Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
subject pretty much says it all. I wish I had had it before I bought mine back in March - would have saved me some bucks on typically lame dealer/Mitsu mechs.

Very good addition to the 3S community!!!

BTW I think you were probably working on your Downpipe page this am as that was the one page I couldn't access.

Best, Rick

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Thanks Rick

Thanks Rick.

My wife doesn't mind me working on her car bur she isn't too fond of my playing on the internet for hours:D

Unfortunately AOL web page hosting is a little lame, if you can't access a page try hitting "refresh" a couple of times it might come up.

The Downpipe reviews are still a little rough, has anyone used the Extreme motorsports, Altered Atmospher or buscur raciong downpipes? from their descriptions it sounds like they are sellign the ATR downpipe as their own.

My dealer saga is a must read for those who like horror stories, It also shows how dealers gouge you bad. For example I paid a dealer to replace my timing belt and they charged me an extra $50(not including parts) to install a new timing tensioner instead of reusing the existing one(as I asked). I paid $50 extra and the only extra work required was removing and installing 2 bolts! Pass the Preperation-H because my ass hurts just remembering it. The worst part is that I am a mechanical engineer who worked at a service station in high school. At the time I knew I could do it myself but I thought a dealer would do a better job. Since my timing belt jumped 1 year later that was a bad assumption too.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should try to do work yourself! (long)

John,

The page did eventually load - after about 10 re-loads (I knew the trick),

Our stories are somewhat similar - I was an auto mechanic out of high school (1975 with two years vocational auto training - 2 hours a day as a Junior, 3 as a senior). I didn't like working on other peoples uncared-for cars so 6 months later I inlisted in the Air Force as a flight-line Jet engine mechanic (F-4 Phantoms). After 2 years I got an early out and with my GI Bill got my BA in Economics from UCLA and an MBA from UC Berkeley 5 years later. I worked on a few of my own cars - mostly building up the drivetrain/mechanical stuff and fixing them up and driving them for ever (I still have my 70 Challenger - owned since 78 and my 68 510 - owned since 1989). I kept for the most part to old technology as the new stuff I was unfamiliar with - e.g. MFI). About 7 years ago I suffered a high speed ski fall - which has screwed up my back and neck so badly that it is major pain if I do anything physically stressful.

I bought my VR in March with the full intention, I would never work on it (oh it's too complicated) - well I think you know my story from my historic "Screwed in ..." and "I finally got my JSpec..." posts. Basically I took it to Mitsu mechanics who didn't know about turbo engines and spent over $500 to be told I needed an engine when it was in fact my turbos that were out. While the JSpec was only $2400 delivered I probably sunk in another $3000 for suprises and maintenance. I am happy with the results, but it still is a used engine which could mean problems down the road (at least I got a nice set of what look like new 13Gs out of it though).

I recommend to anyone to do what Brainfood is doing. He's 19 and already has his engine apart and has disassembled the 5-speed Getrag. When anyone tells you you need to spend ANY money for a repair try to do it yourself - check with the board for contacts, read a lot - especially searching the archives and reading the FAQs, ask questions, and you would be suprised (a lot of the stuff is easier on the base or sl/es models). There are far too many too many dealer/mechanic horry stories for our cars.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good job on the page

Just a recommendation: Change the "Blue color" on the links. Blue on black its hard to read.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I am always willing to host 3/s related FAQ and service information on tripoint.org. Just email me if you are interested.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dumb Question..

What FAQ are you talking about?? Got a link for me?

Thx

Mike

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
I added link in my signature

I added a link to my FAQ in my signature File.

Contents of my FAQ

1. Why (just a little bit about me and (my wifes) car.
2. The Saga of my car, please read to avoid making some of the same mistakes I have. Also a good example of dealer double charging.
3. Internet Sites (the usual 3si links)
4. Reference Material (just a few car books for the techno nerd)
5. Suggested Upgrade stages (My personal & links to others)
6. 4-Bolt main conversion details (Very detailed)
7. Polishing (great before and after pictures)
8. Porting (or why you might not want to do this)
9. Intakes (Comparison & how to make your own for $80-$90)
10. Spark Plugs and Wires (prices, links and my personal opinion)
11. Downpipe Comparison (Needs more work)
12. Special Tools Updated (Good Section!)
13. Find OEM part numbers w/o going to dealer, CAPS program
14. Transmission rebuild Suggestions, Output shaft
15. Aluminum flywheel – Should you do this modification
16. Under Drive pulley – should you do this modification
17. Lifter tick (focuses on converting to 2nd gen Lifters)
18. Boost Controller Comparison (still a little rough)
19. ECU Repair (still a little rough)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts