Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

level ten

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  mattyboyl 
#1 ·
I have a few questions regarding beefing up my auto tranny.

I emailed level ten a variety of times about these questions and tehy really dont give me and answers at all. They told me I needed this:
PTS TRANSMISSION 3264.00
PTS TORQUE CONVERTOR SERVICE 498.00
PTS COOLER 89.00

Would i also need the level 10 PTS tranny kit on top of the level ten tranny I would be buying? The kit replaces the front and rear clutch with kevlar units and replaces all the soft parts to increase durability. I was wondering if the tranny came like that from level ten, or would I need the kit as well?

But I was also told that I should get the GT-PRO auto kit which includes:

Torque Converter
Re-calibrated Valve Body
Overdrive Clutch End

Would I need these on top of the level ten tranny?

Sorry...im very confused and level ten didnt answer these questions the three times i sent it to them... Thank you, hope somebody knows this stuff.

Geno-

:D

See less See more
#2 ·
The PTS Kit ($500 or so)
The GT-Pro Kit (Includes Torque Converter, etc) $1000
PTS Cooler

Quaife LSD! $1000

The above is my list for bulletproofing an auto tranny, which I made before I traded into a TT. Any GOOD tranny shop should be able to do this, if they are willing to. The Quaife unit shores up the achillies heel of the auto tranny.... the diff.

The level10 tranny is just a normal tranny rebuilt with all parts they offer. The GT-Pro Torque converter is redundant to the L10 service, but the valve body and OD clutch are not.

#3 ·
Cool, Yea, I've been following your posts as you wanted to beef up your old auto. I'm still stickin with the l10/supercharger idea....i like the idea of having a sleeper

Well my auto tranny is at 86,000 miles and starting to slip on me so I'm in need of a new tranny anyways. So if I just go out and get the l10 tranny as a whole...it comes with all the extra's like the pts kit etc? But would it come with the torque convertor w/l10 service, or do I have to send my old one in? Or would I be better off getting the Gt-Pro one? With the new tranny, what all should I use from GT-PRO included in their kit? Would the GT-PRO Re-calibrated Valve Body and Overdrive Clutch End be compatable with it, or would I even need them with the entire new tranny? Thanks again man.

Definately getting the LSD.

#4 ·
I know that the full level10 tranny comes with a torque converter, so that would be unneccessary. The valve body recalibration is also included, I believe, which would negate the need for that part. I'm not sure about the OD clutch end. I'd say that the full L10 tranny + LSD would have you covered. L10 will install the LSD for you if you get it for them.

#5 ·
Since your tranny is slipping and it will be going out on you pretty soon why dont you just pop in the Manual. It will definatly give you more power than the Level10 Upgraded Tranny. Well worth it cuz anybody will tell you that a Level10 Upgrade with all its goodies still do not equal up to a basic 5-speed. But its your call man since you like the whole sleeper thing. Its cool. ;)

#6 ·
Yea, I looked into the manual swap etc...but checked around shops and nobody would take the job. I also looked into doing it myself, but I wouldn't know the first thing to do. 30 hours of labor for someone who knows what they're doing....i cant imaging how long it would take me.

So if i order the level ten tranny, i can just have someone do it at a good shop along with an LSD when i have the money for both?

I heard somewhere that a l10 tranny is better than the stock 5 speed 3/S have. With the torque convertor and hi perf. tranny etc im sure it can get up and go like a 5 speed.

#7 ·
Level 10 BAD!!!!!!!!

Before you deal with Level 10 go to www.Supraforums.com and read what they have to say about them. They have had serious, serious problems with Level 10. I seriously suggest you find out info from people on Supraforums. I know someone(s) have lawsuits being filed in the process. Check it out.

#10 ·
Oh man,.... I'm not messin' with that. All i have to say is, NOW WHAT!?

Would you guys think that the gt-pro kit with the torque convertor, Re-calibrated Valve Body,Overdrive Clutch End, a large tranny cooler, and a LSD with a rebuilt stock auto tranny would be able to handle 300-350 hp... of course with the LSD....or is there another route I could go? Manual swap is looking much more appealing.

#11 ·
My advice to you, if you have not already done this, is to go out and find a TT/VR4 in your area and take it for a test drive. THEN decide whether you really want to put all that $ into upgrading your car. You may still decide to upgrade what you have, but at least it will be an informed decision.

All it took was one test drive for me to give up my plans for massive upgrades.

P.S..... manuals are just more fun to drive!

#12 ·
Been there....i took two for test drives.... vr4/tt are crazy fast...but right when im about to get one..the next day--they are sold... I would love to..but im not buying one except from a dealer because my car just wont sell around here in Boise... so I'm looking for a trade in on a vr4 thats been kept in good condition...been waiting too long...maybe ill just be more patient--

#13 ·
Well if you want to keep your ATX than go for the ATX TRANNY UPGRADES but if you are even considering to get a 5 - Speed in the future it is not worth it. You will never get enough back when you sell it to what you payed for it brand new. It is simply cuz a 5 - Speed is soo much faster than an Upgraded ATX Tranny. The Torque Converter just doesnt do a good job as the Clutch and Flywheel. ;)

BTW : It is possible to run good numbers with an ATX but it will just cost you more. Several Probe GT owners run 13's in there ATX PGT's because they are so heavily modded. TOO MUCH MONEY.:D

#15 ·
BTW....What exactly is an LSD and what does it do again???:confused:

#16 ·
LSD puts more power to your wheels where it counts. The auto tranny's are slush boxes, they transfer hardly any power to the wheels. There is no need for a Level 10 Tranny! If your going to drop all that money into a transmission you should just drop in a manual. For about 2800 you can have a manual tranny with a performance flywheel and RPS stage II clutch, installed! The manual tranny is the way to go, unless of course you did the L10 tranny and the LSD, but were talking allot of cash. I am putting a manual in my car when my auto tranny goes ;)

#17 ·
Quaife LSD cost about 1000 bucks. They not only help power get to the ground, dont they also make it so equal amounts of power go to each wheel? Which is going to be useful with torquesteer/takeoff after a supercharger.

I am now getting the manual swap done to my car including the RPS stage 2 + the findanzo flywheel and a LSD. GUnna need this all in prep for all the power im gunna be throwing at it. Just waitin' until my tranny dies on me.

#18 ·
ShawnE94sL said:
I am putting a manual in my car when my auto tranny goes ;) [/B]
:rolleyes: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.