Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got my components picked out and now I'm going for the HU. I want an MP3 Head Unit because I have tons and tons of MP3's. Anyone have this unit or could recommend a better one? Maximum PC magazine rated this player as being good, but "real world" experiences account for a lot too! ;) Thanks

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
neo 35 hard drive based unit. $250. i run a 60gb in mine, and have about 3500 songs on it. (not even filling half the drive). it's a must for the lazy ass who doesn't want to *ever* deal with cds again.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
I've had my kenwood for a month or so and LOVE IT. I'm just powering my stock speakers but it's much more powerful than the stock system...

I really like the ID3 tag capability... but found that when I'm ripping songs and MP3 encoding them, I get too lazy to type in the ID3 information... I have found that most music I've downloaded already has the ID3 stuff on it.

But mostly I like that with 3 discs in my car, I have 43 CDs worth of music!

I've also found that any bitrate MP3 works... just for kicks I encoded a 32kbps file and it played (sounded like crap but it played). Point being is that if you go down to 96kbps there's not much quality difference (espeically in a basic car system) and you get 33% more songs on a disc. That's like 20 CDs worth of music on one disc. OR the other way around, if you are really concerned about quality, the Kenwood will play 256kbps mp3s and nobody will ever know it's an mp3 compared to a .wav file.

The player has NEVER skipped and we have some wicked railroad crossings here... one is very old with 8 tracks (16 huge bumps), I went over it at around 40 mph and nearly cracked my head on the roof of the car... but the CD didn't skip.

As you've probably seen in the reviews, it's abit of a pain to find folders and songs.... what's weird is to switch folders you push the AM or FM buttons.. it just seems like there'd be a label for that or something.

The only other bummer is something that is a problem with ALL MP3 players, and that's that the file information/ID3 tags are read AFTER the music starts... so let's say you are trying to find a song, it would be nice if the title or track number or folder name showed up BEFORE the music started... but it doesn't work that way (again, that's with ALL mp3 players, the file format has the file information at the END of the file).

Also as with all Mp3 players it takes a bit longer to seek to the next song... if you skip to the next song it's usually around 2 seconds... with a regular CD player it's more like half a second.

Other minor annoyances, when "Seeking", the time doesn't show. The instructions says it should but I haven't figured out how to show it. Also (as with all MP3 players) if you have a "mix disc", like a beatmix disc that has multiple tracks but there's no space between the songs... the MP3 player still has that 2 second delay between songs. Now if you play a regular CD mix-cd there is NOT a delay. It's only an issue with MP3's.

Minor: random play only plays in that folder. It would be nice if it would random play across the whole disc. The way to fix that is to make the disc with no folders... of course then when you want to find a certain CD (I put different CDs into different folders) it's harder. So what I did was make 6 total CDs. 3 of them are folder-indexed and the other 3 have the same music but are all in one big folder. I find myself using the non-folder one most often, and just random playing. I get around 13 hours of music before they start repeating!

Over all I Love the Kenwood. The only other ones I wish I had was the AutoPC (expensive but has a TON of other features) or the Neo unit that omnip mentioned. For the price, though, the Kenwood is the best.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
omnip_1 said:
neo 35 hard drive based unit. $250. i run a 60gb in mine, and have about 3500 songs on it. (not even filling half the drive). it's a must for the lazy ass who doesn't want to *ever* deal with cds again.
Please post a link where I can find this and check it out.......;)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JeremyG said:
I've had my kenwood for a month or so and LOVE IT. I'm just powering my stock speakers but it's much more powerful than the stock system...

I really like the ID3 tag capability... but found that when I'm ripping songs and MP3 encoding them, I get too lazy to type in the ID3 information... I have found that most music I've downloaded already has the ID3 stuff on it.

But mostly I like that with 3 discs in my car, I have 43 CDs worth of music!

I've also found that any bitrate MP3 works... just for kicks I encoded a 32kbps file and it played (sounded like crap but it played). Point being is that if you go down to 96kbps there's not much quality difference (espeically in a basic car system) and you get 33% more songs on a disc. That's like 20 CDs worth of music on one disc. OR the other way around, if you are really concerned about quality, the Kenwood will play 256kbps mp3s and nobody will ever know it's an mp3 compared to a .wav file.

The player has NEVER skipped and we have some wicked railroad crossings here... one is very old with 8 tracks (16 huge bumps), I went over it at around 40 mph and nearly cracked my head on the roof of the car... but the CD didn't skip.

As you've probably seen in the reviews, it's abit of a pain to find folders and songs.... what's weird is to switch folders you push the AM or FM buttons.. it just seems like there'd be a label for that or something.

The only other bummer is something that is a problem with ALL MP3 players, and that's that the file information/ID3 tags are read AFTER the music starts... so let's say you are trying to find a song, it would be nice if the title or track number or folder name showed up BEFORE the music started... but it doesn't work that way (again, that's with ALL mp3 players, the file format has the file information at the END of the file).

Also as with all Mp3 players it takes a bit longer to seek to the next song... if you skip to the next song it's usually around 2 seconds... with a regular CD player it's more like half a second.

Other minor annoyances, when "Seeking", the time doesn't show. The instructions says it should but I haven't figured out how to show it. Also (as with all MP3 players) if you have a "mix disc", like a beatmix disc that has multiple tracks but there's no space between the songs... the MP3 player still has that 2 second delay between songs. Now if you play a regular CD mix-cd there is NOT a delay. It's only an issue with MP3's.

Minor: random play only plays in that folder. It would be nice if it would random play across the whole disc. The way to fix that is to make the disc with no folders... of course then when you want to find a certain CD (I put different CDs into different folders) it's harder. So what I did was make 6 total CDs. 3 of them are folder-indexed and the other 3 have the same music but are all in one big folder. I find myself using the non-folder one most often, and just random playing. I get around 13 hours of music before they start repeating!

Over all I Love the Kenwood. The only other ones I wish I had was the AutoPC (expensive but has a TON of other features) or the Neo unit that omnip mentioned. For the price, though, the Kenwood is the best.
WOW!;) Lots of nice info! Thanks a bunch......:D

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
I have the Kenwood. I went with it over the NEO only so I could play a normal cd if I wanted... But I find I never want to.. so If I had the choice to make over agin... I would get the NEO... ESPECIALLY if you already have a cd player... I didn't

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I would go with the Kenwood over the Sony if I had to do it over again. But from what I saw it looked like a really good unit. But if you want to see mine just remind me when you come to Louisville and although my soundsystem isn't the greatest its definetly better than stock.

-Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts