Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have made myself a leak test device out of pvc pipe in order to leak check my turbo and intercooler plumbing. I have removed the mass air sensor and the Y pipe. I have plugged the two hoses that ran to the Y pipe from the intercoolers and am putting the pressure in at the large boot that the mass air sensor was plumbed into. My question is why am I getting a large amount of pressure blowing out of the plenum where the Y pipe was removed? There should be know relationship with the intake plenum and turbos with Y pipe removed? This is a large amount of air blowing out the plenum and I can not build up any pressure while testing. The only thing I can think of is a vacuum line tied into the turbos is venting back to the intake. I am going to investigate some more but any input meanwhile would be greatly apreciated.

4,448 Posts
ok, the air goes into the pvc pipe, then thru the turbos, to the intercoolers and then up to the Y pipe. you disconnected it. you should NOT have disconnected your Y pipe. reconnect it and then you should be able to build up pressure in the system. it needs to be a CLOSED loop to build pressure :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah!

I found a line that ran up to the plenum from the boot that the mass plugs into.Plugged it and now I am leak checking. I used two cold medicine bottles to plug the two lines comming from the intercoolers and that worked fine. I know that the Y pipe is a problem but I took it out of the picture for this test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts