Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at www.pureperf.com, they sell KVR brake pads and rotors (and AP racing big brake kits). They will sell a set of four 2nd-gen VR-4 rotors, cross drilled and cadmium plated, shipped for around $550. The price is right, but how are the rotors? Anyone have good/bad experience with them?

What are some other alternatives? I've seen DR selling Stillen rotors, but I don't even know where to buy Powerstop, Brembo, Porterfield, etc. - much less how much they cost.

Are there any particular rotors that anyone would recommend? $600 is about my price ceiling. Cadmium (or other rust-prevention) coating is essential.

Crack resistance is important (I've heard some cross-drilled rotors fare better than others). What kind of crack-free mileage could I expect?

Thanks,
-Chris Wood

P.S. If anyone can give me the part # for speed bleeders for 2nd-gen calipers AND the clutch slave cylinder, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.P.S. I've attached a picture of a cross-drilled Brabus rotor - it cracked quite a bit.

Attachments

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Jeff I've looked over your page before. LOTS of useful info (as usual). Regarding your reference to Autospecialty.com - they don't actually tell you where you can buy Powerstop rotors! How did you buy them?

At any rate - feedback of all kinds is appreciated...

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTT

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For a VR4 I would go with the Stillen rotors and metal matrix pads. I have them for my SL and they stop very well.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Autospecialty is the wholsale supplier for every small perf shop out there. If you go to a local perf shop, they will have the same catalog with a different cover and the prices are insane like 300% mark-up--oh and powerstops suck--I warped mine 3x already.

Sam

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autospecialty is the wholsale supplier for every small perf shop out there. If you go to a local perf shop, they will have the same catalog with a different cover and the prices are insane like 300% mark-up--oh and powerstops suck--I warped mine 3x already.
Hmm, it does seem like they make rotors for a lot of companies, but can they be bought directly for less? They're probably not worth buying, huh.

Any idea if KVR rotors are made by Autospecialty as well?

Is there any stock-replacement rotor out there that won't warp or crack under hard street driving? I'm not going racing with these or anything, but I don't want warping or cracking from occasional high-speed stops (sometimes repeated a few times in a row, but nothing track-style abusive). Cross drilling looks better and sheds heat faster, but will it weaken my rotors too much?

Thanks for the info, more feedback apreciated.

-Chris Wood

·
intercooled member
511 Posts
I installed these KVR rotors only a couple days ago and so far I really like them. Good fit, excellent finish ( I got mine Cadmium plated from pureperf). Anyhow that's my 2 cents worth. :)

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed these KVR rotors only a couple days ago and so far I really like them. Good fit, excellent finish ( I got mine Cadmium plated from pureperf). Anyhow that's my 2 cents worth.
Yeah, if I get those I'm getting them Cadmium plated black. I'd love to hear about your rotors six months to a year down the road... but I need rotors like six months to a year before that. ;)

I expect my car to be driving by January. It may run for the first time in another week or so.

Thanks,
-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, does anyone here know about the Brembo rotors that some guy crossdrills/slots himself? I saw a post about ordering them a while back and they look great (besides having an excellent price). I emailed the guy a few days ago (I think his address was [email protected]) and I have received no reply yet.

Does anyone know if he sells them anymore?

-Chris Wood

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Supposedly, many manufacturers use Brembo blanks, and cross drill and cadmium plate them afterwards and change the name. A few actually are stock rotors that are cross drilled and are no better then the stockers obviously (maybe worse!). My powerstops came cross drilled and plated and I paide almost $300 from a local shop (Autospecialty) for them. They were warped out of the box and needed to be cut. They lasted almost a year of road use, then warped. I cut them again and they warped the first time I street raced with them. I took the original stock rotors and had them cut and painted them and they are holding up okay but lately are slightly vibrating above 80mph when I hit the brakes. I have noticed something though. In the past whenever I armor-all the tires, I had sprayed the stuff on the wheels and never noticed if I got some on the rotors. Now, I swipe them instead with a sponge. Also, my CV joint was leaking which may have also contributed to the warped rotors. Just some things to think about as I complain about the crappy brakes. It may all be caused by ME after all!?

Sam

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know what KVR rotors are (perhaps KVR makes them?), but the guy who cross-drills and slots his own Brembos DEFINATELY doesn't use stock rotors. He'd lose money! I believe he sells a full set of 2nd-gen rotors cross-drilled and plated for around $300 (and makes a profit). Mitsubishi rotors would cost $500 or $600!

-Chris Wood

P.S. Check the picture below... still trying to get in touch with this guy to buy those rotors! TELL ME THOSE AREN'T THE SWEETEST LOOKING ROTORS YOU'VE EVER SEEN!

Attachments

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
Yo Sam,
If you are interested in trying the Stillen rotors, let me know. I can see if I can get you a real good price on them.
My brother has them on his 92 VR-4 and no probs aside from wearing out the pads. :p

F

·
0 Posts
KVR brakes are made by KVR Performance Inc. They are an Ottawa (Canada) based company. I used KVR pads on my (former) RT and they work well. Stopping distance is good, relatively quiet and very little brake dust on the rims. You can order directly from them and probably save some money because of the Canadian/US exchange rate.

www.kvrperformance.com

Cheers,
F117A

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
Chris - those rotors look real nice, I can't imagine how he could get a decent set of rotors, cadmium plate them, cross drill them, slot them, and still sell for 300 bucks. Even solid rotors usually cost more than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts