Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Getrag Rebuilder
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some line noise in my current stereo install and I *think* it may be from the RCA cables... I'm not really an audio expert so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

When I installed my new headunit and amp I re-used the RCA cables that were running through the car already. I'm not sure, but it looks as if the prior owner bought the RCA cable, cut it to the desired length, then added the RCA connectors on either end.

If I have the car off and the stereo on and pulled out of the dash I can play around with the RCA cables and get the noise to go away. I can turn the car on and the sound will still be gone. The RCA cables seem to be really sensitive and sometimes when playing with them the sound in either the front or rear channel will stop.

Do you think the RCA cables are bad and replacing them will help eliminate the line noise for good? If not what could some other sources of the line noise be?

·
This is my BOOM stick!!!
591 Posts
It sounds like the jacks on the ends of the cable are loose or there is a short somewhere else in the cable. You could try to tighten or recrimp them. If that doesn't work your best bet would be to replace the whole cable. If that doesn't work take your car to Circuit City or somewhere and have them look at it.

Have fun!

·
Rock the *#&% Out!
568 Posts
yeah, the kind of cables that you yourself put the ends on kinda suck. You would be better off getting a new set, like Monster Cable, or Stinger. Hell, you can even pick some up at wal mart or radio shack if ya want

·
94' Base Stealth
71 Posts
I have monster cable rca to my amp. They work great. A Little pricey and I'm fairly sure they dont make that much difference. But the thing i do like about them is if u need to run 4 lines for the rca. ie 2 rights and 2 lefts the monster cable is all incased in one main shielding making less wire to handle. Saves on space. Also make sure you run the rca wires away from any other wires. This is how i did it. RCA in center, Power and remote wires on left. and speaker wires on right. Least amount of interferance. And the most important thing is probably ground. make sure u hvae a big wire from your amp to ur chassis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts