Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed engine bay on my friend's prelude. I used degreaser and sprayed all over the engine area. (I turned engine on before I sprayed) And then I washed off with water spray hose.
One question, I saw smoke is coming from engine after I sprayed degreaser and water. Is it normal? (Well, the car is running same as usual)
I'm going to try on my car but bit scared.
Can you guys give me instructions on how to clean properly?

Thanx

·
your mom
303 Posts
Also, be forewarned that engine degreaser will typically leave a smell of sorts all around your car after driving it for a day or two... nothing uncommon.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Actually, you DO want to do it while the engine's warm. It even says that on the instructions of many degreasers. It dissolves the grease easier when it's warm, and you're less likely to have standing water if the engine is already warm.

Here's my thoughts: you don't need degreaser! Most of the stuff under the hood is just dirt, and the little bit of grease you encounter can be cleaned with regular car wash soap. I use a bucket of water with car wash soap, and a couple of different brushes. After that, I change the bucket to fresh water and go over the engine bay again. That's it. No spraying involved.

Before you clean the engine, spray a little bit of WD-40 or generic lubricant on all wiring harnesses, connections, and bolts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Protect electronics

The porshe website has good directions for cleaning an engine. The recommend removing the ciol wire so you do not start the car until you remove all the plastic bags.

Put bags over all electronic components. Spray water on a warm engine not a hot engine and wash the car real good right after. You have sprayed grease all over the finish of the car.

I can find the full write if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
When I degrease my Harley engine, I do it on a hot engine, and I use hot water.

Granted, it's a pain in the ass trotting in to the kitchen for a kettle full of water ten times a minute, but it's better than cracking the heads.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Andrew---I use a 5 gallon bucket, and I fill it with hot water in the bath tub. It only takes 2 trips, one for the soapy water and one for the clean water.

I never wash my motorcycle. I just wax it once a week or so.

abax44---Yes, I do. My fight last week was stopped by the ref, so I didn't get the $30, but I'm still eligible for the finals because it wasn't a KO or TKO, it was just a sissy ref that didn't like to see me get hit repeately. I haven't trained all week. I felt like shit because one of my wisdom teeth was trippin' on me.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Be careful if you use any of those degreasers full strength. I used one of them (forget what brand) one time on one of my old Stealths and it took I the outer coating off of the intake manifold in some spots. Especially when you use the pressure washer too. It shines real nice though if you want to take forever to strip the whole thing down. :)
later,

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, I love you guys:D :D
WICKEDDREW's way sounds safer to me.
My engine bay is getting dirty recently. And there are tons of
tree leaf.
Thank you people for help
:)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wickeddrew,
maybe you'll get your tooth knocked out and then you won't have anymore trouble with it. J/K

Good luck, pound him good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts