Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

421 - 440 of 453 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
So I'm working on installing this conversion. Actually working on the rear first. I am running EVO X rear Calipers with 2nd Gen VR4 rear rotors. I know it is mentioned a few times throughout this thread that some "clearancing" is needed to fit the EVO rear Calipers. Can someone clarify exactly what that means? I know the bolt holes for the caliper mount need to be enlarged, is that it? Also the bolt holes on my calipers don't center exactly with the existing mounting holes on the knuckle. Is it just a matter of boring the holes on the knuckle until it lines up? Couldn't that potentially allow the caliper to "float" on the mounting points?
You have to enlarge the holes in the knuckle, and in the process relocate the center of the hole slightly. That means you can't just drill it out, you have to remove the material from one side of the hole.

·
I feel the need for speed
741 Posts
So I'm working on installing this conversion. Actually working on the rear first. I am running EVO X rear Calipers with 2nd Gen VR4 rear rotors. I know it is mentioned a few times throughout this thread that some "clearancing" is needed to fit the EVO rear Calipers. Can someone clarify exactly what that means? I know the bolt holes for the caliper mount need to be enlarged, is that it? Also the bolt holes on my calipers don't center exactly with the existing mounting holes on the knuckle. Is it just a matter of boring the holes on the knuckle until it lines up? Couldn't that potentially allow the caliper to "float" on the mounting points?
The holes must be elongated to accommodate the extra width of the bolt centers. I tried to do an even amount top and bottom to keep the caliper in the same position but you could do it with just one hole if it's easier for you. You'll also need to remove some of the casting from the caliper mounting tabs so it sits flush on the axle tabs. Once you've made the holes, you'll see the problem when you go to tighten it down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
1g lip guru.
1,608 Posts
It would be highly beneficial to just use Evo 8/9 calipers. There is no clearance required and they bolt right in. You will not feel a difference in braking with Evo 8/9 vs Evo X rear calipers.

·
die die die!!
5,600 Posts
it has been a few years, but i’m pretty sure nothing has to be done to fit evo 8/9 calipers on the back. i think i even used the stock hardware.

i’m pretty sure i bought:
-evo 8/9 rear calipers
-2gtt 3000gt rear rotors
and
-rear evo brake lines

i think that’s it, it’s been a few years since i did the swap.

And, i’m pretty sure i cut off the dust shields since i couldn’t find a spot to unbolt them.

i would check for you, but i can’t...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes i became aware that the Evo 8/9 Rear Calipers are drop in replacements AFTER i had bought the EVO X's... I am not going through the trouble to sell them and buy different one's. I am committed to making these work. Spent some time with a Dremel and a couple of carbide bits last night and was able to clearance one side to allow the caliper mounting bolts caliper seems to line up well now but i have to inspect it a bit closer to make sure things are the way they are supposed to be.

·
741 Posts
Has anyone noticed at nearly full lock some weird behavior when maneuvering? With the recent snow, when backing up and cutting hard left, the left front wheel was scrubbing hard like the front wheels were at different angles. I finally got some new tires as well and it's way more stable now, it used to follow grooves in the road so bad it was dangerous to drive one handed!

·
Cops Love Me
1,391 Posts
Read over a fair amount of this thread (probably 20 pages) and still looking for the right "solution".

I want to do this conversion myself (already have evo x calipers) and I also want to do an ABS delete at the same time, does anyone make a ABS delete to evo x front calipers directly kit?

I see STM does a delete kit that goes to stock 3000GT front at least. 3SX sells a kit that would probably fit with Hans' lines.

It looks like the SS lines that are offered go from hardline to SS back to hardline back to SS then to the calipers... Any reason they don't go directly from the hardline to SS to calipers? Is it just to ensure the wheels don't hit a loose line?

Seems to me my ideal situation would be like:
ABS Delete that goes directly to EVO X Front Caliper ( 10mm banjo) and then in the rear when the hardline disconnected in the first spot have another SS line that goes all the way to the caliper (is this 10mm banjo also?)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Read over a fair amount of this thread (probably 20 pages) and still looking for the right "solution".

I want to do this conversion myself (already have evo x calipers) and I also want to do an ABS delete at the same time, does anyone make a ABS delete to evo x front calipers directly kit?

I see STM does a delete kit that goes to stock 3000GT front at least. 3SX sells a kit that would probably fit with Hans' lines.

It looks like the SS lines that are offered go from hardline to SS back to hardline back to SS then to the calipers... Any reason they don't go directly from the hardline to SS to calipers? Is it just to ensure the wheels don't hit a loose line?

Seems to me my ideal situation would be like:
ABS Delete that goes directly to EVO X Front Caliper ( 10mm banjo) and then in the rear when the hardline disconnected in the first spot have another SS line that goes all the way to the caliper (is this 10mm banjo also?)
I can confirm that the STM ABS Delete kit can go Direct to EVO X Calipers. On the rear i am using the 3SX EVO X Brake line conversion Kit to the EVO X Calipers.

·
Cops Love Me
1,391 Posts
I can confirm that the STM ABS Delete kit can go Direct to EVO X Calipers. On the rear i am using the 3SX EVO X Brake line conversion Kit to the EVO X Calipers.
Did you request from STM to have a banjo bolt?

Never realized 3SX sold the EVO X brake line kit... were you able to buy the rear only? I guess you can probably sell just the front as it seems a fair amount of people only do the front.

·
die die die!!
5,600 Posts
i’m running the stm abs delete and jester’s evo brake setup(with evo x brakes), and evo 8/9 rear brakes. i didn’t use anything aside from evo brakes, and evo brake lines for the front and rear.

my lines for the front are extra long, but everything bolts up.

i’m not with the car, so i can’t send pictures or anything, but everything will bolt up with evo 8/9 rear calipers, evo 8/9 rear brake lines,evo x front brake lines, stm abs delete, and evo x front calipers, just with a lot of extra line. which could be annoying, but i’ve driven the car for 50ish hours with this set up.

feel free to pm me, but i’m not with the car and it’s been over a year since the conversion. Should we have to take the same pt test?

edit:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Did you request from STM to have a banjo bolt?

Never realized 3SX sold the EVO X brake line kit... were you able to buy the rear only? I guess you can probably sell just the front as it seems a fair amount of people only do the front.
No Banjo Bolt needed, the Fittings that come with the STM ABS delete bolt right into the Calipers perfectly fine. As for the 3SX lines, no i ordered the entire set but am just using the rears.

·
die die die!!
5,600 Posts
No Banjo Bolt needed, the Fittings that come with the STM ABS delete bolt right into the Calipers perfectly fine. As for the 3SX lines, no i ordered the entire set but am just using the rears.
well that’s cool, i guess i didn’t need the evo brake brake lines for the front.. hmm

·
741 Posts
Any brake line kit designed for a 3/S will not fit an EVO Brembo caliper. I have a feeling you guys are confusing the hard lines with the caliper lines.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Any brake line kit designed for a 3/S will not fit an EVO Brembo caliper. I have a feeling you guys are confusing the hard lines with the caliper lines.

See attached pictures of the STM ABS Delete kit lines bolting Directly to EVO X Brake calipers... No confusion here. :)

Attachments

·
741 Posts
Wow that's a face palm if there ever was one. It's supposed to look like this:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yeah, i know what it's "supposed to look like". Fact is it doesn't NEED to look like that. The EVO Line conversion is completely unnecessary in the front for anybody running an ABS delete Kit with SS braided lines... I ran it the same way for years with OEM Calipers. Go ahead tell me i can't... or shouldn't... ;)

·
741 Posts
Yeah, i know what it's "supposed to look like". Fact is it doesn't NEED to look like that. The EVO Line conversion is completely unnecessary in the front for anybody running an ABS delete Kit with SS braided lines... I ran it the same way for years with OEM Calipers. Go ahead tell me i can't... or shouldn't... ;)
You need banjo bolts, you can't put the hoses in that way, it's not going to work.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You need banjo bolts, you can't put the hoses in that way, it's not going to work.

Please explain to me specifically why you think it won't work? Why would a Banjo Bolt be any different from a AN conversion fitting going into a caliper?

Its not rocket science... You are just feeding brake fluid to a caliper. So long as you use the proper thread size/pitch fitting to ensure it doesn't leak it is literally no different than using a banjo bolt. The fluid only goes one way, there is no special function that a banjo bolt provides in a brake caliper over these fittings. That being said, i am curious as to why you would state that it won't work even though i have in fact run my brakes like this on my cars for years with ZERO issues. :(

·
741 Posts
Please explain to me specifically why you think it won't work? Why would a Banjo Bolt be any different from a AN conversion fitting going into a caliper?

Its not rocket science... You are just feeding brake fluid to a caliper. So long as you use the proper thread size/pitch fitting to ensure it doesn't leak it is literally no different than using a banjo bolt. The fluid only goes one way, there is no special function that a banjo bolt provides in a brake caliper over these fittings. That being said, i am curious as to why you would state that it won't work even though i have in fact run my brakes like this on my cars for years with ZERO issues. :(
Tapered thread vs straight thread. Flow from the end of the hose vs from the bolt circumference. It's just not designed the same way, why would you think it should work?

·
741 Posts
Your brake lines aren't even secured from flopping around. What's to stop it from getting sucked into the axle or snagging the tires under full lock? Or rubbing on whatever until it fails? I can't believe you think that's acceptable to do, go ask any real mechanic if that looks ok and let me know what they say.

421 - 440 of 453 Posts