Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission is completely shot in my 1992 Stealth TT. 1st to 2nd grinds lightly sometimes and 2nd to 3rd grinds terribly every time. The tranny has over 160,000 miles on it and has a completely stripped output shaft. I was wondering if it is worth my while to upgrade to a 1994+ 6-Speed tranny. I really want a 6-speed and I think it is the route I am probably going to take.

Frank, how much do your 6-speed trannies cost with a hardend output shaft? Also, what else am I going to need to do the conversion other than the tranny? I heard that the transfer case is shorter so I will need a new transfer case and a new propeller shaft. Is there any way to lengthen the propeller shaft without lowing structural integrity? I think I am just going to get a carbon fiber one but I hear there is a hell of a wait.

If anybody has any information on this conversion or any advise, please let me know. I want to to do this conversion right the fisrt time. Not like my engine:rolleyes:

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
This is a great excuss to upgrade, BUT you do have another route. You can crack open your broken tranny and replace all the bad parts. Kormex sells everything you need. I fixed mine for $291. It sounds like yours is worse but I bet it could be done for around $500.

Still, a 6 speed would be nice if you can afford it :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Frank over at Kormex is a very easy guy to deal with, doing a 6 speed conversion will cost you around $4000. If you have the time to fix it yourself, that is my recomendation, and it will save you a lot of money. A Kormex rebuild will cost $1750 +frt, and a $750 core, The parts to rebuild it yourself from Kormex is right at $1000. Right now I am waiting on a warrenty replacement from Kormex, just put it in 3 weeks ago, and it started grinding shifting into second last week. The worst part is that I haven't been hard on this tranny yet(I am sure I will be). Lets put it this way, I hammered on my stock tranny for 8 months, including 8 autocrosses, and some bracket racing. The only reason I had problems with that tranny is because the guy that installed my RPS clutch didn't know how to adjust the clutch, and the first time I drove it I ground hard into second. The stock tranny was never the same after that. I am not mad at Kormex in any way, and they are standing behind there warrenty. Being in the parts business myself I realize that there is a certain percentage of rebuilt part that will be defective, and I just happened to get one of those, but Kormex does stand behind their warrenty, and many members here, have never had a problem with their trannies. I highly recomend Kormex for parts or a complete tranny. Kormex standing behind their warrenty is a big reason for that.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can somebody please offer some advice? I have a 1994 3K SL
non-turbo automatic transmission that hangs when downshifting when cold. The transmission doesn't downshift until the last second, sometimes even when hot, and when it finally does downshift, there is a large thud. Also, when in park, you can push the car 6 or 8 inches in either direction. All of the transmission places are telling me it will be $2500 for a rebuild but I think it just need some adjustment... Something called a servo is what the maintenance manual says but I dont have the tools to measuer it..

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts