Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After talking to many places, I've decided to accept the fact that Tantrums won't fit on my VR4. I did however find these wannabe's

http://www.altwheels.com/productdetail.asp?id=109

The info request form on their page doesn't work, but does anyone know if these will fit a VR4? What Offset do we need on our wheels for them to clear the front calipers?

also, anyone know where I can find some chrome wheels that will fit a VR4? There seems to be a very limited selection of wheels that will clear our front calipers. I remember a while back a nice 99VR4 with sweet aftermarket chrome wheels. It was a white car all hooked up and he had an amazing time on stock turbos....anyone know his screenname?

Thanks, Jason

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Flyers,

What are you talking about?

Tantrums fit fine on our VR4's. Talk to Elektrobeatz. He has 17" tantrums mounted on his car. And if the 17" will fit, then the 18" will also.

I plan on getting a set of 17"s soon. Don't believe the manufacturers. Go with what other members ACTUAL experiences are.

Elton

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Elmo said:
Tantrums fit fine on our VR4's. Talk to Elektrobeatz. He has 17" tantrums mounted on his car. And if the 17" will fit, then the 18" will also.
That would make me happer than a dog with 2 dicks if they'll fit... does the 94 have the SAME calipers and brake setup as the 97?

*edit* spelling

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
flyers1470 said:

That would make me happer than a dog with 2 dicks if they'll fit... does the 94 have the SAME calipers and brake setup as the 97?
All 2nd gen and later brake calipers are the same.

Only 1st gens are slightly different. They have smaller rear calipers and rotors.

So, to answer your train of thought, if a wheel fits on a second gen VR4/TT, then it will fit on ANY 3S.

And, Elektro has a 94 VR4 from what I remember; therefore, Tantrums will fit.

.....and. dude.... I don't even WANNA know what you do with a dog with two dicks that makes you so happy. .....:eek:

:p :p :D J/p dude.

Elton

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good prediction on my train of thought, you are a logical mastermind.... but I thought of one thing. Does Elektrobeatz use spacers? I dont want to use spacers on my car.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
elektrobeatz said:
Yep.... what he said..... :)

They fit,,,,,, or I have some freak of a car..........
The car's not the freak... it's the ow........er... nevermind.

:p:D :p :D :p:D J/k dude. :) you personally made my day the other day when I learned that 17" Tantrums fit on my car straightup. :) I just need money now.... :p

E

·
Registered
612 Posts
Haha. AMKRead has got a point. Konigs are biters. But the prices are reasonable. My brother just picked up a set of 19" Tantrums used for 500 :eek:

·
Registered
612 Posts
If there are so many of you that want them, you guys should try to set up a group buy. I like the way they look on the 3s.:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow those rims are almost exactly what ive been looking for..id like the spokes to be a little thicker but its still awesome and they come in chrome and are only 285 each! thats not bad...thx!

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Elektrobeatz,

Did you just order them and hoped they fit, or did you go somewhere and have them "test fit" on the car so you knew they fit before you bought. Not that I dont trust you, but I'd feel more comfortable if I knew that they would fit 100% before I drop $900 on some wheels. Why would all these dealers be under the impression they don't fit if they do??

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
hmm..it seems no one else really care about putting a 2 ton car on casted wheels as long as it looked good. ;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
flyers1470 said:
Elektrobeatz,

Did you just order them and hoped they fit, or did you go somewhere and have them "test fit" on the car so you knew they fit before you bought. Not that I dont trust you, but I'd feel more comfortable if I knew that they would fit 100% before I drop $900 on some wheels. Why would all these dealers be under the impression they don't fit if they do??
Well, I was as apprehensive that they wouldn't fit as you are now so I went to Discount Tire and they told me it wouldn't fit, but I checked the offsets out and decided that there was no way the wheel wouldn't fit unless the design of the spokes was all funky.......... the rest of the measurements seemed to check out.... Discount Tire did assure me that I could get my money back if the wheels didn't fit, however.......... so I went ahead and ordered them............. and I think they look great, I've gotten tons of compliments already, even though they're just 17"........ If you're scared they won't fit try and find a place that will take the wheels back or at least give you store credit for them just in case they won't fit, but mine seem to fit fine, hope this helps! :D

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/elektrob....view=t&.last=1

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I've solved the "will they fit" mystery.. The VR4's need a 30mm offset. Elektrobeat's 17" tantrums have a 35mm offset, so they fit, but just barely. If I were to step up to an 18", the offset increases to 40mm and that definately will not clear the calipers. So the theory "If 17's fit, and 18's are bigger than 17's, then the 18's must fit too" is incorrect.

There is a shop near me called Mr. Auto that says they can get 18x8 Tantrums with a 30mm offset. They will let me dry fit them on my car (put them on without mounting the tire) and if they don't fit I dont have to pay. The problem is they want 286 a wheel (for a total of $1208.19)

Think I'm taking it in the butt with that deal?

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
flyers1470 said:
I think I've solved the "will they fit" mystery.. The VR4's need a 30mm offset. Elektrobeat's 17" tantrums have a 35mm offset, so they fit, but just barely. If I were to step up to an 18", the offset increases to 40mm and that definately will not clear the calipers. So the theory "If 17's fit, and 18's are bigger than 17's, then the 18's must fit too" is incorrect.

There is a shop near me called Mr. Auto that says they can get 18x8 Tantrums with a 30mm offset. They will let me dry fit them on my car (put them on without mounting the tire) and if they don't fit I dont have to pay. The problem is they want 286 a wheel (for a total of $1208.19)

Think I'm taking it in the butt with that deal?
ehh??

where did you get the idea that the VR4's need 30mm?? Everywhere I read says that they are 46MM stock.

:confused:

ok, and so, you have 35mm Offset Elektro? Maybe that's why they clear the calipers so well. An additional 11mm outwards is almost a half inch of added clearance to the caliper.

Hmmm..... very confused now... :confused:

Elton

1 - 20 of 51 Posts