Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3/S Addict
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what exactly 'lifter tick' is. I heard the term and just wanted to know what it was in case it ever happens to me. Like what are the symptoms, what does it do to your car, how much and how do you fix it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Its oil ticking through the lash adjusters. You'll hear a ticking sound when the car is running. The only real fix is to replace the lash adjusters with the newer ones (they eventually used larger adjusters to correct the problem). They are only like $2/piece or something, but i hear it will take days to do it.

.jon

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bad news... I replaced my lifters in June and all through summer not a hint of any tick..

Now that the weather is colder, the tick has come back but goes away once the car has warmed up.

Anyone else replace the lash adjusters(lifters) and have the tick come back?

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
jon3k said:
They are only like $2/piece or something, but i hear it will take days to do it.

.jon

Correction, they are $12.47ea. and thats from Talahasse Mitsubishi (ddcount dealer)

12.47 X 24 = $299.28 :eek: :eek:

Chris

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Replacing the lash adjusters will cause the problem to go away. It's fairly possible that the tick will come back. These cars use the same lash adjusters are the Eclipse. I had an Eclipse GSX that had ticking lifters. We replaced them and had no problem until winter set in. Hello, Lifter Tick! I've heard reports of the ticks coming back after 10k miles or so (after replacing).

It is truly quite annoying, isn't it?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I guess its because the oil is a little thicker in the winter, being colder and all. Maybe trying a lower weight oil? 5w30? I've got the lifter tick myself, but haven't even CONSIDERED replacing them. Way too complicated for me. Took me 2hrs to change my spark plugs :)

.jon

·
Registered
539 Posts
No... I think you are thinking of the valves and that they are the ones ticking.. It's the lash adjusters that are ticking because of lack of oil pressure inside them. They cannot be adjusted.

I agree with Jon3k that because it being colder.. the oil is thicker and which makes it hard for the lash adjuster to fill up with oil till the oil warms up some.

Guess that could explain why the tick goes away once the car warms up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I accidentally used 15W50 last oil change and the tick alomst stopped. I changed back to 10W30 and its back. I use it like a tool. If it ain't tickin', I get worried;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts