Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done front kickpanels? I'm trying to figure out how to fit three-way component speakers up front, a 6.5, a 4, and a tweeter. Wondering how well it will work in a manual tranny. Not a whole lot of room over on the driver's side...

=-=andrewo

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've seen Eric's stereo in person, at the East Coast Gatherings... I was thinking of kickpanels that attached at the kickpanel itself, instead of the door. Something like where the dead pedal is (and the inverse on the passenger side.)

=-=andrewo

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Thanks for the plug and compliments guys :)

The catch-22 with kickpanels lower down is that the footwells are already fairly narrow, and giving up another even 4 inches would make it rather tight in there, particularly for the driver as you would probably have to sacrifice the "4th pedal" where your clutch foot rests. Recessing into the panels is a little difficult as there are computers and wiring harnesses behind both sides - hell the internal fuse/distrubution is right down there on the driver side... I'm not saying it can't be done, it would take some good design and build work to get it in there, have it look nice, and not get in the way of the footsies. That (and the unique factor) was why I made them part of the doors.

EricB

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
I did it in my PGT. You just get used to keeping your foot near the clutch instead of on the dead pedal. Easier if you have an auto. :D

Images nicely, but stage is kind of low. I actually prefer the stock locations in the Stealth over fiberglass pods. Go figure. I don't know why, but the stock locations in the 3/s cars work really well. Don't know if it's blind luck or they actually designed it that way...

Ted

·
poser
2,611 Posts
The dash on the 3s is too deep, large, and irregular to get true hifi sound. Kicks can work with thin drivers, or simply a competent job of recessing/molding. I think my install will require a new dash entirely,either for kicks, horns, or in dash pods. A\8 or 10 inch drivers upfront will be essential, however. I'm am considering putting 10s in the kicks...

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
10s in the kicks? I hope this won't be in your daily driver! The airspace required for each kick alone will be at least 0.5 ft^2 I'd imagine, if not more. I have a dynaudio system 220 in fiberglass pods in my PGT (5.75" woofer) and they pretty much use up all available room. The Stealth doesn't really have more room than the Probe down there...

You could do what David Wall did in his Neon (2nd place IASCA sound-q 1997, 96?). He cut into the floor of the car itself to get more airspace. Even then, he still only went with 8's I believe.

Horns are nice but tempermental. They don't sound "musical" enough to me, and I spent tons of time trying to tweak my old Waveguide setup...

Personally, If I were to ever try the IASCA thing again I'd go with a Dynaudio system 340 (woofer in door, mid+tweet in kickpods) with updated MD130 tweeter, fully active powered by something like some Brax amps. I'd also keep everything fiber all the way to the amps then use an Alchemy 24bit B.B. outboard DAC setup to feed the amps. :)

Ted

·
poser
2,611 Posts
The wonder of AP, my friend. 10s in the kicks aren't really that difficult to achieve, really. Cutting into the floor pretty much goes without saying unless you're content with serious kick protrusion. I'd more likely put something that large in the door or dash, however.

Well, older Waveguides weren't exactly the most mannered speaker. I'd consider Illusion or the new USD.

Ah, Brax. I've used it in my car...doesn't get any better, despite all amps sounding the same :)....nope!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts