This is the cost of rebuilding a 5 speed VR4 transmission:

Yes our company specializes in remanufacturing manual transmissions for the
89-99 Mitsubishi's.

We have done several FWD Stealth/3000GT transmissions and can fix yours for
under $1500, probably closer to $1150.

You have option to upgrade to a double synchro 2nd gear kit. This will
allow you to shift into 2nd gear at 7500+ rpm without any grind and it'll
last much longer than stock parts. This will also allow you do downshift
into 1st gear at speeds above 30mph without grind.

You can also upgrade

3rd/4th shift fork with an EVO III shift fork with Bronze alloy wear pads.
Heavy duty synchros on the rest of the gears.
10% taller 5th gearset for better fuel economy.

We have all parts in stock and our turn around time is one week.

If you decide to send the trans just follow these instructions:

http://www.teamrip.com/transship.html

Thanks

Jon

Please leave the original contents of any message in with any replies so I
don't have to hunt through old emails to remember what we are talking about.
Thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took one hour to get a response from the sales address. I'm exploring options for AWD trannies, because replacement and core charge sucks in certain situations.

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
Do you guys sell the parts seperately? Do you have a parts/price list if so? What is the gear ratio of your new 5th gear? Thanks for all info : )
sean

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
I think he meant awd tranny b/c I really don't see a FWD tranny needing all of these upgrades compared to the turbo model. Besides gear wise there should not be any difference between the fwd/awd tranny's only the differential section of the tranny.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Internexus said:
Do you guys sell the parts seperately? Do you have a parts/price list if so? What is the gear ratio of your new 5th gear? Thanks for all info : )
sean
I dont' work at TRE, but custom gears are generally 200 bucks a pop. Call them for parts. I was going to send my SL tranny there for upgrades to handle forced induction power, but now I'm considering selling the car.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nytemyst said:

they said for a FWD car.
This is the contents of my email:

I heard about your work on FWD Stealths/3000gt's, and would like to know
if anything can be done to a 1992 5 speed 3000GT VR4 transmission. It has
grinding into 2nd gear as the only problem, but I'm interesting in what can
be done in the $1500 range. Thanks.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
hmm, can you confirm with them that they are talking about the AWD, because they may have been confused and thought the VR4 had a FWD

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
billvp said:
, because they may have been confused and thought the VR4 had a FWD
If thats the case then they have no business working in any 3/S weather it Be FWD or AWD.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just sent them a reply. I'm sure the estimate is correct because it costs about $1500 for a full rebuild with OEM gearing, upgraded syncros, and custom shift forks. An AWD rebuild can only cost more if the customer is asking for custom gears, and a custom vcu spool lock replacement for drag racing.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The $1150 price for a rebuild fits the FWD tranny to a T. I would expect the AWD to cost more because of the higher cost of replacement parts.

You cannot beat TRE's work, period. If you need it done quicker but would like TRE parts, have it done here in GA at BEST Auto ( http://31061.com/bestauto )

Scott Evans is da man when it comes to DSM transmissions. Even Jon Ripple at TRE will tell you that. Scott will get all the parts from TRE so you'll end up with the same thing with a guaranteed quick turnaround. Scott's rebuilds truly <i>are</i> better than new, and even more so when coupled with TRE's custom parts (for FWDs).

Scott has already rebuilt a couple of 5spd and 6spd AWD transmissions too using new parts from CRS (I think that's their name). For those of you within driving distance, it may be a great alternative for tranny repair.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a response. They are continueing to develop upgrades for Getrags, though OEM parts are available. Rebuilds are the standard as always, like upgraded trash magnets, etc etc. Jon will keep me posted on developments.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
I think he meant awd tranny b/c I really don't see a FWD tranny needing all of these upgrades compared to the turbo model. Besides gear wise there should not be any difference between the fwd/awd tranny's only the differential section of the tranny.
The AWD and FWD transmissions on our cars are totally different. Virtually none of the parts are interchangable.

·
Arizona Cardinals
857 Posts
nytemyst,

Could you please remove the 'shake' javascript embedded in your signature? It causes a javascript error every time your posts are viewed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts