Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kenwood DNX-5140/6140 DVD/Navigation Install for Dummies

I just finished installing the Kenwood DNX-5140 in my ’95 VR4 (with factory amp and disc changer). The purpose of this walkthrough is to provide you with the information you need to perform the install yourself, and to address some of the questions you may have along the way. Some of the information may seem like basic knowledge. I wanted to “dumb down” the process as much as possible, so that someone with little to no car audio knowledge is able to follow along. I am by no means a car audio expert; in fact, this was my first time installing an aftermarket head unit. If I can do it, so can you!

Note: This walkthrough is for installing the aftermarket head unit using the factory amp. For instructions on bypassing the factory amp, or installing an aftermarket amp, please see additional forum topics, or consult the 3/S Audio FAQ (www.3saudiofaq.com). Also- this walkthrough does not contain instructions on how to install the GPS antenna or any of the other optional accessories (e.g. iPod adapter, Bluetooth adapter, steering wheel control adapter). For questions on how to install the iPod adapter or steering wheel control adapter, feel free to PM me; I have both installed.

I’ll start by addressing some of the questions I had prior to the install:

Q: Will the DNX-5140 fit in the factory stereo opening? Will I need a dash kit?
A: The head unit fits perfectly into the factory double-DIN opening, using the stock trim ring, in conjunction with the black trim ring that Kenwood supplies. No dash kit is needed; the unit bolts up to the frame of the car using the same metal brackets attached to the stock head unit.

Q: What wiring harness(es) do I need to buy?
A: Kenwood supplies a wiring harness; however, you’ll need to purchase an additional harness, designed specifically for the Stealth/3000GT, that serves as an interface between the Kenwood harness and the factory harness on your car. I used the Metra 70-7004 (see below).

Q: Will I be able to use the steering wheel audio controls with the DNX-5140?
A: Yes, with the appropriate adapter (PAC SWI-JACK).

I want to stress the importance of using the correct wiring harness. The correct harness is the Metra 70-7003 / 70-7004 (I believe the 7003 and 7004 are identical). (See attached image #1.)

Now for the install. . .

Step 1: Connecting the Metra wiring harness to the supplied Kenwood harness

1.) Connect the RED, YELLOW, BLUE, and ORANGE wires on the Metra harness to the corresponding RED, YELLOW, BLUE, and ORANGE wires on the Kenwood harness, using 18-22 gauge butt splice connectors (see attached image #2). I know this may sound intimidating to someone with no electrical experience, but trust me, it’s simple; it will take you 10 minutes. I found this article helpful: www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.

You’ll note, there are several different ways to splice wires together. I was tempted to use wire nuts at first, but decided to use butt splice connectors instead, since they’re more secure. It seemed like a nice compromise between twisting the bare wires together and busting out the soldering iron. I picked up a pack of butt splice connectors and a wire stripping/crimping tool at Home Depot for under $10.

2.) Connect the BLUE & WHITE wire on the Metra amp adapter (the piece with the round connection and 4 A/V outputs) to the corresponding BLUE & WHITE wire on the Kenwood harness (see attached image #2).

3.) Connect the LIGHT GREEN parking brake wire on the Kenwood harness to the BLACK, ground wire on the Kenwood harness, using a spade connector (see attached image #3). I recommend trimming the parking brake wire first, to take up some of the excess length.

Note: By doing this, you are bypassing the built-in safety feature that prohibits DVD playback while the car is in motion. Playing a DVD while driving is illegal, and you will get a ticket if caught. Be smart.

4.) After connecting the Metra harness to the Kenwood harness, you will have several unused wires. I recommend trimming these wires and bundling them together. If you’re not going to be installing the rear-view camera accessory, I recommend trimming this wire as well (the PURPLE one). Make sure all connections are secure and that no bare wire is exposed.

5.) Plug the Kenwood harness into the back of the unit, and connect the 4 A/V outputs (see attached image #4).

Step 2: Removing the factory head unit

1.) Turn the car off and disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2.) Pry off the stock trim ring using a flathead screwdriver (I found the bottom right corner works well). The ring is attached by 2 clips on the top; it should pop off easily.

3.) Remove the 4 screws connecting the stock head unit to the frame of the car; set them aside. Pull the head unit out far enough to reach the connections in the back.

4.) Disconnect the factory wiring harness and steering wheel control plug (rectangular, 4-pin).

5.) Disconnect the factory amp plug and factory disc changer plug (see attached image #5).

6.) Disconnect the 2 antenna plugs (see attached image #6). Give them a good yank.

7.) Carefully remove the factory head unit and set aside.

Step 3: Installing the Kenwood head unit

1.) Remove the 2 metal brackets connected to the sides of the factory head unit (being careful not to strip the screws—they’re on tight). Attach them to the Kenwood unit using 3 screws on each side.

After disconnecting the stock head unit, you should have 6 loose connections: the stock wiring harness, 2 antenna plugs, the disc changer plug, the factory amp plug, and the steering wheel controls plug. You’ll be connecting three of these to the new head unit. (Note: You can perform steps 2-5 in any order you like.)

2.) Connect the factory wiring harness to the Metra harness.

3.) Connect the factory amp plug to the round, Metra amp adapter.

4.) Connect the main antenna plug (the larger of the 2, with the black wire) to the antenna connection on the back of the head unit.

5.) Attach the ground wire and parking brake wire to one of the 6 screws on the sides of the head unit , using the spade connector.

6.) Carefully place the head unit into position, tucking the cables/wires away behind the dash. Secure the unit to the car frame using the 4 screws you removed earlier.

7.) Snap the stock trim ring back into place, followed by the Kenwood trim ring.

8.) Reconnect your negative battery and turn on the accessory switch.

With the proper tools and wiring harness, you should be able to perform the install in under an hour. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions- and good luck with the install! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i will be following this soon. thank yo uso much.

·
Registered
295 Posts
so the factory changer actually works with this?

*quick thread hijack... what bulbs do you have for your tail lights to be that bright*

·
JNS Engineering
2,502 Posts
so the factory changer actually works with this?

*quick thread hijack... what bulbs do you have for your tail lights to be that bright*
No the factory CD changer is left unconnected. It does use the factory amplifier and speakers though. You can hookup a USB drive or iPod (needs a cable) so a CD changer isn't really required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts