Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need to replace the transmission in my 91 VR4 and I just talked to Kormex and WOW, they're much cheaper than any other rebuild I can find! I was wondering, the third gear syncro was the first thing to go out on my tranny and I've read some of your posts where you said like 5th went out, but the Kormex rebuild only comes with the 1 and 2 syncros redone. Have any of you guys with Kormex trannys had any problems with any of the gears that weren't redone? Also, they didn't say what kind of warranty they come with, do any of you know offhand? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanx
Oh, also, I am new to 3si, I just bought a Pearl White 91 VR4 with red leather from a guy named Indy in Omaha last month. He was a 3si member but I didn't get his username. My name is Chris, I'm 19, I live in Lakewood, Colorado and I bought the car with the tranny like that because he had paperwork for everything he'd ever done to the car and had just had the engine and turbos rebuilt. I got a great deal I have to say, the car is in perfect condition besides the tranny. Anyways, just looking through this site is awesome, you guys have some awesome rides and you all really know your stuff! I'm glad he referred me here and I hope to be a contributing member to this community. If you have any questions or anything, my e-mail is [email protected]
Thanx guys,
Chris

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
Welcome to the club. I was told I have a 90-day warrenty from Kormex. But I was also told alot of things from them. Some of which I now find out not to be true. Check for other recent threads about it. I have never heard anything bad about the TT/VR4 guys getting thier trannies from them, but I haven't had such luck. So be careful and get all of the terms in writing before you buy. It seems silly now, but better that than being out lots of cash. Just my thoughts and welcome again to 3Si.

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
How much did you pay for it? What kind of turbos did the other guy have put in? Any other modifications such as boost controller, etc.?

The 3rd gear in the Kormex tranny that I got is a little more difficult to get into gears than 1st or 2nd, but mainly just when I'm coming from close to redline in 2nd and (granny) shifting into 3rd.

good luck with everything

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid $7,000 for it. It had just had the engine and turbos rebuilt stock by Mitsubishi. He had all of the paperwork for everything he'd ever done to the car, and it was very well maintained. It was very clean under the hood, it's basically in perfect condition besides the tranny. The only other problems with it are the power antennae, which is getting fixed very soon, and the SRS light is on. When he had it inspected, they said it was sensors, est $950 to fix, but I talked to a Mitsubishi salesman who had a VR4 and he said that they often say things like that in service to make money, he said he can't see any problems being with the sensors if it's never been wrecked. He said it'd just need to be reset. The car is stock besides a K&N intake and some Eibach lowering springs in the front.

·
4,613 Posts
I have a kormex trans has about 6k miles on it over the last year and I have it apart with a suspected worn 2nd and 3rd gear synchro... I am a little anoyed as it hasnt seen any hard driving.. and now I am told it might not have had the upgraded 2nd gear synchro put in it... even though I thought that was what I was paying for... also the transfer case they gave me had a stipped drain plug and it is/was causing it to leak.... kinda disapointed for only 6k lets see how frank takes care of it though?!

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
I am pretty sure the Kormex are the best way to go. If I didn't find a them for ok deals form the junkyard I deal with I would have DEFINTALLY went with a Kormex.

I have rebuilt a few DSM tranies and I know from experience that it dosen't ALWAYS go right. You can do your best to inspect all the parts and they might look perfect but somthing you could't see or may have missed may show up to be a problem later.

It seems that the majority of owners are happy with the Kormex traines. I think the problems are few and far between and they offer a great service for us 3/S owners at a very good price. As always alot of the parts in the transmissions are used and there will always be some problems with some used stuff. You have to rember they can test the trans to an extent but the real test is when it is finally installed in the car and driven which is something Frank is unable to do with every trans they send out. So once and a while there could be one with problems that slips by and I think that is unavoidable with the amount of them they must rebuild.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the help guys, and that's a nice bike James. I've got a Ninja 600. I love it almost as much as my VR4. If anyone else has some info, please let me know. Frank seems like a really good guy and I've seen a lot of members with his trannies, so I'll probably get one as soon as I get the cash. I also have a quick poll, which is the best boost controller? I keep hearing different all the time. Thanks again guys.

·
Member #140 Aug, 1998
3,777 Posts
VR4tunate1 said:
Hey guys, I need to replace the transmission in my 91 VR4 and I just talked to Kormex and WOW, they're much cheaper than any other rebuild I can find! I was wondering, the third gear syncro was the first thing to go out on my tranny and I've read some of your posts where you said like 5th went out, but the Kormex rebuild only comes with the 1 and 2 syncros redone. Have any of you guys with Kormex trannys had any problems with any of the gears that weren't redone? Also, they didn't say what kind of warranty they come with, do any of you know offhand? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanx
Oh, also, I am new to 3si, I just bought a Pearl White 91 VR4 with red leather from a guy named Indy in Omaha last month. He was a 3si member but I didn't get his username. My name is Chris, I'm 19, I live in Lakewood, Colorado and I bought the car with the tranny like that because he had paperwork for everything he'd ever done to the car and had just had the engine and turbos rebuilt. I got a great deal I have to say, the car is in perfect condition besides the tranny. Anyways, just looking through this site is awesome, you guys have some awesome rides and you all really know your stuff! I'm glad he referred me here and I hope to be a contributing member to this community. If you have any questions or anything, my e-mail is [email protected]
Thanx guys,
Chris
Not true. Frank replaces whatever needs replacing in both the transfer case and the transaxle. It would be silly for him to send out the transmission replacement with a bad 5th gear syncro. I just got done replacing the 2nd and 5th syncro on a VR4 transmission myself and got both syncros plus the 2nd gear intermediate ring from Frank. Nice guy and very helpful.

John

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, yeah, I'm sure he replaces them if they're bad. What I meant was in the scenario that a syncro hasn't gone out yet. I'm not sure if you could tell how suceptible a syncro would be to go out since I don't know that much about transmissions. Thanx for the input man.

·
Member #140 Aug, 1998
3,777 Posts
VR4tunate1 said:
Well, yeah, I'm sure he replaces them if they're bad. What I meant was in the scenario that a syncro hasn't gone out yet. I'm not sure if you could tell how suceptible a syncro would be to go out since I don't know that much about transmissions. Thanx for the input man.
When a transmission is sitting on a bench, there is no way of knowing what any syncros condition is without disassembling the transmission which is what he has to do to check all syncros. He doesn't have the luxury of test driving the transmission in a car like we do. He gets them sent back to him as a core. With the cost of $120 each for syncros X 6 on a 5 speed and a limited supply of the other two parts of the 6 syncros, plus a new output shaft at $250 then the sleeve in the transfer case for another hundred or so, he is not making a killing, trust me. He has done a great service to our community. Ones that are worn beyond specs are replaced. The most common is the 2nd gear syncro so I imagine it always gets replaced unless it looks almost new in which case it would be silly to replace it. It is very easy to tell by looking at it if it is good, marginal or bad. Kind of like looking at brake pads and their wear surface / thickness. Trust me, I have just completed replacing 2nd and 5th syncros in a 5 speed. I got the parts from Frank. They are a large transmission rebuilding facility in Ontario, California, but he talks to you like he is one of the group. Nice guy. I have a photo of a good syncro next to a bad.
BTW, this is the 2nd gear syncro
Here you go.
Good Bad Syncro
John

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
hay VR4tunate1,
I recently joined this group and recently purchased a VR-4 too. i live in Boulder and i am trying to meet other 3/S ers around here. have you taken it to bandamere (sp?) yet? anyway, i got to go because it is like 5am.

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, what's up? No, I haven't taken it to Bandimere yet, but my friend Drew ran a 14.2 in his Stealth and we always run right next to each other when we race.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts