Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You must try and see an original watermarked Export Certificate if you are buying from a vehicle importer.
Any doubts about your car or one you are thinking of buying get on to this.-

Bespoke Inc - Importing Cars To Melbourne For Over 15 Years

Go into Speedo history or Tools, odometer check. Put the original 11 digit no off your firewall in, Pay $60 and find out.

You can also find similar speedo check service on ebay.

I have been watching Jap car auctions for some time. Plenty of genuine cars come into Australia but a couple of dealers in particular seem to regularly turn up with cars in Australia that had more klm's when they were for sale in Japan. Not just GTO's either.
Gives Jap cars a bad name, which makes your car worth less than it should be when it comes time to sell.
Costs decent people dearly, alot of them younger generation who can least afford it. Starting out in life, maybe a young family and a mortgage, when you pay for a good car you don't want to shell out good $ for an old bomb with the speedo wound back.
Course even with 50,000 or so km wound off they may perform faultlessly and you will be perfectly happy.
Any doubts get that certificate, official on watermarked paper from Japan. The car must have one to leave Japan. It shows the K's at last inspection.
I lost $2000 to one of these crooks once. I saw two cars at the Sydney NG which I am sure had Higher k's at auction in Japan. I was too dumb earlier on to right click, save the evidence.
Pass that website on to your Supra, Nissan, whatever mates. You find out your car is doctored do something about it. Social Media and you doing something means less chance of getting ripped off and your car is worth more.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Great read, very informative and highlights some of the issue's surrounding these cars.

·
?Mark
16,503 Posts
would work the same for me right?

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would work the same for me right?
Hmmm, Can't see why not. I have wondered how far back they can go.
Might be worth emailing their contact address and ask before you spend any money.
I asked about a 97, 99 and a 2000 and no worries there.

The search on ebay I referred to is based in the UK so I am guessing any Japan domestic market car should be do able.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Righto, the speedo check service here looks good,-
http://www.bespokeinc.com.au/

Sent request for three different numbers off last weekend.
Recieved PDF copies of certificates today. ( originals are coming in mail )

One for the Co-pilots 2000 cos I found it had a screw missing in the dash assembly and was a bit suss. No worries there, correct kms.
One for the 99. That was beaut, confirmed for me what we had been told, came out to Australia in Feb 2002 with next to no k's on the speedo. Certificate shows it never had a two yearly inspection in Japan. ( Bloke who complianced it said he thought it had about 6,000 km when he first saw it ). Looking good.

And I got one for a GTO I do not own. Confirmed that the speedo has been wound back to less than half of the real klm's it has travelled. Will keep you posted on that cos I think it is important. All I can say now, if you or anyone you know is thinking of buying a car fresh from Japan at the moment. SIGHT a certificate from Japan Dept of transport before you hand any money over. !!!!

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Good thread John. These shops need to be shamed. Name and shame any shop caught doing it.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In the interest of public safety,-----
Should be arriving in Australia about now and someone allready has paid a deposit for it,-

Pic of advert by honest dealer in Japan from earlier this year.
Get a load of the asking price and 138,000 klm's.

Here's the export certificate,-

Close up. This is last rego inspection in Japan. 130,600 klm. ( 23 in date is 2011 )
Year of the emperor 1988 + 23 years = 2011.

Here's old mate on ebay now with 60,020 klm, ( Lee's even uses some of the pics from the honest dealer in Japan ) ,---

1997 Mitsubishi GTO MR Twin Turbo White Coupe in Sydney, NSW | eBay

And on his own website with a youtube clip telling you how good it is. ( Note the price now as well. Rough guess you could of imported this yourself for at least $7,000 less )

1997 Mitsubishi Gto TWIN TURBO MR - Used Mitsubishi Gto For Sale in Concord , NSW - $19,888

This is a frozen pic from that same youtube vid. ( Thanks to a buddy for this )

Sight the export certificate if you are buying an import in Sydney. ( Make sure it is watermarked original ) Don't get ripped off. Get mad.
Tell your buddies buying other makes as well.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Someone needs to report these guys to the correct authorities. People are getting ripped off left right and centre. For some reason people think this doesn't happen anymore. My car only had 64k on it when I got it as the second Australian owner but I'm sure it was probably double that in reality.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Fair trading NSW take odometer fraud pretty seriously. I think my GTO came from Edward Lee I'll see if I can find the sale receipt with all the paper work that came with my car. Wait Matt is working at E. Lees now right? :s

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
NSW fair trading next to useless in my opinion. Uses info to put together advice booklet for consumers.
Police hopefull, but really the ones that are not hiding behind trees hoping to catch someone speeding are working on bigger problems than fraud.
Nope you need to do it yourself. The Import certificate is the Key. Get one for your car Paul. $60 well spent.
We need a forged import certificate made by the dealer in OZ. I know they are out there. I spoke to a fella whose car I know is wound back. Didn't tell him cos I didn't want to spoil it for him. Asked him did he have an import certificate. he said yes.
It must have been doctored, only way it can look right.
Fresh doesn't work there. Anyone in Sydney can watch out for the car though.

Here's another.
This is the one he got me on. I put a $2000 deposit down. The more he talked, the more I knew something seemed not right. I felt really bad pulling out and said to him, " Phil, keep the car and the deposit. Got no reason just pulling out ".
Recently this car came up totally by chance for me when I was searching Google Images.
One pic in Japan with 102,000 klm, right along side this video in OZ with 48,000klm.
Funny when I told him keep the deposit he didn't say " Nah, I'll pay it back, the speedo has been changed."
He sold it to someone else and got them as well.
If you see this one anywhere around please grab the Vin so I can get a certificate for it.
Freeze frame at about 2.44 in when you see the Rego plate in the Vid. It is in NSW somewhere. Sold early 2010 from memory.

GTO Twin turbo REVIEW @ Edward Lee's - YouTube

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
I think Matt does work there now. Also yesterday he posted pics of a white mr that was for sale. Probably that same car. He started working there about 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think Matt does work there now. Also yesterday he posted pics of a white mr that was for sale. Probably that same car. He started working there about 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Wow, Thanks Joe, I thought that car was due to turn up about now.

Suggest anyone in NSW thinks they were ripped off, gets on to NSW fair trading or NSW Police Force right about now. You don't get too many opportunities to make a difference. Use it.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
From the video, it appears the Odometers were clicked down in japan before being sent to Oz?
That is correct Alvyn. The dealer in Australia can plead ignorance and say, --
" I didn't know this was happening."
Three things catch them out though.

1. If a fool like me can see a car in Japan they are likely to buy and right, click, save to catch them out, the dealers who make a living from imported cars certainly would know the difference in market price of an old bomb and a shmick first class car in Japan.

2. Hard to make money on a good one when you bring it into Australia because the market is full of old bombs being sold as mint that give all imported cars a bad name. Credit where it is due though, I have seen an odd car with genuine k's bought cheap at auction and make it over here.
But to consistently come up with " Mint " cars with around 50,000k's.
Nope, that is suss.

3. The Japanese Dept of Transport Export certificate. That is the key. Car must have one to leave Japan. It is sent to the importer in Australia.
Shows the klms at last rego inspection in Japan.
The dealer in Australia can not say they never sighted one. It goes to the compliance workshop and part of the documents needed to get the car on road in Australia. You would know straight away if the speedo had been tampered with.

My thoughts are with computers today it would not be hard at all to duplicate this with new figures. Be hard to get the right paper and watermark though.
Other thing I wonder about is if in house compliance workshop makes this step unnescessary.
If customer is savvy enough to ask to see the export certificate the dealer is on the spot though.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Just watched the youtube video. It's the same car Matt posted pics of on facebook [has the same marks and text on the windscreen]. Apparently it is already sold though.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just watched the youtube video. It's the same car Matt posted pics of on facebook [has the same marks and text on the windscreen]. Apparently it is already sold though.
Good news it is the same car, and yes deposit taken. Have been following it all the way from early this year in Japan. Reckoned it should be turning up about now and being complianced and registered ready for delivery to new victim.
Put this thread up hoping the buyer, especially if one of us would see it and not get ripped off. Also hoping word spreads from here to other forums so this practice stops.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Understand the cost to you of the above post. Full respect buddy.

It is done in Japan but the export certificate is part of the compliance proccess. The dealer has to know.

Was hoping police, consumer affairs and media turn up before today.
Hope we don't have to watch another happy customer video with the crook and the victim both smiling about how good the deal was.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts