Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'd like to start by listing what I am starting with here.

I bought a 92 VR4 back in January 2015 with 162k miles on it and had a decent amount of issues. When I bought the car, it had blue Corbeau racing seats in it, which I did not like and the factory seats the guy had looked pretty much new. So I took those seats out, sold them and put the factory ones back in. I gotta ride in comfort lol.

So for the issues that are now fixed:
- Big dent in the oil pan, because its apparently the best place to put a floor jack, or so the previous owner thought... Fixed 2 days after buying the car when I discovered it.
- Weird clunking when I hit a bump, found that the strut towers were not even finger tight, fixed that about a week after buying it.
- The guy said in his ad "New brakes", which I found to be very wrong. Never buy a car at night when you can't see to call someone on stuff like this. Replaced pads and rotors all the way around.
- For unknown reasons, the previous owner had put a FWD transmission in the car. Assuming he blew up his TC or transmission and decided FWD was cheaper so he could sell it. Everything converted back to AWD last weekend with a 25 spline transmission and tc (04/11/15.)
- While replacing the transmission, the clutch fell to pieces since it clearly could not handle the power of a VR4 and the Flywheel looked really rough. Replaced the Flywheel with an OEM VR4 flywheel and the clutch with an XTD Stage 3 clutch.
- A lot of the interior trim pieces were painted white for some reason. I bought ones that weren't painted from Aaron and replaced them.
- All the belts including the timing belt looked like they've never even been changed in the cars poor life. Replacing all of them and doing the 60k maintenance on 04/18/15.
- Chrome ECU installed on 06/05/15.

So the great news is about roughly $2000 later, my car is back to stock! Special thanks to Aaron (92VR4Widebody) for having just about everything to get my car back up to stock and giving me some good prices.

Now that I've got the issues taken care of, its time to build! I am not shooting for insane numbers in my opinion. I plan to go for right around 450-500AWHP and make the car a weekend warrior. I do plan to Autocross it in the SCCA during the summer time as well.

Modifications so far are in my forum signature, easier to keep it updated than this first post.

The planned build list so far: (Parts that I don't have yet)
- 13T, 15G or 19T turbos.
- E85 fuel pump.
- 700+cc injectors.
- Forged internals for my spare block (4 bolt.)
- 3SX Cam gears.

None of those are in any particular order.

Curious if the planned build items and a good tune will get me to the 450AWHP mark or if I need to go beefier. Anything that I should be considering that I missed?

Thanks!

·
My car is a money pit
2,768 Posts
Sounds like you have your head on straight. Be aware that being a 92, you have a 2 bolt block. They are relatively weak, and being a little up there in mileage, you may run into some issues down the road when you make real power. So may want to plan a 4 bolt block in the future :)

And the 550's might be a hair small... especially if you run any e85.

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was going back and forth about the injector size. Might go for 650s.

As far as the block goes, when I get a built block set up down the road, it'll be a 4 bolt. Already had that planned. I'll drive it as I mod it and drop a built 4 bolt in right around the end of the build.

This build seems like a fairly inexpensive way to 450awhp from the research I've done so far.

·
og
4,293 Posts
see sig, good luck :)

·
og
4,293 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't done any research on 13t turbos, are they better than 15g?
were i building today i'd go with matt's dr650 turbos.

best bolt on pump gas td04 out there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went with turbo tims billet 15gs. We all want 750s but I digress.
My build is done but I'm running billet 15s on stock pressure and fuel. I want to work out all the random 3s engine issues first.

Really cool build. But the reason I'm posting is to say.
Get a 4bolt With a good crank and build it up. It's never a bad idea to have a fall back motor. If u find a good deal and have the scratch, scoop it up.

·
Granny Shifter
994 Posts
JoshXT said:
For unknown reasons, the previous owner had put a FWD transmission in the car. Assuming he blew up his TC or transmission and decided FWD was cheaper so he could sell it. Everything converted back to AWD last weekend (04/11/15.)
I don't know why, but I found this really funny. Good on ya for saving this car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello everyone. I'd like to start by listing what I am starting with here.

I bought a 92 VR4 back in January 2015 with 162k miles on it and had a decent amount of issues.

- All the belts including the timing belt looked like they've never even been changed in the cars poor life. Replacing all of them and doing the 60k maintenance on 04/18/15.

i would say change your oil pump why your doing the 60k unless its been changed already , i believe most ppl change them when they hit 120k-180k

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
New oil pump will go in with the 4 bolt block once I get it and built. Most of what was done maintenance wise was to ensure that the car will be able to be on the road while I finish up buying all the stuff on my list and put it together.

Keep in mind, I am not "poor" but I certainly can not afford to buy everything at once. I have to probably buy one thing every couple of weeks and start a pile, or just toss it in the car.

I've also decided to not upgrade to 15g's until I have my 4 bolt block set up first. I think I have a plan, and please do correct me if I am wrong in my way of going about this.

Steps I plan on going in for upgrades:

1. Custom exhaust (Got it)
2. Chrome ECU (Got it)
3. AEM Tru Boost (Got it)
4. GM MAF + MAF-T (Got it)
5. E85 fuel pump + hot wire
6. 700cc+ fuel injectors (At this point, I'm going to go for E85 and turn up the 9bs up to 15psi)
7. Fabberge FMIC kit with hard pipes. (Got it)
8. Aftermarket BOV (Got it)
9. Build my 4 bolt block (Everything from this point and below will go in together)
10. Billet 15G Turbos
11. 3SX Cam Gears
12. Put it all together and tune!

That look like a good plan?

·
og
4,293 Posts
if you're going to add bits and pieces you might need a wideband to tune on.

·
Racer X
53 Posts
Excellent work, saving one. You're a hero, man. Pretty car, love white 3Ss.

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I see enough of these getting parted and destroyed, I figured saving one would be nice for a change haha. Also found that the carrier bearings in the driver shaft I got were garbage, so its taken apart getting that fixed now, should be back on the road Friday!

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So we think one of my turbos needs rebuilt. Its blowing a lot of white smoke when taking off from idle.

Going to go ahead and get the 15gs and slap those on there. Question is, do I need to do anything special or can I just bolt them on and go?

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have some updates, not really any progress made.

The car is on the road and has been for about a month now on and off. Things have been hit or miss this past month and I've dealt with a few issues.

1. Had a fun nightmare with locking lug nuts that resulted in me breaking one of the studs on my rear passenger side wheel hub. I have a replacement on its way.

2. Found out that my nice wheels that were on my NA won't fit on my VR4 because the front calipers are too big. Ordered some wheel spacers, they're on the way.

3. I was blowing clouds of white smoke every time I took off. I did some research and saw that some people were swearing by Royal Purple HPS 20w50, so I ordered some and changed my oil with it. No more big clouds of white smoke now, but it will blow a puff of blue smoke when I take off after the car warms up. Suspecting a PCV valve, going to order a replacement one on Friday.

4. Pretty sure one of my front wheel bearings is bad, not sure which one yet. I ordered wheel hub assemblies from NAPA as well as rear rotors that need replaced only to find that NAPA has no idea what our cars are and assumes that they're all FWD, so every single part was wrong. Took those all back and ordering the stuff online this weekend.

5. I got a DNP Y-Pipe installed, a little bit of bling for the engine bay lol. Not sure if it has any performance gains or not..

6. Cleaned out my incredibly dirty K&N cone filter that I had on my NA that I moved to my VR4. It is amazing what cleaning that thing can do because I think I gained 5MPG in gas mileage since doing it lol.

7. I pulled in to my drive way over the weekend then later found a big puddle in the drive way. My heart sank at first thinking it was oil until I realized it wasn't purple (lol royal purple oil is nice..) I couldn't figure out what it was at first, I found where it was coming from and thought it might be a brake line in the back, then jacked it up to find that it was one of my AWS lines... So I suppose one of the next mods to go on the list will be an AWS delete unfortunately unless I can find a way to repair the line.

Still a lot of maintenance to do before I start throwing any big upgrades at it. I don't regret bringing this thing from near death yet, but I sure have cussed at it a lot lol..

1 - 20 of 336 Posts