Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a blast yesterday... Anti-Pope (Zach), John Monnin, myself and 2 of Zach's friends all went autocrossing at our austrailian pursuit.

This is long but a great story!

John had raced once before, and this was the other guys FIRST race. Of course I've been doing it all year and some of last year.

I have to apologize, I can't remember how Zach did in his races, I think he won one and then lost 2?? John M. lost 2 in a row. :(

Zach's friend Jon (I'll spell it Jon so people can tell the difference between the 2) drove my car and did pretty well considering he doesn't own a 3s and he's never raced before. He won his first race, and I think his second one? I was in the car with him and while he was a little "loose", he seemed to have a good feeling for racing, he got smoother as the races went on.

Jon did end up losing and went into the "2nd chance" bracket... where he raced (AND BEAT) an older Supra. Then he lost to a Ford Focus (don't laugh, the guy ended up taking FIRST in the whole competition!)

I won my first race but only got 1/2 lap in... the other guy hit a cone... I lost my second race against a Boxter S who ended up coming in 2nd in the whole thing. This guy had race tires, 5-point harness, etc. etc. so he's REALLY into it.

SO then in the 2nd chance bracket I was adjusting my tires before my race (which was against Zach's other friend driving Zach's car) and noticed one tire was totally DELAMINATED. Check this thread for pics:
http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51383

THAT'S ONE BROKEN CAR (LOL)

So I couldn't race but Zach was nice enough to allow me to drive HIS car... so his friend did his run (which was TIMED), then I did mine... after 2.5 laps I noticed a weird "blowoff valve" type sound so I let up a bit but finished. I ended up winning but I thought I broke the car.

But Zach kept saying, "no, that's the intake hissing".. so he rode with me the next race and after only 1/4 lap, coming down a straightaway I floored it in 2nd gear and had NO power. So I told Zach, "I'm shutting it down"... just then we look and everyone is red flagging us... turns out we had a LOT of BLACK SMOKE coming out the back.

THAT'S THE 2ND CAR I BROKE!!

Well to make a long story short, the car stalled, we all thought it was the Y Pipe but it was still on... after 5 minutes, John M discovered the front driver's side intercooler pipe had popped off. We put it back on and the car was fine.

Needless to say, our day was cut short... Zach's friend never got a 2nd loss except he had to forfeit his last race because both the cars were "broken".

But it was a blast... I have to say Zach's car with TEIN coilovers is AMAZING to drive. It out-corners my car BY FAR and he only has 235 width (winter) tires. There's NO understeer or pushing, it just TURNS. If I had $1600 I'd have some TEINS in a second!

John M will post a bunch of pictures, I'm sure... we also have a bunch of video but don't have a way to digitize it yet.

Overall a pretty good (but small) gathering... John M and I are going to try to come up to Grand Rapids soon and cruise their strips or something. And Zach is "hooked"... he wants to come down to our "Snowcross" in January.

And as for my wrecked tire... no biggie because this week my Tubolares get delivered and then I"m off to Tire Rack for my Kumho 712's in a nice 265 width!

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So does anyone want to let me borrow their car for a quick race? :)

LOL

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Warning to all 3si Members

Here is the boost hose Jeremy broke:

The Boost controller was overboost warning and we could really hear the blow off valve from the side lines

Zack kept saying "don't worry its always sounds like that"
:rolleyes:

Here is Jeremy Getting ready to break Zack's car again. I believe he is asking if Zack has insurance.

But Zack [anti-pope] likes to live dangerously the tech inspector didn't notice this tire. He drove it 2 hours each way (Zack are you still with us????:confused: P.S. that beautiful maroon reflection in his paint is my car.

This is group picture is all of us standing next to the cars
Zack"anti-pope", JerermyG, and John Monnin

The Ends

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
3si Challenge for Next year

I though we had a few 3si members until I saw the focus club show up. I think 1 or 2 more showed up later.

Next year I would like to see teh Chicago, Detroit and Indianapolis Members show up and really dominate the event.

More auto cross photos.

The car in the front of the picture is a very modified Porche Boxter that came in second. The overall winner was a modified Miata.:eek:

John Monnin

·
Anti-Member
306 Posts
I had a fun time. This was my first autocross, and I'll definitely be attending more in the future.

I had originally intended to just bring one other person to drive down with, but he told a couple other people about it and four of us ended up driving down. Three of us wanted to race, so we went with the intention of all driving my car. Luckily, Jeremy was kind enough to let one of us drive his car.

John C. was the only one of us new guys to win a race (he won two.) I hit a cone on both of my runs. Jeremy is an excellent driver. It's to bad his tire went out, because he was doing so well.

Even with the problems, everyone had a great time, and it was well worth the trip. Jeremy and John are great guys and it was cool to meet them. Hopefully next spring we can get some more 3/S cars to autocross events.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JEESH! I didn't realize Zach's tires were THAT bald! I guess I never really looked. And it STILL HANDLED THAT WELL!?!?!?!?

Ok, I really, REALLY REALLY need some TEIN's now! :)

As for that boost hose, who knows if it was broken before or during the race :rolleyes: The intercooler hose, though, I will take responsibility for. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts