Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,2,3,4 I love MarineCore
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been working on my car for yearss, and I'm getting close to buttoning it all back up and getting it back on the road. I had a oil catch can setup on my car, but decided to go with krank vents instead. The front krank vent is hooked installed the normal way. But i was thinking for the rear one (bigger one), if i could route it to my oil catch can so I could keep that hooked up as well. I know that it would be over kill, but I'm like "why not". I also have a blow through setup so there isn't a nipple to route the rear krank vent to the "air filter". I was just going to vent it to open atmosphere but decided to route it into the intake pipe. But I am not sure about how I have it routed since I also have done the vacuum reduction mod. Here are some pictures. I plan on cleaning up the hoses, and tucking them away to look more clean, but for now I
just want to get everything done. And then worry about making it look "nicer".

·
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have a short video that am waiting to upload that should make things a little clearer and easier to understand.

·
Lovbyts
3,772 Posts
I just hooked up both my front and rear valve cover hoses one with the large Krank vent and the other with the small crank vent both 2 smaller oil catch cans. You though yours was overkill. lol

I had unhooked my oil catch can and noticed when I start up the car it did smoke for a second so they must work.

·
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just hooked up both my front and rear valve cover hoses one with the large Krank vent and the other with the small crank vent both 2 smaller oil catch cans. You though yours was overkill. lol

I had unhooked my oil catch can and noticed when I start up the car it did smoke for a second so they must work.
Do you have a picture of it?

·
One fix at a time
8,063 Posts
I don’t recommend running the large krank vent at all. On two different cars I verified it dropped the idle oil pressure by 7-9 psi because it was creating such a hard vacuum suction. It also does not vent enough air under higher boost as well. There’s a reason they claim to get rid of smoking, conceal bad valve stem seals, and other things due to how much extra vacuum they cause. I’m only running the small krank vent off the lower intake manifold to the valve cover with a barb fitting that replaces the stock PCV valve. You should run the line off the rear valve cover to a vented catch can and be done with it.

·
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t recommend running the large krank vent at all. On two different cars I verified it dropped the idle oil pressure by 7-9 psi because it was creating such a hard vacuum suction. It also does not vent enough air under higher boost as well. There’s a reason they claim to get rid of smoking, conceal bad valve stem seals, and other things due to how much extra vacuum they cause. I’m only running the small krank vent off the lower intake manifold to the valve cover with a barb fitting that replaces the stock PCV valve. You should run the line off the rear valve cover to a vented catch can and be done with it.
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. I'll go back to the kinda original setup that I had and just run the catch can on the rear. Should I still route the rear can to the intake pipe? That's what I am thinking of doing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just watched your video. Did I hear correctly you right that you have the rear valve cover vent(the one that is run to the intake bubble on a stock setup) plumbed to a T and then to a nipple just before the throttle body? As in the nipple that is usually used for the BOV boost reference? I mean I see there is a check valve, but is that check valve rated to hold against boost? I mean you have 19ts and quite a bit of other mods, so I'd assume you are shooting for 20+PSI. If that check valve isn't rated to hold against those sort of pressures that setup would just send your boost straight into the crank case...

·
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just watched your video. Did I hear correctly you right that you have the rear valve cover vent(the one that is run to the intake bubble on a stock setup) plumbed to a T and then to a nipple just before the throttle body? As in the nipple that is usually used for the BOV boost reference? I mean I see there is a check valve, but is that check valve rated to hold against boost? I mean you have 19ts and quite a bit of other mods, so I'd assume you are shooting for 20+PSI. If that check valve isn't rated to hold against those sort of pressures that setup would just send your boost straight into the crank case...
Yes it is, to answer your first question.
And for the rest, I went back to my catch can setup (for the rear). And I still have to do some re-routing for my vacuum hoses.

·
One fix at a time
8,063 Posts
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. I'll go back to the kinda original setup that I had and just run the catch can on the rear. Should I still route the rear can to the intake pipe? That's what I am thinking of doing.
I never did but you can if it makes you feel better. I actually just have the rear valve cover hose going to a small K&N filter. It works just fine but my motor is pretty healthy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts