Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had any experience with a Jacobs Electronics Ignition? They promise very good increases in horespower and mpg. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My feeling is that there is plenty of voltage in the stock systems of most cars for mild cars. Benefits will only be realized once greater demands are put on the ignition by greater air and fuel charges. When the coil went on my mild vette and stang, I replaced it with a Supercoil. No real difference was noticeable. If the coil hadn't already gone, it would have been a valueless mod. No problems with it as a stock replacement though.

W

·
0 Posts
I paid almost $800 for the complete Jacobs setup on a 94 T/A GT, and to tell you the truth, it did nothing! Also they do not make it for the 3000GT

Sam 95 VR4

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,950 Posts
I have been following Jacobs for some time now. They don't have a unit for multi-coil ignition systems. I have a Jacobs on my Van and it did a great job of increasing my fuel economy and torque (hill climbing). Roger tried the B&M unit and found that our transistor pack is probably the weak link in getting more powe to the plugs. Seems to act like a governor.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So how can we fix the transistor pack then????? I'll do anything for more power!

Brian
91 Stealth ES

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Unfortunately, my first try with the help from a friend was not of luck. The transistor pack also feeds the tach and some changes to the systems gave bad feedback to it. I then tried an amplifier stage but this did not fire up at all due to the less fast behaviour of the CMOS switches we used. The problem is that I do not have the instruments to store a waveform lenght with voltages of 400 and more volts peak ! This is why this became a triel and error and I don't like this style of engineering. I will continue with this when winter is gone and I can drive around with the Camaro.

Roger, Switzerland
93'3000GT TT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts