Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 3.5 sawp
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drove to work the other morning and then can't start the car to go home

Never thought I'd find a broken housing on the belt tensioner!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hopefully that is the only thing that broke. I have never seen that happen. Everyone talks about them failing, but I have never seen one that came apart.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,066 Posts
drove to work the other morning and then can't start the car to go home
o_O....WOW…. That didn’t just happen on your way to work, it had to be pounding for a long time. You certainly got maximum mileage out of that one:rolleyes:, like KnockingStealth indicated I hope you didn’t get the valves when belt finally jumped.

·
Registered
1994 3.5 sawp
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OMG a failed tensioner can sounds like a rod knock!

I have thought for 2 years now that my motor was bad and slowly getting worse, so I stopped driving the car completely to not ruin the block.
But recently it became my only car and I had to drive it

12 at night after being put back together hit the key and he poured like a kitten actually forgot how good it sounded!

So in a since the way the chatter sound reverberates up the timing belt front cover plate into the intake valley. Bouncing up to sound like a bad knock where you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from top end or bottom end when it actually coming from the side

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
OMG a failed tensioner can sounds like a rod knock!

I have thought for 2 years now that my motor was bad and slowly getting worse, so I stopped driving the car completely to not ruin the block.
But recently it became my only car and I had to drive it

12 at night after being put back together hit the key and he poured like a kitten actually forgot how good it sounded!

So in a since the way the chatter sound reverberates up the timing belt front cover plate into the intake valley. Bouncing up to sound like a bad knock where you can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from top end or bottom end when it actually coming from the side
So, you replaced your timing belt and obviously the tensioner and it sounds good? I am amazed. Go play the lottery.

·
Registered
1994 3.5 sawp
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I wish I I know that was a symptoms of a bad tensioner I would have torn it apart a long time ago!

Along with getting away with no bent valves, I do yes I did more then luck out on this whole deal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts