Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i plan on getting a rps street spec clutch. i was also thinking about getting the lightweight flywheel also. being a daily driver with racing on the weekends would it be worth it. any information would help

thanks

1995 Mitsubishi 3000gt base.....rolled 7 times at 120mph
2001 Honda Prelude turbocharged.....sold
1994 Dodge Stealth TT.....K&NFIPK,StillenDownpipe,Borla Catback,Boostvalve.comboost controller15psi,HKS SS Bov,Magnacore wires,Ngkplugs,URunderdrive pulley,Custom shortshifter,Autometer boostguage, Stillencrossdrilledrotors(front),Brembocrossdrilled/slotted(back)

soon to be added: S-AFC,DSM450cc injectors,Walbro
255lph fuel pump, Kenne bell boost a spark, Fuel pumphot wire, and 13g turbo's

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Regardless of outright accelerative performance gain, I think this is a worthwhile item. It near doubled the fun-factor of my car. Double clutching is so much faster with it and the engine SKYROCKETS to redline in neutral.

I'd love to see the result of an aluminum accessory pulley and crankshaft weight-reduction (common race preparation) in conjunction with this flywheel (and faster engine management to deal with it). You'd practically have an F1 car on your hands.

Fun, fun.

-Chris Wood

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I gained 1mph trap speed, but that was on a 3150lb N/A, so a TT may not see the same improvement. I like it except for the fact that the pressure plate bolts have come loose twice and I had to pull the tranny to tighten them.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Before I put one on my car I felt that it would be a waste of money. I was wrong. It has been one of the best upgrades I did. The car accelerates much harder in first gear and even second gear feels stronger.
I was concerned about possable problems with the engine stalling when pushing in the clutch and bogging during a hard launch. I haven't had a problem with either issue.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what flywheels are you guys using?

1995 Mitsubishi 3000gt base.....rolled 7 times at 120mph
2001 Honda Prelude turbocharged.....sold
1994 Dodge Stealth TT.....K&NFIPK,StillenDownpipe,Borla Catback,Boostvalve.comboost controller15psi,HKS SS Bov,Magnacore wires,Ngkplugs,URunderdrive pulley,Custom shortshifter,Autometer boostguage, Stillencrossdrilledrotors(front),Brembocrossdrilled/slotted(back)

soon to be added: S-AFC,DSM450cc injectors,Walbro
255lph fuel pump, Kenne bell boost a spark, Fuel pumphot wire, and 13g turbo's

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm using a fidanza flywheel and it is worth the money. From my experiences and from what I've drawn from reading up from it on the board, it is much more "touchy" with air control coming into the engine. Because of the drastic drop in rpms so quickly, if there is something like a vacuum leak along the intake, it will cause the rpms to drop very low, or even stall out the car. But yes it is definately worth the money and I'm very glad I bought it, just make sure if you get it to check over vacuum leaks to avoid a headache.

·
Registered
550 Posts
alum flywheel

How long have you guys had your alum flywheel? Ive heard because It might warp easier with heat being alum, you go thru more clutches-any truth to that?

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
I've had one for about 8 months now. The stalling sucks, but that may or may not be caused by a failing IAC motor. Aside from that and the pressure plate bolts coming loose all's well. If you want real bang for the buck, get a nitrous kit. If you want a mild mod that's a little on the expensive side, go for the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i did it a bit ago, now first off get a stage III i wish i did. also the flywheel gave my car a little xtra pep if u will. but the big reason y i got it was so i could say i did. it revs a little faster and dropes a little faster. but get the stage III all in all not a bad way to spend 1400bux:D

·
boosted
904 Posts
I like it except for the fact that the pressure plate bolts have come loose twice and I had to pull the tranny to tighten them.
You probably already use it, but I know when I installed my Fidanza and RPS Stage II clutch it recommended to put threadlocker on all the bolts to prevent them from backing out.

I have not had any problems with it stalling, and would by again in a second.

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
had fidanza
ring gear came off of fidanza
had to push start
put stock flywheel back in
starts with key now
Matt

·
Back in the Saddle
3,133 Posts
TT Stealth81381 said:
ok i plan on getting a rps street spec clutch. i was also thinking about getting the lightweight flywheel also. being a daily driver with racing on the weekends would it be worth it. any information would help
I'm 5 days into my new clutch, including lightened flywheel. It is performing flawlessly, but I definitely need to add a bit more gas to have a smooth start from a stop. Either it is the clutch that grabs that much better, or it is the lack of as much rotational inertia that makes me have to press a bit more on the throttle. If I don't, the car might stall because of how quickly the rpms drop. Since you mentioned it was a daily driver, I'll also mention the increased pressure required to push in the clutch. It is definitely firmer than stock, and I'm comfortable with it, but it took some getting used to. A firmer clutch pedal is a PITA in stop-and-go traffic.

I've been going easy on it so far, meaning I haven't done any high rpm slips or dumps, so I can't tell you about better performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.