is made independent of the other eleven points of mixture adjustments in the air/fuel correction function Electronic

Idle Stabilizer Function (EIDS) · This automatic function prevents engine stalling or stumbling in some airflow meter vehicles which use blow-off valves discharged to the atmosphere when throttle is released

Ease of Adjustability and set-up · This device is very simple to set-up and adjust
· The head unit is adjusted through three control knobs
· HKS recommends tuning for this device be done on a chassis dynamometer with use of an accurate air/fuel ratio measuring device

An air/fuel Ratio Correction function of Super AFR controls air/fuel ratios through a vehicle's airflow meters or pressure sensors, allowing adjustment ranging from 50% rich to 50% lean from factory baseline settings. Adjustments can be made in 1% increments, at up to eleven points between 650 and 8000 RPM, and can be moved arbitrarily in 50 RPM increments.

Idle mixture can also be adjusted with the Idle Correction function from 50% rich to 50% lean in 1% increments within the engine idle range (650-1500 RPM) from the factory baseline setting. Additionally, an Electronic Idle Stabilizer function (EIDS) buffers dramatic airflow meter signal drops to prevent super-rich air/fuel conditions. This function prevents engine stalling or stumbling in some airflow meter-equipped vehicles that use blow-off valves to discharge air when the throttle is released.

·
Registered
79 Posts
afc settings

I am in the tale end of my fuel upgrade. I have 15h turbos, walbro 255lph pump, RC 550 inj and the AFC. Currently I still have the stock injectors in and the AFC setting set @ zero. I have asked several people with this fuel combo about there settings on the AFC with the 550 injectors. One person told me -20 % across the board and another used -30% across the board. Does any one else have this combo? If so what are your settings? When I get the nerve to install my injectors I will post my AFC settings and any comments after I data log and run some G-TECH comparisons.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trevor- this is the setup that you use? What else do you have? If and when I go with that setup, I might possibly need help fine tuning it. It probably won't be for a while, I'm actually thinkin about new internals. Do you have upgraded IC's or anything like that? I had no clue I could push that much power out of that setup, but its mostly fine tuning, right? And the SAFC will handle the 550 injectors? What kinda of MPG do you get during daily driving? And also, am I about right on the cost side? Thanx man

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Yeah, I've got that setup. 15G's, 550's, ARC2-GP, HKS Pump, alchy injection. Not really a whole lot else. I'm still runnning the stock IC's. There's really not a whole lot of tuning to it. All I did is try to get my O2's to match what it was stock at full throttle (0.94V-0.96V) and then tuned the ARC2 so that my fuel trims were as close to neutral as possible while driving normal around town. Then I cranked the boost up very slowly (like 0.7psi per 3 days!) until the computer got pissed enough to go into limp home mode and retard timing during normal driving. Once I felt the car start dragging ass around town I backed off the boost by 0.7psi. If I had a 91-93 with a datalogger I would have just used the knock measurements. I'm no tuning genius or anything. 550's are out of the range for a S-AFC. They might work but it won't be optimal. I get about 16-17mpg around town. Cost? Ummm..don't know what your asking about the cost side. I can tell you it's not cheap! :D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Trevor

Have you noticed that GT-Pro finally released the 100mm MAF upgrade for the ARC2 to replace the 83mm? I talked to GTPro today and they said that the 100mm flows 33% more air and makes quite a difference on modified 3S's. Another easy 5 minute upgrade.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Yeah, Brian told me about that. I made a deal with him to test it at the Nationals back in July. If I got any MPH with it I would have bought it. Too bad I had that accident and never made it to the nationals. I'm still thinking about getting it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts