Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Total Posts: 1,736,254
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who want's to take a guess how much it weighs??? :D

Hint: It's a single titanium cat-back that replaces a section of stock exhaust that weighs around 60 #'s + or - a few.

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, Jspec was the closest. We (me and Brian @ GT Pro) were guessing about 18-20 lbs. before they arrived. But the entire thing weighed in at a whopping 11.5 lbs! I was pretty f'ing inpressed when he told me! Now I can't wait to hear what it sounds like! It's the first one on US soil :D I think he ordered a total of 5, one was mine, and I'm not sure but the other 4 might already be sold. They're expensive as hell, ~$1.5k, but shit, they are f'ing NICE and do shave off ~50 lbs., so that's pretty hard to beat. Hopefully Pitroad will make a titanium dp to match. That would be sweet.

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found out that Brian GT Pro posted this info. on the main board already haha. Anyway, he attached a pic of it so you can check it out. It's expensive, but man, you tell quality shit when you see it, let me tell you.

Later

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
ah...damn i overguestimate. Now i read read my data the JIC titanium for the Subaru WRX is around 10lbs. the 16lbs is actually the stainless steel one.

are they also 1mm tickness in pipping??
wait..so...did you bolt the thing on yet or you are waiting to put it on?? isn't titanium hard to weld?? hehe i want to see some heavy duty fireworks! :D

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be bolting it on tomorrow during Thanksgiving :D I couldn't think of a better way to spend my day off! ;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
yeah, titanium is hard to weld, i mess around with jewelry making and i work at a watch store and the owner does jewelry repair. some people come to us to get their glasses frames fixed and we see titanium frames on occasion.....he says no can do
he doesn't have an arc welder, but still...

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got it on!! But what a bitch!! :mad:

If I had a real GTO it would have gone on simple, with out a problem in prolly less than 2 hrs.........but I have a US 3000 GT :(

Being that as it is, you have to make a couple slight "modifications" to it to get it to fit properly. Namely, you have to cut off about 3" on the stainless steel adapter, and then about 2" on the titanium end that fits to the adapter. Normally that wouldn't be much of a problem for me......but I only had 1/2 of a cutter disk left on my dremel tool, so that was only good for about 1 or 2 inches on the adapter :( Then it gets almost rediculous.......I had to go to Kmart for some more blades. Got back, started cutting again, then my freakin dremel breaks! wft!? :mad: So, go BACK to Kmart, buy another dremel, go back to work and finally finish cutting the pipes like 2 hours later.

On a side note, I was able to finish the entire stainless steel adapter pipe with less than one disc, but it took me nearly 2.5 discs on the titanium piece, even though it was thinner. It was cool watching the sparks come off of the titanium, they were BRIGHT white whereas the sparks coming off the steel were just red. Pretty cool eh? hehe

Anyway, once that was done, I had to do a little filing on the edge of the titanium pipe so that it would fit over the adapter. I used the dremel for this as well so it didn't take too long. I finally got it all together and mounted on the car by about 8pm. I started at around 1, but stopped for dinner and a shower, also had to call a few places to see if any of them were open (for my Dremel blades), etc. Probably 4 hours of straight work I'd say, most of which was cutting and screwing around under the car.

Anyway, the moment I was waiting for, how does it sound?? I started it up and the thing just growled like a V10 or something, really tough. At idle the thing seriously sounds like a Viper or something. When you rev it the pitch gets a little higher, but it's still a very low note. And shit the thing is LOUD!! I think I might need to get a silencer or something living in HB since cops here are dicks. It was louder than I expected I'll say, but it sounds very sweet. I took it for a few test runs and shit my car pulls much better now on top end, no doubt! I don't know if it's because of the weight or better flow, probably both, but you can obviously notice the car pulling harder at high speeds. 70 to 110 in 3rd comes REALLY quick, I was VERY impressed.

FYI: I also replaced my stock cat with a completely gutted one I bought off of the 3SI classifieds, so I'm sure that's making it louder and pull harder as well.

Overall, I LOVE this exhaust. Carying the old stock unit over to the corner of my garage I couldn't believe how f'ing heavy that pos is! It felt every bit of 60 lbs. Hopefully Pitroad will come around to making a Titanium dp as well, that would kick ass. But I am VERY happy with the cat-back, that's for sure :D I'll try to get some pics soon for everyone to see how it looks. I also wanna burn the tip blue so we'll see about that.

Later!

·
Registered
349 Posts
So, Pitroad M is good stuff then eh? Good to hear:D Jeez, just when i was getting the credit cards all paid off...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
haha you better watchout. that thing is almost straight..i can imagine how loud it is..even if you have two turbos ;)

is your vr4 your daily driver?? you don't drive a second car?

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup, it's the daily driver alright. I'd better not get harassed or else I'm gonna be pissed :mad: Now they can get me for exhaust, window tint, AND front license plate :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow man, that seems like it's gonna be one hell of an awesome exhaust.....let us know what type of sound it makes...is it like a deep rumble (V-8 like) or what?
I can't believe it weighs in at only 11.5 lbs....only one word can summarize it....AWESOME!!

BTW, does anyone know how much other aftermarket exhaust systems wiegh?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Matt -- HB Cali said:
yup, it's the daily driver alright. I'd better not get harassed or else I'm gonna be pissed :mad: Now they can get me for exhaust, window tint, AND front license plate :(
hey...you are just like me! only red with bigger spoiler and faster :D

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trevor said:
Damn...I'm jealous Matt! I want one! :eek:
Same goes for your hood dude!! :D That's next on my list.....check the profile ;-)

·
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jspec said:

hey...you are just like me! only red with bigger spoiler and faster :D
Yeah, no shit........sometimes red is a very very bad thing, not to mention the spoiler and now throbbing exhaust :( Guess I'll see you in the fix-it ticket line :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts