Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower would I gain on my 94 3000GT Base if I invested in a Knight Supercharger kit? I'm thinking if I can't find the right car for the right price this summer then i would Supercharge my car.

Luke

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
About 75HP @ the crank... according to a thread I read this morning about this you'd be very close to a stock VR4 in wheel horsepower with the SC... but several hundred pounds lighter :)

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
GO FOR IT !!!!
hehe, I have been waiting to make enough money to put one of these suckers on my car. I personally talked to knight about it, like Mutilator said, ~75hp gains, that is on a completely stock systsem, Brian told me that if I put a nice exhaust system I could be looking at some serious horsepower. The kit comes with just about everything you would need to get it running, but talk to Super C, he has some recomendations for other parts that I think you should most definitely get

4,448 Posts
i'd go with the more expensive AAM turbo kit i think... they made 310 HP to the wheels at only 5 psi (because of the stock fuel system). altho this kit cost more, i think that it would be the better deal...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree. I would go with the Turbo kit over the SuperCharge, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So would a stock Stealth RT be faster than a twin turbo(stock) if it got a supercharger if a base with a supercharger is almost as fast as a turbo model?:confused:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not really. I think your 1/4 mile times would show that. Even on the street, a VR4 has one thing a N/A doesn't have and that's AWD which helps when street racing. Maybe you will win from a 100mph roll :D

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Yeah, ask anyone who has done a tt conversion or sc conversion, they all say that they would be a lot faster if they didn't turn the tires so much
I would have to say that the reason I am getting super of a turbo is that, as far as I have seen ( correct me if I am wrong), all of the turbo setups for our cars require quite a bit of fabrication and modification. Which either results in more costs for labor, or more time on your part, both of which I don't have. The super however, is supposed to be fairly easy to put in.
Don't get me wrong, if I had the time, I would go with turbos, but my car is my daily driver.
I do plan on collecting all the turbo parts and fitting them on my spair '91 engine while I am driving my car every day.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
With the SC or TT kit you would probably beat stock VR4s/TTs from a roll... but unless you got your traction under control you wouldn't beat them from a stop. I'm not saying it won't happen, hell it probably will one day (especially if I get rich quick ;)) but it will take some $$ to hang with modded VR4s. Ofcourse then you'll have a buncha pissed off ppl on the board ;)
"I spent $20,000 to have this punk in a base GT spend $25,000 and kick my ass!"
Buwahah :D

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Tune, tune, tune...

Make sure you tune afterwards. I'm faster than a BPU SL, but could be even faster if I tuned my setup properly. Too bad Apex'i doesn't include the SOHC in their manual or I would have dyno tuned a long time ago. Just get a hard pipe kit with the setup and you should be fine. As for the SC vs TT setup, AA pushed 310 on an SL that was properly tuned(about what you'd get with the SC with exhaust, intake, etc). It just depends on when you want your power. Turbos need to spool. Blowers don't. Also, the S/C kit costs 3k less. Personally, I LOVE the way my supercharger sounds like an F-15 fighter jet flying down the freeway. Seems to intimidate the local rice though. :(

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: Tune, tune, tune...

Super C said:
I'm faster than a BPU SL.

Personally, I LOVE the way my supercharger sounds like an F-15 fighter jet flying down the freeway. Seems to intimidate the local rice though. :(
NICE!!!;)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Blower

Super C,
I will have to comment on that blower of yours, it sounds pretty mean. But it sounds more like an F-14 :D So what are you and Eric up to? I am down in Englewood, I got my car back but it is still having alot of trouble. I just had bearings put in but i didn't grind the crank, and now i think it's coming back to bite me. Its making mad bearing noise.:( Later man,
Rich

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
"supercharger from knight turbos. runs 4000 bucks for the shitty one.. and 5500 with all the goodies and the blower that can push 11 (i think) psi"

s this True??? If so I do not see this being the best mod for the money. Why not just buy a TT engine for about 4k and run 15psi, then spend the other 1500 to mod that engine. You'll be getting more HP, not to mention the TT engine can handle the Turbo's. No one has had the supercharger on there car for more then 30k miles have they? We don't even know what kind of strain or long term effects this SC is putting on the N/A engine. I do not see this being a good mod for the money. 5k is allot, plus you may have to invest another 5k on an engine rebuild. Personally I would not do it, or even consider. I would however do the VR4 engine. Someone thinking about doing this should really think about it, and think about other options. I still think the VR4 engine swap is the best way to go.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
"supercharger from knight turbos. runs 4000 bucks for the shitty one.. and 5500 with all the goodies and the blower that can push 11 (i think) psi"
I prefer the term "entry level" thank you. :mad: And the powerdyne is good to 13 psi . ;) It's your choice what you want to do. I've seen the tt swaps and they look great. It's just a matter of personal preference. I happen to really like my setup and wouldn't trade it for the tt despite the fact that it would go faster (that sound is addicting). Yes, you would end up rebuilding your engine if you got the powerdyne and ran FULL BOOST. It's not really putting any strain on the engine if you run safe levels of boost. I plan on rebuilding mine to handle that (or more) boost anyways, so it's not a concern for me. You are correct that no one has had it on their cars for more than 30 thousand miles, but there is a slew of other people that have. Mustangs. ;) I don't believe they have any problems on theirs and some have the blowers on their cars for their etire lifespan. Mine is more of a hobby than anything. I just like proving people wrong. And there's no such thing as a mod that's good for the money, else they would have come like that stock from the factory. :cool:

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Hey Rich! Glad you got your car back! We're not up to too much around here, just hanging out. Eric got his car back and we've been toying with it for the past few days. I drove that thing, and all I have to say is.....I'm gona need more boost to keep up with him. :p Is Englewood in Florida? I'm STILL not familiar with the state yet. :D Sucks about the bearings. I just found out my throwout bearing is going. Oh well. At least it's an excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Hey Rich! Glad you got your car back! We're not up to too much around here, just hanging out. Eric got his car back and we've been toying with it for the past few days. I drove that thing, and all I have to say is.....I'm gona need more boost to keep up with him. Is Englewood in Florida? I'm STILL not familiar with the state yet. Sucks about the bearings. I just found out my throwout bearing is going. Oh well. At least it's an excuse to upgrade.
He let you drive his car??? Not fair at all man. :p lol, how much boost are you running w/ your sc? I thought it was like 5 or so isn't it? Englewood is in Florida, I am going back to Orlando tonight, but without my car :( *Sniff* *Sniff* I think I need to buy a new crank. Well, second job, here I come. Yeah, my throwout bearing has been going too. They last a long time before they go. I bought my car w/ the throwout bearing making noise, and I still can drive it. Gets kinda annoying w/ the scratching sounds. So what's this deal going on Saturday? You having some party? Is it your birthday?? J/k! Ight, talk to you later man,
Richie

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I did not refer to it as the "shitty one" :D Sorry Super C. I copied that from another post. I wish you luck with the supercharger. I am sure it sounds great, and it's performance gains are high.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, just with the money you guys are talkin about, heck, I might as well just sell my car this summer since it already has 106k miles on it, and go VR-4 or just get a sweet ass lookin MKIV Supra and mess around with that. Maybe if I was rich, I would redo my whole tranny, supercharge my engine, and everything else that's stock mod it, and then buy a Supra TT or a Trans Am Ram Air for the straights :) but I'm not a rich boy, I'm just a hard working guy who works his ass off for something he wants. Well thanks for the info guys.

Luke

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Hee hee. He likes to "pimp out" the missle. :D Yeah, I'm only running 5psi. I want mine as a daily driver still. I'll be upgrading to a bigger blower next year, maybe running upwards of 25psi:eek: but it's still up in the air. I need to redo my bottom end first. We're having a get together/mini-meet at my place Saturday. You're more than welcome to stop by. We're grilling out, but it's byob. :p I think there's a link in the gathering section. Let me know if you want to come. I'll get you directions.

Het Shawn, no big deal. Didn't mean to snap at you. I'm still on medication from removing my wisdom teeth (mmm....oxycodine:) ) Still want to have the fastest SOHC though. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts