Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Just make sure and do a good website like the guy with the 222hp stereo. And have a catchy name like that too. Keep us posted, and good luck.

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tsk tsk Hans, don't mislead the folks into thinking you know what the audio will entail. I retain some secrets ;)

Incidentally, just got some additional info on a product I'll be using. Un-frikkin-real.

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
I myself am very very quiet, about what my stereo entails.. You guys will see.....;) ;) :D :D :)

Oh yeah, i work for an Alpine dealer..

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I would like to see a shootout for sound in a 3SI. Personally, i been into it for years, and think i have the best sounding system i ever had.

I currently have:

1. Clarion vrx610 multimedia with 4 volt output and total digital sound control...1/3 octave eq

2. Eclipse amp/or maybe the Mcintosh

3. Focal 3 ways. And OMG. I have never heard a better front stage in a shitty little car like this. Hey Mobil..Get this. They sound WAY better with the xovers from the Mb Quarts than with the Focal xovers. Weird huh? It seems that the Focal xovers would cause the midbass to bottom out..Any idears on that one? I have a few..It might be because the MB's allow me to have two inputs per channel. Whereas, the Focals only allow the standard one.

My main challenge right now is to design a sealed pod for the left 7" mid bass. Its a bitch. Me thinks that the Image dynamic horn loaded compression driver/mid bass combo may have been a better setup. But i was told that they are a bitch to tune.

I used to have 6 Jl's in a 9.47 cubic foot box in my tahoe. What a waste. Im going for sound Q now. (im getting old).

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
I've been in some rides that massage your back when you put in a bass CD. Is that what you're shooting for?

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whatever: Bass is easy. SQ and install are key.

Cksport- I too am being secretive. But as we're listing professions, I'm an editor with Mobile Entertainment magazine, the former Car Stereo Review.

pokey- different crossovers mean of course different crossover points. The Focals may be responding better to the biwire setup, as you mention. It has always been my experience that a midbass deserves and performs best with a dedicated amp channel, and clear of power-robbing passive crossovers. In any event, that's a tonal and dynamic set of drivers, very nice sound right out of the box.

Horns could very well be a good solution given the terrible dash we're forced to work with. Horns are not necessarily more difficult to tune but often prove superfluous in a properly arranged front stage. They usually need to be bolstered with a midrange and tweeter, which sort of defeats their purpose. But they can be done right. Also, look into an aperiodic membrane/enclosure for your midbasses to conserve space.

I'll be happy to enter any stereo comp once this is finished. I fear that too few people will be well versed enough in the IASCA-type criteria to appraise it accurately, but I have some good plans to arrive at remarkable sound. I've always been in SQ first and foremost, and this car will be a definitive statement in this direction for the 3s world.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
I've been in some rides that massage your back when you put in a bass CD. Is that what you're shooting for?
Not me. The object is to recreate the sound as intended by the artist. With the application of bass, i try to make it appear that the bass signal is coming from the front. Very difficult objective to meet. The rolling over my head affect, is the last thing i want.

The best install i have ever seen was 2 10" woofers mounted in the floor of i think a ford excursion. they had funnel type enclosures that went to tubes that went to boxes underneath the truck!!!

It was built for the famed Alma Gates crew at Soundwerks here in arizona. I believe that it won too.

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pokey,
That's probably the work of my good friend Chad Peterson. Excellent gent and talented installer. Saw him last weekend.

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
As far as speakers, it's all in the cross-overs.

Best install I've ever heard was owned and built by my old friend todd, who worked for Vance Dickenson (if you don't know who that is, then you have no business talking audio). I mostly watched it's progress over a couple years:

ALL cross-overs were custom designed from the MOUNTED speaker driver locations. All measurements being taken from the drivers seat headrest. The mid/highs were passive x/o'd w/ 60, 90, 120 degree optimization using MLSSA and LMS measurements. The woofer used an active x/o designed with some active filter software made by the same company that produces LEAP.

Woofer: Skaaning 8" mounted in kick pods, optimized off-axis response, 6db gain @ 18hz, active cross-over.

High: Scanspeak 2905/9900 revelator - stripped face piece, mounted in the dash, optimized for 180 degree reflection, passive, 2.8khz x/o, +/- 2db

Cabasse DOM?? 5" Inverted Ceramic Transducer - Ton of work getting this thing flat off axis. Went through like 4 x/o's before it was perfect.

I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the system, but the head-unit was a modified Audio Alchemy pre/dac, and the amp was some custom thing he built up. Oh yah, the car was a POS. He didn't even need an alarm, NO ONE would break into that thing. :)

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Todd who?

I believe it's Vance Dickason.

Sounds like a nice system. Good choices of course on the gear, though the ScanSpeak tweeter has never been so much to my liking. Too technical and clinical, almost sterile. This is hardly a criticism, just a personal impresssion. I am more a fan of dynamics and tonality than vacant precision, though I acknowledge that the system mentioned sounds incredible.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Crossovers

Omnip-1:

I cant agree with you that crossovers make the speakers. I have done alot of work with many different high-end sound-Q installs, and while the crossover is indeed a crucial part of any system. There has to be more there. The cone material of the woofer the positioning of the tweeters. The entire make up of the given set of speakers. You cant just have a great set of crossovers.

Alpine,

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
mobilebeatz said:
whatever: Bass is easy. SQ and install are key.

Cksport- I too am being secretive. But as we're listing professions, I'm an editor with Mobile Entertainment magazine, the former Car Stereo Review.

pokey- different crossovers mean of course different crossover points. The Focals may be responding better to the biwire setup, as you mention. It has always been my experience that a midbass deserves and performs best with a dedicated amp channel, and clear of power-robbing passive crossovers. In any event, that's a tonal and dynamic set of drivers, very nice sound right out of the box.

Horns could very well be a good solution given the terrible dash we're forced to work with. Horns are not necessarily more difficult to tune but often prove superfluous in a properly arranged front stage. They usually need to be bolstered with a midrange and tweeter, which sort of defeats their purpose. But they can be done right. Also, look into an aperiodic membrane/enclosure for your midbasses to conserve space.

I'll be happy to enter any stereo comp once this is finished. I fear that too few people will be well versed enough in the IASCA-type criteria to appraise it accurately, but I have some good plans to arrive at remarkable sound. I've always been in SQ first and foremost, and this car will be a definitive statement in this direction for the 3s world.

PLEASE what ever quit talkin like you know so much. I am M.E.C.P. certified first class, work at a place callled Ultimate Electronics and you haven't the slightest clue as to what you are saying. You obviously just read that out of a mobile entertainment mag.

JUST KIDDIN Bro!:D

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
Mobilebeatz, I hope you do create a great IASCA sound competition setup in your car. I really do. I would hate to see you talk alot and do nothing..I am expecting good things from you. Because you hyped it up. Just being honest with you.

·
I love the 1st gens..
2,282 Posts
Oh, by the way, mine is already about 80% totally completed..Well we never are really finished, are we?

I also now have XM Satellite radio in my car. Although, i still hear slight differences between CD and XM, i think that XM is one of the greatest things for car stereo since the introduction of a cd player in a car.

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
mobile, are you nuts? :) the revelator is one of the finest tweeters ever made [if implemented properly - it has no ferofluid so it's a bitch!] You will find it a great deal of the 100k+ high-end speakers. And don't go there if you are an esotar/esotec fan. However do go there if like the RAVEN R3. :) I personally run the 9900 in a set of speakers, and I would LOVE to give you a demo sometime to show you how UNSTERILE they are. :) [However, I have to admit, I've heard them sound like shit due to bad cross-overs!]

alpine, have you ever designed with a full measurement + optimization system like leap, lms, mlssa, etc? if not, (and I've never met a car audio installer who has or even knows what those are - but this could be a first!) how are you to even guess at a cross-overs signifigance until you've witnessed the functionality and power of of such tools! you are almost completely limited without it! I have heard systems consisting of simple peerless drivers amounting to $250 + construction materials EASILY comparing to speakers of $2K-$3k with superior drivers! Difference? Take a guess.

cone material - only signfigant to it's characteristic resonances, easily removed or reduced with cross-overs.

alignment/positioning - true, we all know it's signifigance, but a great deal of it's importance can be overcome with proper phase, and time alignment in cross-overs.

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Cksport, my intent was not to put my name or credibility on the line. I simply made a joking thread to those who know me on the board and you hopped aboard with your own bragadoccio, and casually --albeit pretentiously-- mentioned your profession. I was forced to respond in kind. Not my finest moment, but I was displeased at your tone.

Don't worry about my not following through. I could divulge more, but that'd simply ruin the surprise. In hindsight I should've have said a word to begin with, but it's hard to remain calm and discreet with exciting things happening.

My car will not be competing in any SQ competition, so let that rumor be erased straightaway.

I apologize for this forwardness,it's completely out of character for me. Just needed to set a few things straight. My car is not intended to be a paradigm of 3/S SQ because I haven't the time and I have too many other endeavors. It'll be something to behold, however.

I am pleased to see other audiophiles on this board and my hope is that someone completely blows away what I'll be doing in pursuit of taming that nasty cabin.

Kudos to omni for his good taste and obvious knowledge. I do agree about the paramount importance of crossover materials, construction, and points.

I don't pretend to be a technician, just someone with a strong background in the 12v world and with much time spent in many good cars.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts