Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered some LED bulbs for the turn signals and brake lights on my 94 SL.
When I ordered the bulbs (from Amazon), I added 4 resistors (one for each turn signal).
These resistors were supposed to fix the "hyperflash" issue.
Due to my limited knowledge, I screwed something up.
The rear turn signal LEDs flashed properly with a resistor connected to each one but once I wired up the front turn signals, things got screwy. And by screwy, I mean turn signals not working unless the headlights were off, fog lights blinking with turn signals and other very odd behavior (likely my fault due to amateur wiring etc).
I was frustrated and confused. While I was online trying to find a fix, I stumbled upon a website somewhere mentioning that a new flasher would fix the issue and that resistors wouldn't be needed at all.
I looked into it and saw that Autozone had a new flasher for my car for $12.99 so I went ahead and ordered it.
I picked it up that day, chopped off the resistors and plugged in my new flasher.
It worked!
All of the headaches trying to find a place to mount the resistors, wiring them up, etc all gets avoided with a $13 flasher that you can just pick up at a local auto parts store??? How come no one told me!! lol jk
But yeah I just wanted to let everyone know (even though most of you are probably well aware of this) if you are looking to do an LED upgrade, pickup an LED-compatible flasher for a few bucks and save yourself a bunch of work.
It's almost too good to be true.
Here's a link to the one I purchased but I'm sure there are others out there as well.
https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/hazard-warning-flasher/novita-turn-signal-flasher/849389_642490_11714

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
And by screwy, I mean turn signals not working unless the headlights were off, fog lights blinking with turn signals and other very odd behavior
now, this did make me laugh! lol
I'm just imagining trying to use my signal lights at night and the only way they work is if I turn off my headlights and turn on my fog lights lol

by the way, did you buy your LEDs from some internet vendor like Amazon or Ebay so that you can give us your LED part numbers?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way, did you buy your LEDs from some internet vendor like Amazon or Ebay so that you can give us your LED part numbers?
Amber 1157 for front turn signals here:
YITAMOTOR 1157 LED Brake Reverse Turn Signal Light for Camper RV Trailer, 12V BAY15D Amber LED Bulb (pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKVXF7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CrG-AbQGSRSMB

4-pack of 1157 red for the tail lights (each side has two bulbs) :
KaTur 4pcs 1157 BAY15D 5630 33-SMD Red 900 Lumens 8000K Super Bright LED Turn Tail Brake Stop Signal Light Lamp Bulb 12V 3.6W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KLGRIR0?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

And these two 1157 red bulbs were used for my rear turn signals:
TUINCYN 1157 BAY15D Red 5630 33SMD LED Bulbs 900 Lumens Bright Brake Stop Parking Light Turn Signals Bulb Side Markers Lamp DC 12V 3.6W (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RDX6F2?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

No telling how long these bulbs will actually hold up but hopefully they last a while.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Great info, I was thinking of replacing my regulars once they wore out.

I would use amber in front turns due to clear turn housing but is there a benefit to getting colored red bulbs over white for the rear?
Also do you know which led bulb on amazon fits for the rear license plate?
Not looking for super bright/strong but dim bright white to match the white of the 5000k headlights.

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info, I was thinking of replacing my regulars once they wore out.

I would use amber in front turns due to clear turn housing but is there a benefit to getting colored red bulbs over white for the rear?
Also do you know which led bulb on amazon fits for the rear license plate?
Not looking for super bright/strong but dim bright white to match the white of the 5000k headlights.

Thanks
I'm guessing you have the clear aftermarket turn signals in front.
The red bulbs in my tail lights are just a preference of mine.
I've seen standard (non-red) bulbs in some tail lights and it makes the light look pinkish in color. Adding the red bulbs ensures the brake lights are very much red.

I'm sure on standard amber front turn signals you can use a regular "clear" bulb but I might switch to clear turn signals at some point and I'd like to have the amber bulbs in front, ready to go.

Regarding the bulbs by the license plate; I went ahead and ordered the bulbs in the link below about a week ago but unfortunately I am unable to actually remove the license plate lights. The screws are pretty much rusted in. Looks like the only option I have is to either leave them alone or drill the stubborn screws out.
168 Bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07882MBQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts