Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, lets start off by restating NEVER go to Mitsubishi....I brought my car for a leaking problem coming from the rear differential. The rear diff had oil all over it and the dealer replaced the seals and such costing me $960!!!! The problem is STILL THERE!! I bring it back to mistubishi, they tell me they will fix it no problem free of charge, but when i get there they check it out sayin its my rack pinion leakin and will be around $1185 to fix!!!!! Would that cause my rear diff to have all that oil? Any advice or input would be great.
How much for labor if my rack pinion is busted? I hear it's 250 for the part.
Thanks
-Ryan

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,086 Posts
It's normal for the rack to 'sweat'. If it's just a coating and you're not leaving big puddles don't worry about it. Every 3/S I've checked out has a bit of PS fluid on the rack...

Ted

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
I am totally confused...

Your original problem and repair was for a "rear differential" (which I have never heard of one leaking)

and then you went back to the dealer, I suppose because you were still seeing fluid leaking. Was it dripping on the ground or did you just see oil on the differential?

In terms of leaks, while it is certainly possible for any fluids leaking under the car to get blown back towards the differential it is impossible to mistake leaking GL5 (which stinks) for ATF (power steering fluid.)

Really wondering if the dealer actually determined that the differential was low on fluid / leaking or if they just took you for a ride.

OMT - Take the car to a local garage and get under the car with the mechanic to check the transfer case fluid level. I would like to believe the dealer would know the difference between a leaking transmission, differential, transfer case and steering rack but from your description of the dealer, I would not bet my life on it.

Clint

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
cbatters said:
In terms of leaks, while it is certainly possible for any fluids leaking under the car to get blown back towards the differential it is impossible to mistake leaking GL5 (which stinks) for ATF (power steering fluid.)
they prob also saw that the rack was leaking from up front. auto shops do this to keep u there so they can make their money.

is the PS fluid leaking onto ur downpipe?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts