Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
I wonder if Lear2000 has received a similar letter...
( www.lear2000.com )
it's not really a kitcar, but it's probably the closest looking diablo 'kit' I've ever seen.

From the Article
Inferior parts maybe but only a fool would not be able to tell the difference between a real Lamborghini and a kit.
Yes, but there are a LOT of fools out there who would think kit's are real thing.

Personally, I don't like the idea of kit cars...on a small scale, they're fine...but since they've become manufactured on a much larger scale, it takes away from the original.
Some day I hope to own a Countach and I can say that I'm concerned that alot of people who see it will think it's just a kit car. Kit cars can ruin things for the true owners/enthusiasts.
One of the main ideas behind exotics is the uniqueness...if kit cars every catch on in a big way, that uniqueness will be lost.
Frankly, if anyone ever asked me if my Countach (or any of my cars) is a kit car, I'd be insulted.
"If it ain't the real thing, I don't want it"

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Kit cars bring the value down of the original car also....such as the Shelby Cobra...etc. Maybe Mitsu will say the same thing about these fiberglass 99 wings that usually go for $1000+?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I hate to tell them but unless the car is <b>identical</b> in every panel (in other words, an exact copy), they have no case. The law doesn't protect similar designs or even those that are very close. As long as the car ships without Lamborghini badges they're fine.

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
if anyone thinks it's a kit car, gun the engine while you're next to them - that will end the misconception
It's pretty easy to build up a 400-500 horsepower engine these days..supercharged V-8, TT V-6, etc. They can put just as much or more power than a real Lambo V12.

The law doesn't protect similar designs or even those that are very close
You're right, Lamborghini/Ferrari probably know this...they're prolly just trying to spook the kitcar manufacturer's a little. Besides, the law may be different in European countries..that letter may have been directed towards a European kitcar manufacturer, or an American manufacturer who wants to release their kit in Europe. Even "similar" design may be against the rules in other countries.

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts