Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues? I have done LOTS of searching and reading and everyone seems to say you can use any version however I have tried 2 other part numbers and have issues. Engine light pointing to code 25 barrometric pressure.
So... I don't need anyone telling me all versions will wor cus I have read this already. I want to know if anyone has had issues? I should also note it's a 1990 JDM GTO Twin Turbo. The part that came off is E5T05072 165.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional info

After cleaning my MAF with Electronic parts cleaner it started having issues. Stumbling etc. I re-cleaned it and it came good for a week then back to the stumbling then CEL pointing to air flow sensor. So I bought a replacement off a wrecker going on the assumption that all versions will work. But as you can see I now have issues. Before I only had code 12. Now the stumbling is gone but still CEL and code 25 this time. Re-fitted my old one and it doesn't run properly but it also doesn't have code 25. Got another one from the wrecker and same deal again. Code 25 engine light. And yes I have cleared the codes etc. I have checked the wiring harness as well. I have posted about this here also.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/cel-code-25-barrometric-pressure-sensor-501593/

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,374 Posts
Joe, the part # for mid 93 plus is not the same. Part # for 90 to mid 93 is MD170165.

The part number for that and to 99 is MD183618.

I have NO CLUE as to the differences between them, but am trying to pass this along....

Bob.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ASA/CAPS on my PC and it lists a different part number for 1st and 2nd gen models and does not list alternatives etc. However if you select the show applicable models option it shows many classification codes. IE. MNGF, MJGF etc etc. But i'm unsure if that means it will work on all years. I assume that the classification changed per year/version so if mine is there it will work..... But I need someone to confirm this.

·
Oil In My Veins
487 Posts
Said that so myself, while restoring a UK 3000GT i had a bad MAF and I tried MAFs from a '93 US 3000GT VR4 and a '96 JDM NA GTO, they did not work proper and had the same CEL Codes. A senior member almost rubbished my claim saying that all the MAFs are interchangable. I'd go with the exact part number if I were you.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. At least I found someone else with the same issue. I have been getting frustrated with it as every thread I can find keeps telling me they all work. maybe all USDM versions are the same. But not so for JDM.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
However the ones I have tried are apparently from Z15A models. So not all JDM are the same :( Have to find a 1st gen TT MAF I think.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have spent a bit of time on ASA and came up with this..

Part #: MD170165 is the 1st gen MAF and according to ASA it's applicable to model classifications MNGF & MNGF2 [both 5 speed twin turbo]

Part #: MD183618 is the 2nd gen MAF and is applicable to classifications MJGF, MJGF9, MNGF, MNGF3 & MNGF9. All are turbo models but mixed between 5 and 6 speeds. Also some are Z15A and some Z16A.... so if this means what I think it does then it debunks the theory that a Z15A one won't work.

Part #: MD187789, MD357337, MD151055 & MD357338 are all none turbo versions both Z15A & Z16A for MNPM, MNPM2, MRPM, MRPM2 & MRPM3.

I will install USDM ASA/CAPS and see what it says for their MAFs

·
15,374 Posts
I don't have CAPS/ASA here at work (they won't let us put SHITOCKI mushrooms on work computers!).

Wish I could help you, but the soonest I can do so is about 6 hours from now...

Bob. :(

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bob. However i just installed it LOL. So it shows the same part numbers for the turbo models.

Part #: MD170165 says for all Z16A
Part #: MD183618 says for all Z15A & Z16A
Part #: MD183609, MD151055 & MD357338 say for all Z11A

So I suspect the difference between the USDM and JDM models is only the ECU. So either I need a USDM ECU or a 1st gen MAF :(

·
15,374 Posts
Finding decent 1g TT ECU's is NOT easy. That being said, most sellers jack the price on them.

Good luck if you take that route...

Bob.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or just go standalone ECU. No need for MAF. But that's another thing i can't afford at the moment :(

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What issue was Bob having though? not the same as me I assume. If it was the same then what could cause a false CEL code 25? and it's not the ECU cus I swapped it out and still the same.

·
15,374 Posts
Brian (Stealthee) is correct. But my son had no codes, just a bucking issue that we originally thought was bad gas.

I still have the 2nd MAS/MAF as a spare...do you want me to check the numbers on it?

Bob. :)

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that would be good. Mine was a 165.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts