Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my i noticed my 1992 dodge stealth is leaking gas. Can anyone tell me a solution on how to fix it? It is leaking near the top of the gas tank. Please help

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth ES 5sp
173 Posts
do you know exactly where it is coming from? is it your fuel line that is leaking?

If you take out your spare tire/stuff from your trunk, there should be a panel at the bottom that can access the fuel sending unit, so you can inspect that to get a better look.

·
Registered
838 Posts
To add onto what mini_cal said, if you don't see any leaks at the fuel hat, check the lines from the fuel hat to the hard lines. If you jack up the passenger side of the car and look kinda behind the rear passenger wheel you'll see two lines coming off the tank, make sure they are tight.

WARNING: Only move the rubber line to disconnect/tighten, the nut on the fuel hat doesn't spin and you will break it if you try to turn it.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,910 Posts
To take Ross' post a bit further...
The engineer who designed the connections to the fuel hat should have been fired long before his design hit the board.
Why in the world would you have a coupling that requires you to jack up the car and break the coupling next to the rear axle?

The pictures aren't EXACTLY telling me where the leak is, but maybe the hose from the filler neck to the tank?

Bob.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To take Ross' post a bit further...
The engineer who designed the connections to the fuel hat should have been fired long before his design hit the board.
Why in the world would you have a coupling that requires you to jack up the car and break the coupling next to the rear axle?

The pictures aren't EXACTLY telling me where the leak is, but maybe the hose from the filler neck to the tank?

Bob.
sorry for the late reply should i drop the tank to see where it is leaking? it seems to only leak when i fill my gas up all the way

·
Registered
838 Posts
If it only leaks when you fill your gas up, it's probably the fill neck. The fill neck either has a hole in it, or the hose clamp at the end of it has become loose, you should be able to check it with the tank still in the car.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,871 Posts
If it only leaks when you fill your gas up, it's probably the fill neck. The fill neck either has a hole in it, or the hose clamp at the end of it has become loose, you should be able to check it with the tank still in the car.
While this is the most likely solution, there is another, albeit unlikely, issue.

If the fuel pump has been changed, and studs for the hanger broken, it can leak when full. Mine did, because some dumbass(cough cough me cough broke three of the studs off. The best thing to do at this juncture is pull the spare tire, and the plastic tray on the passenger side. Then, there's a squarish panel with 4 screws that comes out to expose the fuel pump hanger assembly. I'd check there.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts