Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Kyb struts

472 Views 10 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Marshja3
I have a 98’ SL that doesn’t have ecs but I want to lower it with springs and have read threads saying it is possible to lower a non ecs fwd 3000gt if I get ecs struts with the strut mount and insulator? I’m just confused and want to know if the correct way is regular fit for the front and ecs in the rear and I can get springs for it?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
The issue is the ECS FWD Struts have a slightly different spring diameter size. I went through this recently. You can use your current stuff, however it will cause the rear of the car to sit lower then intended which will result in a reverse rake look, and the springs to not be seated on the strut correctly.

So as you said, you can buy ECS Tophats/hardware, and the top spring insulator as a work around..

You'll mainly want part #8 and #9 in the diagram I posted below. Part Numbers MB631669 and MB631668.. Two of each

I had two rear ECS FWD Struts collecting dust in my garage already so that made this easy for me. you could try sourcing a fully assembled used set on ebay or from another member to get everything you need otherwise you can still get those parts new from Mitsubishi it looks like.

See less See more
The issue is the ECS FWD Struts have a slightly different spring diameter size. I went through this recently. You can use your current stuff, however it will cause the rear of the car to sit lower then intended which will result in a reverse rake look, and the springs to not be seated on the strut correctly. So as you said, you can buy ECS Tophats/hardware, and the top spring insulator as a work around.. You'll mainly want part #8 and #9 in the diagram I posted below. Part Numbers MB631669 and MB631668.. Two of each I had two rear ECS FWD Struts collecting dust in my garage already so that made this easy for me. you could try sourcing a fully assembled used set on ebay or from another member to get everything you need otherwise you can still get those parts new from Mitsubishi it looks like. View attachment 311349
Since you mentioned springs, can I use the Megan springs or tein? And also is rock auto the best place to get them or not because I know it’ll be from scratch
I've read countless times you can use the Tein Springs on a FWD even though they are intended for AWD cars, but I've never done it personally.
So from your experience, is it worth it? I don’t want to spend money on coils atm
In terms of handling and ride I think KYBs + Lowering spring is far superior to majority of the coilovers available for the 3/S platform.
Reactions: 1
In terms of handling and ride I think KYBs + Lowering spring is far superior to majority of the coilovers available for the 3/S platform.
Appreciate the advice. Just to make sure, the front I can use non ecs and the rear ecs with the top hats and insulator? I’m just trying to make sure I’m understanding it before purchasing it. If I’m wrong, is there any link you’re able to provide me with?
No it's only the rears that are different
These any goode?

See less See more
I've heard alot of people say good things about the Megan springs in the past, but they always looked a touch low for me, however I believe they are also the firmest lowering spring.
Well maybe I'll have a pleasant ride after I'm done installing them.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts