Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
I kill brakes
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LEXAN GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Percy's, a local race parts company. I now have the prices for MOLDED (not flat stock) Lexan rear hatch glass replacments. They have a proprietory coating that is almost scratch-proof, repells water better than Rain-X, and also available with anti-fog coating. These are made 1 inch oversized so you can trim it to fit exactly in your stock molding and with polyurathane sealant, it will not pop out. Or you can fasten it to your hatch. I checked other products also, so the lightweight stuff is here!

1/8 inch thick, Speedglass coated hatch replacement----$254

1/8 inch thick, Speedglass coated rear 1/4 windows for Stealth---$80

1/4 inch thick, Speedglass coated front windshield------$367

Note: the coating works better than rain-X, so windshield wipers are no longer needed, unless you drive your racecar in some extreme conditions!
Other thicknesses available upon request, additional cost may apply, these are the size used for stock replacement.

This company is well known in the racing community, and GT-Pro deals with them also.

If your serious about speed........this is up your alley!

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts
weight of stock glass compared to this?

·
I kill brakes
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be less than 1/2 the weight of stock glass. I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can get exact weights. I forgot to add one thing, Side windows are also available, its just that we agreed that probly no-one wants them because we though it not a good idea with frameless windows.

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts
could be, should be, might be ;)
Not being an ass, seriously...but will need to know exact not guesstimates. Meaning exact weight of stock and of lexan. No guesses on either ;)
Not bad prices if it's substantial weight loss.

·
Wanna be TT
1,508 Posts
I remember reading an old old old post from Trevor about a carbon fiber hatch, and him wishing he would have just went lexan becuase the glass was the majority of the weight.

Could be wrong though :) Sounds badass.

·
I kill brakes
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris95RT said:
I remember reading an old old old post from Trevor about a carbon fiber hatch, and him wishing he would have just went lexan becuase the glass was the majority of the weight.

Could be wrong though :) Sounds badass.
Your right....just keep in mind NHRA street-stock classes don't allow Lexan windows, which is why Trevor won't be getting one.

Yes, you can put it in yourself. I however, will have a glass guy come and remove the stock when this gets installed, because he has a cool cordless electric caulk gun with poly glass sealant, so I wont need to screw it to the hatch. Remember that this is made oversized, so that you can trim it to stock size for stock mounting (lexan is easy to work with, cut, sand, ect) or leave oversize for fastener mounting.

·
AWD Road Racing Fanatic
1,703 Posts
Find out the weight and I am in.

One question though, will this thin 1/8" Lexan on this big hatch withstand the wind buffeting? Those Nascars always reinforce their windows, will I have to do the same to drive at 160 mph?

How about a 1/4" tinted Lexan sunroof? Just kicking ideas around. Maybe I should get a carbon/glass fiber one. :)

Philip

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts
Yes, trevor found out when He bought his fiberglass hatch that the hatch itself weighed nothing, it was all glass weight and if he knew that he would have just bought lexan and put it in the stock hatch.

and sorry if it sounds picky, but I don't want to hear "it will weigh half as much as glass" I want an actual weight of the glass and of the lexan to make a decision.

·
I have an ego problem
2,616 Posts
Import Power said:
Yes, trevor found out when He bought his fiberglass hatch that the hatch itself weighed nothing, it was all glass weight and if he knew that he would have just bought lexan and put it in the stock hatch.

and sorry if it sounds picky, but I don't want to hear "it will weigh half as much as glass" I want an actual weight of the glass and of the lexan to make a decision.

Picky..shit..ur not picky....can we get it to work with the rear defrost too??>..JK

sounds intresting...You could always tint it so you can't see the discoloration

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am very interested. I suspect that it would need a brace as 1/8 is thin and would flex. Need to konw the weights of each to make a decision.

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts
Trevor said:
Stock hatch minus trim with the wiper motor = 29 lbs
Fiber glass hatch before paint = 12 lbs

I didn't weigh it myself but from what I've read the glass is supposed to weigh 16 lbs.
hmm, I thought I read much more. If it's only 16 to begin with, under 10 pounds savings isn't worth much money

1 - 20 of 120 Posts