Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for an engine replacement but the 6-speed TT engines are out of stock right now. Only 94-97 Japanese-sourced JDM 5-speed engines with transmission around right now.

Are 1994-1997 Japanese TT 5-speed's compatible with a 1998 US 6-speed? As in if the transmission comes with the 5-speed engine can the differentials / torque converters on the current 6-speed car be fine or do they have to be adjusted for gear ratio or other variables? What else would need adjustment or replacement from 6 to 5? If mods need to be made, what is the typical parts/labor cost? The auto shop is researching this too but I thought I should hear from you guys. Any thread links on here? I looked and most were about problems with the current 5 or 6-speed setup, not the actual conversion.

I would not mind a 5-speed at all, especially because it's getting REALLY hard to find a low mileage or refurbished 6-speed engine in the US or Japan.

·
Premium Member
6,889 Posts
But to elaborate... There is no such thing as a 94-97 TT 5 speed. Getrag switched to 100% 6 speeds for 94 in all markets. if its a 2G 5 speed, it's out of a non turbo car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts