Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what do I do next. They told me there only giving me 3688.88 for the car is this fair? Should I take it or fight it? And then does anybody have a car they want to sell me/

Thanks,
Robert

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
FIGHT IT! When I totaled my Geo Metro they were gonna give my $1500. My Dad fought them and got $2700 out of it. They always start low and try to rip you off. You also need to get tax on the money and rental allowance. I have my SL for sale, you can have it for $6,500.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
How many miles on the car if its below 100K then the car should be worth around 6k.
Either way, buy the car back and part it out. You will make your money back.
Sorry to hear about the loss.

Jeff

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
That seems low to me. But hell, what do I know? :p But I'd still reccommend arguing it. Plus, be sure that you tell them that you added many options to the car AFTER purchase,such as the wheels, gauges, pedals and shifters.

Even better if you have the original purchase receipts, as those will prove increased value of the car. They then must factor that into the amount they are giving you, because their 'god book' only includes STOCK values. Your mods and upgrades are worth money.

Sorry to hear though. It sucks whenever another one is trashed. :( See if you can buy it back for a grand or something though. If there are alot of good parts, you can part it out, which helps the community with low cost parts, and also make some cash back to fund an ES or SL purchase this time around. :D

Good Luck dude.

Elton

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
This is an easy way to make it work in your favor. Go get a local paper or autotrader and find 3 cars like yours. They have to give you the middle price so make sure they are priced up there. They won't even argue this.

C

·
0 Posts
Its a base model, they have very little value unfortunately. But unless you have outrageous mileage say 150+K miles than I think it should be worth "a little more".

6K however is totally unrealistic for a 91' base model Stealth.

It also doesn't help that book values for Stealth's are lower than street values.. Being under the Dodge label brings prices down drastically.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Hey, Elmo, I don't think that showing them receipts for a lot of mods is going to do him any good.

If he insured the car as a base '91 with a shitload of mods, then he's in luck, but if he only insured the car as a base '91, then they are obliged to insure him for only a base '91.

It doesn't matter what was in your car - it matters only what you insure it for. You can insure your car plus the mods, but you'll have to pay an increased premium.

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
I'd fight to get a higher amount. The worse that can happen is you end up with the 3K.

·
2,994 Posts
I got them to pay for my stero which was broken when I had an accident. That's a mod. I showed the recipt and made them pay for it. When it is not considered upkeep or maintance, you can get your money back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I not so screwed

I sent her my reciepts of all stuff I added. here what I sent her :

4 American Eagle Rims 17"
4 falken ZIEC-50z 17"

JVC Double Din
Pioneer 120 watt amp
10" sub woofer in custom box

viper alarm 500

I paid roughly 1300 for the rims and tires ( thats what I told her and got my friend at Accessory world to make me a new invoice I paid wholesale $800)
500 for the radio, amp, and Speaker

300 for alarm

I told her I would not settle for anything less than 4500 or she fixes the car. She'll have an anwser for me tommorrow. she trying to be real nice to me because I am taking them to court over the injuries.

Good deal or not?

RObert

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
Hey, Elmo, I don't think that showing them receipts for a lot of mods is going to do him any good.

If he insured the car as a base '91 with a shitload of mods, then he's in luck, but if he only insured the car as a base '91, then they are obliged to insure him for only a base '91.

It doesn't matter what was in your car - it matters only what you insure it for. You can insure your car plus the mods, but you'll have to pay an increased premium.
In some sense, you're correct Andrew. But there is part of this I don't agree with.

Now, I have to say this: I am NOT making a statement on BEHALF of my employer. The following is MY OWN opinion and does NOT reflect the thoughts or opinions of my employer, Metlife Auto & Home Insurance, Inc.

Ok, with that out of the way, yes, actually, parts and addon's thrown into the car ARE covered under blanket coverage of the vehicle. The ONLY items that are disputed, are when CERTAIN items within the car, such as EXTREMELY high end Electronics, (Head units, amps, drivers, Ham radios, Scanners (where legal) etc) exceed a predetermined amount. This amount varies by state.

So long as DolfanRob's audio gear does not exceed his insurance companies state predetermined amount, he can legally claim those add on after stock installations.

There is a limitation though, any items that are considered wear and tear items are exempt. Therefore, performance tires, brakes pads, etc, are not considered eligible like Liu had said.

Anything else that is a mod/upgrade, that cost him money, which would not have been included stock, would therefore be considered in the 'total' estimate. (total, by insurance definition, means, 'losing the use, ownership, or right to enjoy said insured Item')

Wow. I think this is the FIRST time I've actually gotten something out of working here at Met. :p (I hate this job. hahahah)

Elton

*edit - typos*

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
fevest said:
Elmo,

I hope met life auto doesn't suck too much as my wife and I have that insurance!

later:D

HAHAHHAHA

no no, the insurance is great. don't get me wrong at all. :)

My buddy has it also, lost traction in the rain with his maxima one morning. The insurance inspector from met was at the shop the next day, and then handed him a check for all the damages on the third day (another day and half after the inspection)

To me, that's phenomenal customer service in the insurance industry. Better than the ridiculous bullshit I got from State Farm when my towing incident happened. Even though it's unclear what really destroyed my trans (everyone disagrees with everyone else) they way they treated me was unacceptable. I felt as if I had committed a crime or something; meanwhile, I'm shelling out THOUSANDS of dollars to fix the car, and are an emotional wreck throughout it all.

I'm actually planning on changing over in the next month or so. I just have to settle up with State farm, because I owe them last months payment. Plus, I want to make sure that Met will offer me the same coverage for renters and life insurance (which I'm sure they wil)

Elton

·
Banned
762 Posts
I hope met is good, my accident was on sat. I called the agent 2 hrs after, called my adjuster today, no response or reply, I have to drive this bad boy home come thanksgiving for break and isn't soo degrading driving our cars in any other condition than perfect. You are use to looks, just not these kinds.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
no, not at all off base.

Yes, I do get a group discount rate. I have no idea what the percentages are for each line of coverage, or each coverage point.

I guess I"ll find out shortly.

wow, that kinda surprises me Good2go. I've never heard them taking that long. If they don't call you by tomorrow noon, I'd get on their asses. :) (once again, spoken as a person, not as an employee :D)

BTW, I think I saw Yogurt lives up by you. If you can't make it down to my place for me to help you with body work, maybe he'd be willing if he's got free time. Just a thought. :)

Elton

·
Banned
762 Posts

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
cotmfk said:
I hate driving my car when anything is wrong with it!

Just a question, how can you drive your car if it is totalled?
Totaled usually just means the damage is more than half the cars value. Say the car is worth 6000 dollars. And the cost to fix is 4000 dollars. Well the insurance company will usually not want to go through fixing it and getting you a rental car, so they just call it totalled and write you a check. They turn around and auction the cars off, or send them to places that collect the panels/engines.

-Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts