Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL!! I thought I'd try launching the car today so I hit a small straight stretch on a backroad on the way home from work.

Well, I come to a stop and this damn Geo Tracker with 2 teenagers come creeping up real slow. I guess they were checking my car out. I didn't see them because I was "purposely" fiddling with something in the passanger seat to not make it look obvious what I was doing!:D So then I straighten up the car and another damn truck comes down the road, so I wait for him to go by.

I finally caught a break and decided to JUST DO IT!:D So, I sit there and gave it a few quick revs to 3500 RPM's and hit 4000RPM's and then slipped the clutch and went to W.O.T.. Well, it started going but took FOREVER to get moving because the clutch would not release; so I let off the gas a little bit and it caught. I had the most AWFUL smell in my car from the burnt clutch.:p:(

Needless to say, it/I SUCKED!:D I guess it's the anxiety or nervousness because every time I decide to do this I get "butterflies" from the anxiety and nervousness of "accidentally" meeting a cop... LOL!!:D:D I have launched it a whopping 3 times. The first time was very amatuer. The second time was very good for a beginner, IMHO and the third one sucked so much ass I could have been beat by that Geo Metro that creeped by me!

BTW! I caught up with the Geo Tracker and they put on their caution lights so I'd pass them. I bet they will have to get a neck brace because their lil tiny necks were as stretched as stretched could have gotten...:D:D

·
Registered
636 Posts
hehe thats a funny story, don't worry just practice in open road at night, thats what i do

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
Worried about cops ? Lol I have launched my AWD cars almost infront of them before and most don't seem to mind to tell you the truth I don't think they ever even notice.

I was kinda having a REALLY bad day when I went to renue my license. I went to the DMV and they told me they couldn't renue it because it was suspended for the past year (funny I knew nothing of this) :confused: for a unpaid traffic ticket from 1996 and I had to go across town to the court house and deal with it. The court house had no idea and said I had no unpaid tickets. Well needless to say each department CANNOT give info to eachother over the phone. So I had to get the proper papers from them and give to the DMV. The DMV didn't know their heads from there assholes and gave me wrong info on the ticket # and everything else you can think of. Before it was all said in done I had to wait in a 15-30 min line at the courthouse 3 times and at the DMV 4 times and drive across town in slow ass 30 mph traffic. to finally get their mistake corrected because I had paid the ticket back in 96.

The last time I came out of the court house I had a parking ticket on my stealth for being in the 15 min parking for 25 min :mad: It is a nice wide 2 lane street RIGHT infront of the police station I decided I needed to do a U turn around with a nice 7grand clutch dump :) I could try over 100 times and never get it the same. That had to have looked really cool, car with ass end sliding around and smoke coming off all 4 tires right in front of the cop shop :) I didn't really care cause I was so pissed at the time. And I think I did like 80+ on the way back to the DMV in a 30 zone when I had a suspended license. Defintally not very smart but I WAS SO PISSED. I was and still am pised at myself for damaging my car (I hit my front fender too hard with my fist when I found the ticket and left 3 nice dents and cracked the paint). I do have another dent in that fender that needs to be fixed anyway but let me tell you That's was enought to get me to not give a [email protected]#k and WRECKLESSY drive my car right infront of the cops.

Then I decided for about the 10th time (on that last trip from the courthouse to the DMV) that I was going to do another really nice launch off a stoplight, well I did a nice clutch burning instead and that even helped out more with the anger (knowing that I pretty much trashed my clutch as well). I went home and gave my car a nice hand washing to try to make up for some of the abuse I gave it. I have owned it for over a year and NEVER abused it like that and I still can't hardly live with myself for doing that to my baby:( Thankfully I didn't get into a wreck or a HUGE ticket for driving like the ass that I did that day. I can live with the getting the fender fixed and yet another new clutch after only 10k all from 1 bad day :( still makes me want cry.

I guess that's what I get for having a birthday on Oct. 31st :( my day was defintally no treat that one. I was a little worried that the cop that gave me the ticket may have seen my lil temper tantrum and had my info from the ticket but I think I am safe because it has been a few weeks and I have heard nothing from them.:eek:

·
Registered
281 Posts
clutch stink

The smell of a burning clutch must be the worst smelling thing on the planet or damn near close.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: clutch stink

unvme9180 said:
The smell of a burning clutch must be the worst smelling thing on the planet or damn near close.
Yeah! I think it's up there with a Pigs Ass!:D

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Smell of burnt cutch is LOVELY compatred to the other burning smells cars can make:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Join the burnt clutch club...

I'm changing my 4rth clutch this year within 30,000 mile period. The first one was stock, second was a stage 2, third a stage 3, and finally putting in the stage 3 in again...Also you know what smells BAD :mad: is the gear oil in the tranny and transfer case!....JC

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
Dam, you must really like taking out that trans :( I replaced mine when I got the car about 10k ago and I hadn't even driven it more than 40 miles due to the needing to do the T-belt and the orignal clutch wouldn't totally release causing hard shifting and the dumb F#$ker that owned it before me to tear almost completly out the 3rd gear syncro. I decided to put in a new clutch and some B&N gear oil before I started driving it (stuff works like magic) :) made it so it only grinds when cold.

The only thing I did that was REALLY bad and I didn't think my clutch was going to last 1k was I kinda got in a race with a vett with like, umm 50 miles on the new clutch and I rode it out too much on the launch burning the hell out of it and glazing it over REALLY bad :( It was so bad that it slipped when in 5th gear if you got on it. I am really amazed it lasted to the 10k I put on it and it even holds up to some launches now after being nice to it for like 1000k after I glazed it. It is not a big deal since I have to pull the trans anyway to replace the 3rd gear syncro and center diff (VCU) over the winter. The dumass previous owner I think had it towed the wrong and I think that damaged the VCU.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
When I first got my 91 rt/tt I also tried launching it on my way home from work because there is 3 stop signs on a road that is rarely used. For the first week I was trying to start off quick from every stop sign and every stop light. But one time I launched at about 4000RPM and when I let go i was rarely moviving but my rpm was at about 3000 now and the clutch was all the way out. Now I am thinking that my engine just screwed me over or something really bad just happend. So i just pulled over and called a tow truck. When I got my car fixed I found out that it was the clutch that went out. The car had about 90,000 miles on it and was the original clutch. My family has been taking are cars to a local mechanic for a few years now. And he put in a clucth that he use to use when he raced at the local speed way. Right when my clutch went out I also smelt a wierd smell and I poped my hood and there was smoke coming from where the clutch was. So now I have been kinda scared to do any of those launches b/c I dont want it to happen to me any time soon. But when I do launch I can smell that same smell as when the clutch went out, is this bad? Also for street driving what is a good RMP to launch at and then also for the track?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wicked91RT said:
When I first got my 91 rt/tt I also tried launching it on my way home from work because there is 3 stop signs on a road that is rarely used. For the first week I was trying to start off quick from every stop sign and every stop light. But one time I launched at about 4000RPM and when I let go i was rarely moviving but my rpm was at about 3000 now and the clutch was all the way out. Now I am thinking that my engine just screwed me over or something really bad just happend. So i just pulled over and called a tow truck. When I got my car fixed I found out that it was the clutch that went out. The car had about 90,000 miles on it and was the original clutch. My family has been taking are cars to a local mechanic for a few years now. And he put in a clucth that he use to use when he raced at the local speed way. Right when my clutch went out I also smelt a wierd smell and I poped my hood and there was smoke coming from where the clutch was. So now I have been kinda scared to do any of those launches b/c I dont want it to happen to me any time soon. But when I do launch I can smell that same smell as when the clutch went out, is this bad? Also for street driving what is a good RMP to launch at and then also for the track?
I just found this! Hope it helps you and me too!;) LOL!!:D

http://www.3000gtvr4.com/pages/launch.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts